Windows 10: Search in Settings window after November update

Discus and support Search in Settings window after November update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The system Settings window has a search box in the upper right corner. Would anyone give me a single example of search term that finds anything by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AndreyT, Nov 17, 2015.

1. AndreyT Win User

Search in Settings window after November update

The system Settings window has a search box in the upper right corner. Would anyone give me a single example of search term that finds anything by using that search box?

It seems to work OK on my pre-1511 clean install. But on all updated machines it always comes up with "No results for <whatever>", regardless of what I search for. Neither clean-installed nor updated machines find anything.

Does anyone have it working?

:)

AndreyT, Nov 17, 2015
  2. ARomee Win User

Search in Settings makes settings window close

When I do a search for something in the Settings window, as soon as I click enter, the window disappear. I tried to just type in the search box without clicking enter, but it still disappears when the results are about to come up. I use this search a lot,
    because it's a new laptop.

I tried it in Cortana, & it does the same thing, the window closes.

I recently had my laptop worked on my Office Depot Tech guy, & I'm wondering if he did something. Please help.

ARomee, Nov 17, 2015
  3. Ar Rom Win User
    Search in Settings makes settings window close

Hi,

There are certain steps that you can do to troubleshoot this issue regarding the search in settings and Cortana crashing. Kindly follow the steps provided by AntonyJose on this

link
    and see if it resolves your concern.

Get back to us if you need further assistance.

Ar Rom, Nov 17, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

Works fine for me (clean install of 1511). Are you still running as the built-in Administrator?

Search in Settings window after November update [​IMG]

5. AndreyT Win User
    No, in all cases I'm using a non-built-in Admin.

AndreyT, Nov 17, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    Actually that was a red herring - I just checked built-in Administrator and the same search for the term wifi worked there also.

You do seem to be having a lot of problems with your install. Have you considered clean installing again or perhaps clean installing in a VM and seeing if you get the same issues there?

7. AndreyT Win User
    I wonder if removing "Allow indexing..." flag from drive C: has anything to do with this.

Added: Indeed! This was the issue. Once I returned the indexing flag, it began to work.

AndreyT, Nov 17, 2015
  8. lx07 Win User

Could be. Mine is ticked (the default) to allow indexing of contents.

EDIT I type too slow - good news *Smile

lx07, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Search in Settings window after November update - Similar Threads - Search Settings window

2. "Win32AppBackgroundContext" message after a Windows update in November 2023

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Win32AppBackgroundContext" message after a Windows update in November 2023: Apparently there was a Windows update on my Surface and now I keep getting a "Win32AppBackgroundContext" message . . . it comes up after my screen times out? How do I get rid of this please?...
  3. Windows environment--search, settings, etc.--not working after update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows environment--search, settings, etc.--not working after update: Since the May 2020 update, the Windows environment has become inaccessible on my Surface Pro. Search window is empty. Cannot change or see settings. OneDrive stopped working and I received this message: "This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be...
  4. No picture after November Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No picture after November Update: I downloaded the November update through Windows update last night. There was also a bunch of other things that needed updating. Everything required a restart so I clicked restart and went to bed. I woke up this morning and I have no input signal to either of my monitors....
  5. November Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    November Update: Someone at Microsoft isn't thinking very well. I had my logon set up the way I wanted it and the November update blew that up. Let's use our heads guys and don't mess with user settings you ARE NOT asked to mess with. OK?...
  6. Wifi connection after windows 10 november update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi connection after windows 10 november update: Hi After the Windows 10 November update, my wifi works on every second startup. In fact, after I turn it on, I need to restart the laptop to get it to work. I tried reinstalling the network driver and resetting network devices....
  7. Location settings issue after the November, 12 update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Location settings issue after the November, 12 update: Hello, I would like to report a problem with the location settings after the Cumulative Update KB4524570 (1903-OS Build 18362.476). I've had disabled location detection on Location Privacy Settings and my apps were showing my 'default location' instead, but after the update...
  8. Windows 10 November 2019 Update improves File Explorer search

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 November 2019 Update improves File Explorer search: Microsoft is getting Windows 10 November 2019 Update (version 1909) ‘ready for release’ in the coming weeks. As November 2019 Update is a servicing release, it will be offered as an “enablement package” with a KB package number just like the monthly cumulative updates....
  9. Currupt files after November update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Currupt files after November update: Hi there - After the November update I suddenly found - using SFC and DISM - that my system has some corrupt files, but was unable to fix some of them - its only one file: CSI Payload Corrupt...
  10. Windows 10 Fall Update is Set for November Release

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Fall Update is Set for November Release: [img] According to a trusted source, Microsoft will release the “Threshold 2” (TH2) release of Windows 10 in November as the Windows 10 Fall Update. And unlike the post-RTM Windows Insider builds we’ve been getting, the Fall Update will ship as a cumulative update, not as...