Windows 10: Search installed programs does not work

Discus and support Search installed programs does not work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As far as I can tell. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 620 with 4GB of ram, Windows 10 Home, 64 bit. When I left click the "start" button in the lower left,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RonNewYork, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Search installed programs does not work

As far as I can tell. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 620 with 4GB of ram, Windows 10 Home, 64 bit. When I left click the "start" button in the lower left, nothing happens. I have the search icon next to it but it too doesn't respond to the left mouse button. When I right click the start button and select Search nothing happens. I can right click and select run but... now I have to figure out the program names. How do I run installed programs?

For example, if I want to run Paint, I cannot unless i find the complete path to it. I tried pinning something to the Start Menu and that didn't error out but nothing is displayed.

Also, I cannot type anything in the4 "Search the web and Windows" text box (if it is a text box. If not, what is it?)

Thanks.

RON

:)

RonNewYork, Apr 2, 2016

2. Windows Search does not find installed programs.

We suggest that you try these troubleshooting steps:

1. Right-click on the Start button and select Task Manager.

2. In the Processes tab, select Cortana and click on
    End task.

Search installed programs does not work [​IMG]

3. Scroll down to the bottom of the Task Manager window and select Windows Explorer, then click on
    Restart.

Search installed programs does not work [​IMG]

Regards.

Aileen Alf, Apr 2, 2016
  3. Windows Search does not find installed programs.

I have tried both of those potential solutions from other threads I have found like this. However I have tried them again just to be sure, it still does not find my installed programs.

ThatOneLegion, Apr 2, 2016
  4. Search installed programs does not work

I'm not sure if rebooting helped. It seems like it did but the bigger problem may just be that the Start menu is not that responsive. The WIn7 start button was very fast and this one is much slower. Not agonizingly slow but slow enough that I thought it wasn't working.

This may be part of a more general problem. For instance I tried using Cortana which to me just seems a way to pipe questions to IE. OK, that's fine. The IE window comes up but it is blank. I tried putting something in the search bar like Google but again the window is empty. I don't use IE anyway so not much of an issue but perhaps indicative of other issues???

I restarted IE and now it works. Maybe it just needed to go through some "First Time" stuff???

RonNewYork, Apr 2, 2016
Thema:

Search installed programs does not work

1. Search installed programs does not work - Similar Threads - Search installed programs

2. Search does not work correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search does not work correctly: Why do I keep getting "Telegram" and "Uninstall Telegram" when I have uninstalled it. Every time I search for it I get the image. I have reinstalled and uninstalled it and it still appears. Of course, if I click open or click either one of them, nothing happens....
  3. Search does not work correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search does not work correctly: Why do I keep getting "Telegram" and "Uninstall Telegram" when I have uninstalled it. Every time I search for it I get the image. I have reinstalled and uninstalled it and it still appears. Of course, if I click open or click either one of them, nothing happens....
  4. search bar does not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    search bar does not work: well, to begin the windows search bar wont work, it does not let me type anything , i tried to do a trouble shooting and this apears when i try to load the trouble shooting: "error 0x80131018" , i tried to open windows powershell but that only opens and closes itself...
  5. search bar does not work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    search bar does not work: well, to begin the windows search bar wont work, it does not let me type anything , i tried to do a trouble shooting and this apears when i try to load the trouble shooting: "error 0x80131018" , i tried to open windows powershell but that only opens and closes itself...
  6. Windows Search does not work

in Cortana
    Windows Search does not work: The last time Windows Search worked was today at 15:30, then I shut my laptop down and when I turned it back on, boom didn't work. I've tried everything, from restarting the process itself in task manager to re-installing packages in Windows Powershell. But nothing seems to...
  7. taskbar search does not work

in Windows 10 Customization
    taskbar search does not work: Taskbar search block come up, but any entry gets a blank screen - no results https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-search-does-not-work/5f5d7bac-ad3d-40b6-8813-71f3ea0b867d
  8. Search bar does not work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Search bar does not work: I can not enter any item in the search bar https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-bar-does-not-work/aa1a60df-7d11-459c-97c5-e41a5cea64c6
  9. Program search stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Program search stopped working: I tried the other day to search for a program on the start menu and it worked fine. I then set up Cortana for speech mode and all I get now when typing in the box are four blue dots scrolling at the top of the search box. Anyone know a fix or will MS fix this in SR1? Tim...
  10. does the notification center work only with installed programs?

in Windows 10 Support
    does the notification center work only with installed programs?: hi does the notification center work only with installed programs? i have installed radiosure , and i get notification , i run radiosure in portable mode and can't get any notification thanks 11315