Windows 10: Search Files and Folders

Discus and support Search Files and Folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In previous versions of Windows, one could press the start button and at the bottom of the column there was a blank space where you could enter a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Peter Johnson, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Search Files and Folders

In previous versions of Windows, one could press the start button and at the bottom of the column there was a blank space where you could enter a filename and locate it on the hard drive. I can't find this tool on Windows 10. Is it there?

Peter

:)

Peter Johnson, Nov 5, 2016
  2. Liezl Fal Win User

search will not search for files and folders the button is greyed out

Hi Norman,

Allow us to ask the following details so we can properly isolate the issue:

• How long have you had this issue?
    • Prior to this concern, have you done any updates on your computer?
    • Have you tried rebooting your computer when you discovered the error?
    We will wait for your reply.

Regards.

Liezl Fal, Nov 5, 2016
  3. search will not search for files and folders the button is greyed out

cortana has stopped searching the button is greyedout just goes to internet

windows 10 build1607

normanfreeth, Nov 5, 2016
  4. Neemobeer Win User

Search Files and Folders

Should be the button directly to the right of the Start button, either the Cortana circle icon or if you disabled cortana it will be a magnifying glass. You can also just press the Start button and start typing, search should automatically pop up.

Neemobeer, Nov 5, 2016
Thema:

Search Files and Folders

1. Search Files and Folders - Similar Threads - Search Files Folders

2. Where is the "SEARCH" for FILE/FOLDER of w10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Where is the "SEARCH" for FILE/FOLDER of w10?: Hello all: For the old version of MS Windows, I know the "SEARCH" function to find a file or folder. But where is the similar-function of SEARCH in the w10? --Zhao...
  3. Windows 10 search is not searching for file contents in OneDrive folder

in Cortana
    Windows 10 search is not searching for file contents in OneDrive folder: Windows 10 search is not searching for file contents in OneDrive folder, despite setting that option in Advanced Options in Indexing Options. Rebuilding index doesn't help with that. It seems to me that OneDrive setting which might preventing searching for file contents is...
  4. search for hidden files & folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    search for hidden files & folders: I have studied the "Advanced Query Syntax" document at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa965711(v=vs.85).aspx but I cannot find an answer to this question: How do I SEARCH FOR (not just show) folders and files whose properties include as an attribute that the...
  5. Searching folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Searching folders: When I search a folder for a word or number, I get one or more files. When I search for exactly the same word or number in the file, I sometimes get a NOT FOUND result. How is that? Am I doping something wrong?...
  6. Searching hidden files/folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching hidden files/folders: This is what I do: In explorer, browse to C:/Username Start a search there containing a folder name I know is in C:/Username/Appdata/Local The folder does not appear in search Hidden files and folders are marked to be visible everywhere. It seems like recursive search...
  7. Searching for files and folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching for files and folders: I seem to remember that in Windows 8 and 8.1, if I searched for a file but didn't remember the exact name of the file, I could type part of the name and the file would be found. But in Windows 10, if I don't type the whole name, and spell it correctly, it just doesn't find...
  8. Searches Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Searches Folder: Under pc>user there is a folder called "searches." There are two sub folders under searchers called 'everywhere' an 'indexed locations.' There is over 128,000 items in everywhere. Is it safe to delete either of this sub folders contents? 90039
  9. searching for files and folders

in Windows 10 Support
    searching for files and folders: I seem to remember that in Windows 8 and 8.1, if I searched for a file but didn't remember the exact name of the file, I could type part of the name and the file would be found. But in Windows 10, if I don't type the whole name, and spell it correctly, it just doesn't find...
  10. Search result - Move folders instead of file

in Windows 10 Support
    Search result - Move folders instead of file: I have done a search for all files with the word e.g. "dvd" in the filename.. It returns a list of files result.. The problems is I want to move the folder/s that contains those files not just the file on it's own.. How can I do this? 72661