Windows 10: Search indexing is taking a remarkably long time.

Discus and support Search indexing is taking a remarkably long time. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Yesterday, I restored my system from a system image that I had made the night before with Macrium Reflect Free. It worked fine, except that when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by hbenthow, Jan 28, 2017.

1. hbenthow Win User

Search indexing is taking a remarkably long time.

Yesterday, I restored my system from a system image that I had made the night before with Macrium Reflect Free. It worked fine, except that when I logged into Windows and typed a search term in the Start Menu, I saw a message saying that search indexing was turned off (a pretty common and easy-to-fix issue, to the best of my knowledge). I opened Indexing Options, and chose to delete and rebuild the search index (which I believe is the proper action to take in a case such as mine), but it is taking a very long time. It's been over 30 hours, and it still hasn't finished indexing. Not only that, but the process seems to be getting slower the more time passes. Here's a screenshot I took a few minutes ago:

Search indexing is taking a remarkably long time. [​IMG]

:)

hbenthow, Jan 28, 2017

2. Windows 10 - Why does the search searches only some programs (not all)?

So it must be something with your profile, maybe like a cache or indexing issue. Hmm, maybe try rebuilding the search index. (Although this can take a long time as Windows will index all your files and programs again).

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/how-to-solve-windows-search-issues-index-rebuild/

Yasshiel Zhang, Jan 28, 2017
  3. iangie Win User
    Is there any chance for win10 to search a file under C drive?

Thanks for replying, but the search box in the Explorer windows is also only showing results in several specific locations.

I found an Indexing Options setting in the control panel and am rebuilding indexes (takes extremely long time to build). Finger crossing....

iangie, Jan 28, 2017
  4. hbenthow Win User

I wound up solving the problem on my own. First, I set it to only index "Offline Files", "Start Menu", and "Users" (as I have no need to it to index all of my music, documents, etc). That didn't help in and of itself (although it did give Windows a lot of less files to have to index). It was still extremely slow. Then, I turned my computer off and back on, and it suddenly started working very fast. It indexed over 7,800 files in mere minutes, and was finished.

hbenthow, Jan 28, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Very slow indexing, assuming your system is not busy - when indexing pauses - could indicate file system corruption or a disk problem.

Could be worth running chkdsk and Crystal Diskinfo (free, checks SMART parameters).

dalchina, Jan 28, 2017
  6. hbenthow Win User
    I believe it was an issue related to an external hard drive I had plugged in at the time. I haven't had the problem since the events described in my second post. Indexing is fast now.

Thank you, though.

hbenthow, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Search indexing is taking a remarkably long time. - Similar Threads - Search indexing taking

2. Windows Search Index rebuild time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Search Index rebuild time: Microsoft Windows Search Indexer was taking up unusually high CPU and power output on my windows 11 laptop. On an online forum, I read that if restarting the service doesn't work the best way is to rebuild the entire index.Now it's been almost 3 days since the search index...
  3. Windows Search Index rebuild time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search Index rebuild time: Microsoft Windows Search Indexer was taking up unusually high CPU and power output on my windows 11 laptop. On an online forum, I read that if restarting the service doesn't work the best way is to rebuild the entire index.Now it's been almost 3 days since the search index...
  4. Windows update search take long time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows update search take long time: Hi, I have a problem since today, since the last windows 20H2 update. When I want to search an update the loading searching take a very long time (~25mn) and I have an error and I can clic on retry. I want to know if this is a known problem ? Thx submitted by /u/TheMagiiK...
  5. My scanner takes such a long time

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My scanner takes such a long time: my scanner takes such a long time * Moved from Office/Outlook/Win 10 * Original title: paper port https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-scanner-takes-such-a-long-time/bc2c1af7-dc9c-4028-8318-c5906bae2bc0
  6. Taking too long time to Refresh.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taking too long time to Refresh.: I recently got virus in my system,I decided to reset my PC.Still virus has left it marks.But windows defender is trying hard to block.Whenever I want to refresh,it takes too long time.Can u help me to resolve this....
  7. Refresh takes long time

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Refresh takes long time: When I am refreshing my laptop it takes long time and other functions also do not work in that time. Please help me.what i do now. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/refresh-takes-long-time/ad06e73f-0345-4a39-a9ba-f0ebf6dc5cb9
  8. Searching for updates takes very long

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Searching for updates takes very long: Hi, Since today manually searching for updates takes unusually long. Is something wrong with the microsoft servers at the moment? Anyone else have that problem? Was planning to set up my laptop today but I will wait a bit if the update servers are wonky right now. 84565
  9. System Restore taking a long time

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore taking a long time: I am trying to use system restore but the screen has said that it is restoring the system for a very long time. My old windows XP computer seemed to do it very quickly. Do I just wait ? Would turning the computer off cause problems ? 65203
  10. Login takes a long time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Login takes a long time: Hi, since the fresh installation of win10 after awhile login takes a long time. I created a new user and copied all my files to that account and the problem was solved but after 3-4 Weeks it gets slower and now it almost takes a minute to login into windows. Booting is...