Windows 10: Search icon on taskbar

Discus and support Search icon on taskbar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Just had the latest Win 10 update, .After 3 hours of waiting I have now lost the ordinary search icon. I do not use Cortana, I just want the search... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by carrotmuseum, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Search icon on taskbar

Just had the latest Win 10 update, .After 3 hours of waiting I have now lost the ordinary search icon.

I do not use Cortana, I just want the search icon (magnifying glass type) on the tasbar and not the Cortana one.

How do I achieve this? Win 10 pro

:)

carrotmuseum, Oct 17, 2016
  2. jkw741 Win User

Restore magnifying glass icon to taskbar

To restore the search icon to the taskbar > right click on the taskbar > click on "Search" > check "Show search icon"

Now the search icon should show on your taskbar.

jkw741, Oct 17, 2016
  3. Can't find search on Windows 10

Right Click empty area of taskbar> Search/Cortana> Show search box/ Show icon.

This should make a search bar/icon on your taskbar to search files, settings etc.

Sumit Dhiman2, Oct 17, 2016
  4. Search icon on taskbar

right click empty space on the taskbar click cortana select show search box. ignore the cortana icon when searching or better yet disable cortana. i believe the cortana icon stays with search box regardless.

lopedoggie, Oct 17, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    What sort of search do you want it to start?
    1. Cortana search of files and folders is limited to what is indexed by Windows search
    2. File explorer has a search field - and search there is both what is indexed and what is not.
    3. Far better search tools - far faster, more comprehensive, more flexible, more options, easier to use:
    Ultrasearch
    Everything (v1.4b or better) by Void Tools
    Locate32 (which I use but older).

These are free and 'instant'.

I've never had a magnifying glass icon on the taskbar. Having hidden Cortana (via rt click taskbar) I only see it if I use e.g. Windows key + S.

dalchina, Oct 18, 2016
  6. Berton Win User
    To save room on the Taskbar I chose to Show Cortana icon, still functions but just need one click to get the same dialog box.

Berton, Oct 18, 2016
  7. Full search of everything on the pc. I used to have the simple mag glass. Never mind Win 10 let us down again. Still regretting ever "upgrading". Now i have to use an independent app. M/s seems to do as they please on every new update. This latest seems to have screwed several things up, including language settings. Don't see why we are being forced to use Cortana, it's RUBBISH.

carrotmuseum, Oct 18, 2016
  8. Berton Win User

Search icon on taskbar

And the Search box in File Explorer can't do the job? It has a symbol I'd take as the magnifying glass. With the Cortana icon I see the magnifying glass on the left of where it says Ask me anything.

Berton, Oct 18, 2016
  9. JBGoode Win User
    Windows 10 Home never had a magnifying glass type icon although I can't speak for the Pro version. Maybe you were updated to Home instead of Pro?

JBGoode, Oct 18, 2016
  10. Edwin New Member
    The 'Windows 8' style 'Search Everywhere' feature got pulled before the 14xxx Builds,

Search icon on taskbar [​IMG]

It's either Search Explorer: explorer shell:::{9343812e-1c37-4a49-a12e-4b2d810d956b}

or use Cortana, (without using 3rd party)

Edwin, Oct 18, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    Hi, no one forces you to do anything. You're not forced to use Cortana. Cortana (my opinion) is a gimmick, a marketing ploy, responding to Siri e.g. You don't have to use the Win 10 start menu. You don't have to use tiles. You don't have to use the universal apps.

I don't.

Use Win 10 as a desktop OS. Start thinking of MS as providing an OS not a package that provides everything you need.
    Choose the best of class tools that meet your needs. Be happy a good number of those are free.

All that said, MS has made a real mess of handling changes it makes, and in delivering updates and the failures both in those for many and in the delivery of them.

I've not experienced a problem with language settings in the last months - certainly changing language from e.g. US to UK English is not straightforward and lends itself to problems and confusion. Just wondering what your language issue might be?

dalchina, Oct 18, 2016
  12. the ask me anything has a circle. how would I put the explorer mag glass on the taskbar

13. Search icon on taskbar

And yet Cortane cannot be actually turned off or removed! - Well I got it all in English after some hard work then after the update its back to us or uk. its all over place. really sick of p***g about instead of working!! now the third time this has happened. I DO NOT APPROVE OF OUTSIDEINTERVENTION.

14. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Oct 18, 2016
  15. Clearly an old tutorial as that no longer works. Now if you disable Cortana you get nothing - the whole point of my posting.

Thema:

Search icon on taskbar

1. Search icon on taskbar - Similar Threads - Search icon taskbar

2. What is this icon in the search taskbar?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is this icon in the search taskbar?: Why is this icon appearing in the search bar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-this-icon-in-the-search-taskbar/efb0dc9b-2403-4522-8510-8f1290712557
  3. What is this icon in the search taskbar?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is this icon in the search taskbar?: Why is this icon appearing in the search bar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-this-icon-in-the-search-taskbar/efb0dc9b-2403-4522-8510-8f1290712557
  4. What is this icon in the search taskbar?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Confusing taskbar search icon

in Cortana
    Confusing taskbar search icon: Did Windows mistakenly replace Windows 11's search icon with Windows 10's? It's really not seamless with other icons. And is there a way to set the icon back to the original? like the icon of the search box...
  6. Confusing taskbar search icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Confusing taskbar search icon: Did Windows mistakenly replace Windows 11's search icon with Windows 10's? It's really not seamless with other icons. And is there a way to set the icon back to the original? like the icon of the search box...
  7. Confusing taskbar search icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Search engine icon on taskbar

in Cortana
    Search engine icon on taskbar: Hello I recently added the cortana icon to my taskbar and the old search icon has disappeared. Has the cortana replaced the old sign ? I would like to have the sign back because it helps me search and find files easily....
  9. search icon on taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    search icon on taskbar: I have both desktop and laptop set up on 10. The desktop has "Search the web and Windows" on the task bar. It's not on the laptop. How do I get it. Thanks. 24297
  10. Search icon in taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    Search icon in taskbar: magnifying glass missing from taskbar How to I get this back Please.Many thanks.*Sad 77118