Windows 10: Search in certain files

Discus and support Search in certain files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, how can i search within the content of only certain files ? Also, is there a page that contains the list for all Win10 search functions ? I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Frank1000, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Frank1000 Win User

Search in certain files

Hi,
    how can i search within the content of only certain files ?

Also, is there a page that contains the list for all Win10 search functions ? I'm looking it up since 30 minutes but can't find anything.

I need to seach the term blabla in all .doc files, how is that syntaxed in the Win-Explorer search. Seems its nothing like it was in previous win8 version.

Thx,
    Frank

:)

Frank1000, Dec 26, 2015

2. File search: how to search for files that must contain a certain term

Hi Martin,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving your issue.

The duplicates of any file, folder or a document can be determined by the file name containing a number in the brackets along with the actual file name. A file, folder or a document without a number in the brackets are the actual files.

Type "* (?).txt" in the search box of the file explorer to locate the duplicates of all the
    mp3 files in a folder and check if the issue is resolved.

Get back to us if you face any further issues, we will be happy to assist.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Dec 26, 2015
  3. Martin_13 Win User
    File search: how to search for files that must contain a certain term

I have a small problem: I use google music to store my music in the cloud, and uploaded music from another PC with a nearly identical music set. I now have a lot of files double, sometimes even triple. I want to completely delete my google music cloud and
    reupload everything.

To do that, I am trying to delete my doubles and triples.

I was thinking I could use file search in the folder that I downloaded the libraby to, to find my double files.

I intended to search for the following term (*).mp3, as files with the same name get, for example, a (1).mp3 added to the end of the file name, then delete them.

I tried nameSearch in certain files :(*).mp3 and name:=(*).mp3 and "(*).mp3, or numbers for the asterisks, but nothing seems to get me the results I want. It always displays all the files that contain a 1 somewhere, which means I end up deleting all files that were the first song
    of an album.

Am I using the search syntax wrong? What would be the correct one?

Martin_13, Dec 26, 2015
  4. YOU
    You Win User

Search in certain files

Click in the search box and the Search tab will appear, then click on Advanced Options and check File Contents (to enable content searching in non-indexed locations, not really necessary for folders like r Documents but necessary to search in system folders). Next, if want to search inside a specific folder, navigate to the folder and type the search into the search bar. To list all files of one type, if know the extension of the file (examples are exe, txt, jpg, png), just type *.exe in the search bar, replacing exe with the file extension. If want to search the content of multiple files of a certain type (e.g. documents, pictures, notes), can, in the Search tab, click Kind and select the type, e.g. document., then just type the word are searching for in its content into the search bar.

What will do to search for that doc file is click the Search tab, Kind, select Document, then type blablablah into the search box next to the kind:=document
    (of course, navigate to the location it may be in before searching)

5. Frank1000 Win User
    Hi & thx for your answer.
    Question 1:
    if i want to search sub-directories for files with the extension .php and content blahblah, is it correct to type

EXTSearch in certain files :php blahblah

in the search field of Win10-Explorer ?

Question 2:
    Is there a page online where Microsoft left a list of the search Terms and syntax for the Win10 Explorer ?

When i cklick the help icon of the Win10 Explorer there is a lot of bing selective answers, but didn't find a page that acts as a comprehensive manual for it.

Regards,
    Frank

Frank1000, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Search in certain files

1. Search in certain files - Similar Threads - Search certain files

2. Windows Search not working for certain files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search not working for certain files: Hello, i am having a problem with the Windows search function.It does not seem to find any Guitar Pro files like .gp, .gp3, etc.I have checked in the search index settings that the files are included and have tried rebuilding the index multiple times and with different...
  3. Windows Search not working for certain files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Search not working for certain files: Hello, i am having a problem with the Windows search function.It does not seem to find any Guitar Pro files like .gp, .gp3, etc.I have checked in the search index settings that the files are included and have tried rebuilding the index multiple times and with different...
  4. Windows Search not searching contents for certain extensions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Search not searching contents for certain extensions: Been looking for this for several days.I have a couple of file extensions that Window's search is not searching contents for? .kjb and .kjrIf I change the extention to .txt if finds it based on the contents of the file. I even went so far as to make a copy and change the...
  5. Windows Search not searching contents for certain extensions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search not searching contents for certain extensions: Been looking for this for several days.I have a couple of file extensions that Window's search is not searching contents for? .kjb and .kjrIf I change the extention to .txt if finds it based on the contents of the file. I even went so far as to make a copy and change the...
  6. Windows Search not finding certain files anymore Search Bar

Windows Search not finding certain files anymore Search Bar: Since somewhen last week, or at most two weeks, the Windows Search, when executed over the Search Bar, doeesn't find certain files anymore. Searching over the Windows Explorer still does find themThree of these examples, all of which are somewhere in a subfolder of \Users\......
  7. Windows Search not finding certain files anymore Search Bar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search not finding certain files anymore Search Bar: Since somewhen last week, or at most two weeks, the Windows Search, when executed over the Search Bar, doeesn't find certain files anymore. Searching over the Windows Explorer still does find themThree of these examples, all of which are somewhere in a subfolder of \Users\......
  8. Windows Search not finding certain files anymore Search Bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. Search for files having a certain property

Search for files having a certain property: Is it possible to use the File Explorer to search for flies have a certain property, e.g. size, date, title associated with an audio file, etc.? If so, where is the syntax of the search string defined?...
  10. Windows search won't find certain files

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows search won't find certain files: I'm having a strange issue with Windows search. I have a folder with dozens of articles saved in PDF format. If I open the folder and use the search bar to find a particular file by name it shows zero results. If I navigate to the immediate outer folder in which the article...