Windows 10: Search Everywhere only opens files, not web results

Discus and support Search Everywhere only opens files, not web results in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is referring to the blue "Search Everywhere" panel that slides out from the right, not Cortana or the Start Menu search box. When I type into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pjfarr, Feb 28, 2016.

1. pjfarr Win User

Search Everywhere only opens files, not web results

This is referring to the blue "Search Everywhere" panel that slides out from the right, not Cortana or the Start Menu search box.

When I type into it, it'll list my local files on the top, then web results underneath. Clicking any listed local file will open that file, but clicking on any web results doesn't do anything.

Example: If I type in "ASUS", it'll show any file on my PC with ASUS in the name. Under those results, it then lists results from the web like the ASUS website and other ASUS related results like Google or Bing does. Any local document in the list will open from the search results, but no web links will open (nothing happens when clicked on).

Not sure why this is happening. Anyone else experiencing the same thing or know what could be causing this?

:)

pjfarr, Feb 28, 2016

2. "Search Everywhere" will only opens files, not web results

Same here. Something has changed in Windows 10. The module referenced in this GUID is

{04731B67-D933-450a-90E6-4ACD2E9408FE} CLSID_SearchFolder %SystemRoot%\system32\Windows.Storage.Search.dll

Whereas in Windows 8.1

{04731B67-D933-450a-90E6-4ACD2E9408FE} CLSID_SearchFolder

%SystemRoot%\system32\SearchFolder.dll

And changing the value didn't help. Perhaps you can send a feedback to MS.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Feb 28, 2016
  3. pjfarr Win User
    "Search Everywhere" will only opens files, not web results

This is referring to the blue "Search Everywhere" panel that slides out from the right, not Cortana or the Start Menu search box.

When I type into it, it'll list my local files on the top, then web results underneath. Clicking any listed local file will open that file, but clicking on any web results doesn't do anything.

Example: If I type in "ASUS", it'll show any file on my PC with ASUS in the name. Under those results, it then lists results from the web like the ASUS website and other ASUS related results like Google
    or Bing does. Any local document in the list will open from the search results, but no web links will open (nothing happens when clicked on).

Not sure why this is happening. Anyone else experiencing the same thing or know what could be causing this?

pjfarr, Feb 28, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello pjfarr,

This looks as if you might not have a default browser specified.

Have a look and see what is set under the System settings for Default Apps under the Web Browser:

Search Everywhere only opens files, not web results [​IMG]

philc43, Feb 28, 2016
  5. pjfarr Win User
    Hey philc, thanks for the response. You're right—under Default Apps, there is no default browser indicated. However, when clicking the "+" to choose one, it only lists Firefox and a link to the App Store, no other choices. I want IE to be the default. (I also have Chrome installed, but that doesn't appear in the choices either.)

Looking at "Choose defaults by protocol", it indicates IE for both "http" and "https" and IE does in fact open by default when clicking links and URLs.

Confusing...

pjfarr, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Search Everywhere only opens files, not web results - Similar Threads - Search Everywhere opens

2. Web search results

in Cortana
    Web search results: Hi, my name is Sumiyuru I am using a windows 10 home operating system hp I have a problem in the search box, as experienced in my other 2 computers when I search something in the web it immediately gives me web results but in my hp computer in the search box when I search...
  3. Windows Search Not Showing Web Results

in Cortana
    Windows Search Not Showing Web Results: I have been using a Windows 10 Professional from the past 4 months and from yesterday the Windows Search was not showing any Web Results. I am from India and according to this article:...
  4. Web Search Results Will Not Open After Windows Update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Web Search Results Will Not Open After Windows Update: After a Windows update last night, now I find that I can't get search results to open in any browser -- I just get a blank white page. I can still open anything I have save as a Favorite, but nothing which is returned as a Search result....
  5. Web search results not included in search bar

in Cortana
    Web search results not included in search bar: To whom it may concern, I updated from Windows 10 Home 1803 to 1903 yesterday June 19th 2019. Everything seemed fine after that until I discovered that the web searches are no longer included in my searches from the search bar. It only displays local content from my docs,...
  6. Disable web results in search

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disable web results in search: What am I missing here to stop getting web results when searching for stuff on my PC? Enabling "Do not allow web search" does....nothing..... [img] [img] 120609
  7. Searches Everywhere files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Searches Everywhere files: I recently discovered searches everywhere file over 200K. I need storage to download windows 10 and Office 365. Delete them or harmful? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/searches-everywhere-files/dab8e191-6bbd-4b2a-9765-54dee9159a01
  8. Search only shows Web Results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search only shows Web Results: When I search for something in the search bar, now I am only getting web results. I am not getting computer related items. For example, if I search for printers, I only get web results about printers. I am not getting anything about the printers I have installed on this...
  9. File Explorer Search: Results not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search: Results not opening: When I use File Explorer Search in my user folders, the results appear to have lost their association and do not open when I click them. Before search: [img] After search for "Get" [img] Note the icons have gone, the folder is not listed. Clicking the file does...
  10. Can't get local search results on one machine (only web results)

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't get local search results on one machine (only web results): Hi folks. New to forum :-). Yesterday I upgraded two Dell laptops and my desktop machine to Windows 10. I am really liking it so far. But I have two things I can't seem to resolve: 1. Search - On my two Dell laptops if I search for, say, User Account Control, at the top of...