Windows 10: Search not finding files or settings, only web and store?

Discus and support Search not finding files or settings, only web and store? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi All, When I type in the search box in the task bar, the results are only from the web and the store and not my files, folders or my settings on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Cornishman, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Search not finding files or settings, only web and store?

Hi All,
    When I type in the search box in the task bar, the results are only from the web and the store and not my files, folders or my settings on my pc.
    This was working fine a few days ago.
    The example below is when I typed "device manager"
    Any ideas please?

Search not finding files or settings, only web and store? [​IMG]

:)

Cornishman, Sep 20, 2015

2. Sudenly, Search only finds Web Items

Hi Gator,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest on windows 10 and also for trying troubleshooting steps to fix issue.

I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

This issue could have occurred due to incorrect installation of windows 10.

I would suggest you to follow the below methods to fix issue.

Method 1. Clean Boot.
    Booting the computer in a clean boot state can reduce software conflicts and help identify the root cause of the issue. You can refer to this article for more information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Disclaimer:

After troubleshooting, reset the computer to start as usual. Refer to the step How to set the computer to start as usual after clean boot troubleshooting under more information.

Method 2. Run the SFC (System File Checker).
    System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Refer the following Microsoft knowledge based article to perform SFC scan.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

I hope this helps.

Let us know the status of the issue so that I can assist you better.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Sep 20, 2015
  3. Sudenly, Search only finds Web Items

Suddenly, when I search in the search bar, I am only getting web results. For example, other threads in the community has suggested that you open the Troubleshooting app to see error reports and such. If I type troubleshooting in the search bar, I only get
    web results. If I then click on My Stuff, the search completely goes away. This just started happening recently although I can't say exactly when.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I have tried to run an in place repair that I have read about (it preserves all your programs and settings while refreshing windows). That is not working for me either as I get the Modern Host not working error during the repair and the entire process
    crashes.

Why is all this so hard??

Gator5000e, Sep 20, 2015
  4. Search not finding files or settings, only web and store?

Torquemada, Sep 20, 2015
  5. I have just found out why the search wasn't working on my pc!
    Last week I installed a new Samsung SSD and loaded the Samsung magician software.
    It was this software that had turned off the indexing on my drive, so I've changed the settings.
    I might even uninstall the Samsung Magician software.
    Everything is working now (I hope).

Cornishman, Sep 20, 2015
  6. Edwin New Member
    @ Cornishman

By your screenshot, it looks like Cortana's not totally set up, you should have 4 icons in the menu:

right click on Start and choose Search, you may get some more options to complete the setup.

Edwin, Sep 20, 2015
  7. Well I never!
    Thanks Edwin! I didn't realize that it wasn't set up properly!
    It's OK now! Cheers!

Cornishman, Sep 20, 2015
  8. Search not finding files or settings, only web and store?

What a carry on ! Not that I'd ever use this search engine or Cortana I end up here. *Redface

Torquemada, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Search not finding files or settings, only web and store?

1. Search not finding files or settings, only web and store? - Similar Threads - Search finding files

2. file explorer search finds only 1/2 of the files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer search finds only 1/2 of the files: I searched for a single a. I got 900,000 alphabetized results, but nothing after k. I searched for goka and got 12 results, but nothing after m. Search troubleshooter did not fix it. What should I do?...
  3. file explorer search finds only 1/2 of the files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer search finds only 1/2 of the files: I searched for a single a. I got 900,000 alphabetized results, but nothing after k. I searched for goka and got 12 results, but nothing after m. Search troubleshooter did not fix it. What should I do?...
  4. file explorer search finds only 1/2 of the files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Search results to find folders only as the default search.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search results to find folders only as the default search.: Hi, I have thousands of client folders on my laptop with tens of thousands of files. I would like to have only client folders found when I use the search function as I am trying to 'find' a particular clients file so I can add/modify/ delete items etc. At the moment...
  6. no search the web?

in Cortana
    no search the web?: cortana sometimes searches the web when you don't want her to, while apple's siri can let you say "search the web for <subject>" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-search-the-web/efb003a7-5a55-4bda-8968-1e8518fb1b05"
  7. Search doesn't find web shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Search doesn't find web shortcuts: I have a program group that contains a bunch of shortcuts. Some are applications. Some are shortcut links to web pages or web-based control panels. The problem is that ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, searching doesn't find the web shortcuts. For example, "Password...
  8. Search Everywhere only opens files, not web results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search Everywhere only opens files, not web results: This is referring to the blue "Search Everywhere" panel that slides out from the right, not Cortana or the Start Menu search box. When I type into it, it'll list my local files on the top, then web results underneath. Clicking any listed local file will open that file, but...
  9. Search only shows Web Results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search only shows Web Results: When I search for something in the search bar, now I am only getting web results. I am not getting computer related items. For example, if I search for printers, I only get web results about printers. I am not getting anything about the printers I have installed on this...
  10. Windows Search only searching Web and Store.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search only searching Web and Store.: Hopefully somebody knows how to fix this. I have 2 machines running windows 10, and it seems like a lot of struggle of late. My latest problem as of this eve on my downstairs machine, is that Windows Search seems to be confined to just the store and web. Meaning, if I click...