Windows 10: Search not finding Windows Update

Discus and support Search not finding Windows Update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, when I try to find Windows Update via Windows Search (or via search inside Settings window), no such option is found. It's similar with some other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by argonisius, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Search not finding Windows Update

Hi,
    when I try to find Windows Update via Windows Search (or via search inside Settings window), no such option is found. It's similar with some other settings.

It worked fine, but now it does not. I've tried rebuilding search index, but with no luck.

Any ideas how to fix it? Thanks.

:)

argonisius, Jan 25, 2016

2. Windows 10 Creator's Update: Search Not Finding Apps

Follow Up: I had the setting turned back off when I installed a new piece of software. All previously installed software was searchable, but the new software was not.

I turned the setting back on and rebooted, and the new software was searchable as well.

So, the setting needs to stay on for it to adapt to changes as to what is installed. If it is off, then search seems to continue working with the last known data. If it is correct, then it will launch. If the last known data is out of date, then it will
    not launch.

Steven Jay Cohen, Jan 25, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Creator's Update: Search Not Finding Apps

The fix did work for me. Thank you!

I want to provide a bit more info on my symptoms before the fix.

Start Menu Search did issue the symptoms described by the original post, but with the following additions:

Some pre-Installed Programs (like Calculator) would open via search just fine.

Software that I had installed IMMEDIATELY after Windows 10 would open via search just fine.

Some pre-installed programs (like Powershell) would not start from the shortcuts displayed by search.

All recently installed programs would not start from the shortcuts displayed by search.

Again, the fix posted here did fix the problem.

I then DISABLED "Let apps run in the background" completely and restarted.

All apps I tested seemed to work normally.

So, enabling this switch seems to allow the proper indexing to take place for the start menu to function as designed. Once the content has been indexed, it works even when the setting has been disabled once again.

Even applications that I had never accessed this way seem to work properly via search now. So, I am not sure why they hadn't been indexed earlier.

I have not yet installed a brand new piece of software to see if it is searchable without needing to re-enable the switch from this fix.

Steven Jay Cohen, Jan 25, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Search not finding Windows Update

Hi, basics, can you navigate to it successfully? Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update

The search in Settings depends on Users (under C: ) being included in Indexed Locations.

Search not finding Windows Update [​IMG]

Check (Windows key + X, Control Panel, Indexing Options....)

Hope that helps.

dalchina, Jan 25, 2016
  5. Hi, thanks for your reply.

I can navigate to it just fine, only the search is not working. My indexing options should be fine:

Search not finding Windows Update [​IMG]

argonisius, Jan 25, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Perhaps it's a language issue. It looks as if you've customised your GUI language, so presumably the text you are searching for isn't actually Update, for example.

Can you find anything in Settings - in particular a string with no accented characters?
    - and conversely, a string with accented characters?

What is the actual string you are searching for?

dalchina, Jan 25, 2016
  7. lx07 Win User
    Does "indexovani bylo dokonceno" mean "Indexing complete"? If so you could click on advanced then rebuild the index.

Also have you added any language packs recently? Some updates (like the cumulative ones) you need to re-install if you install a language pack.

EDIT
    This is a good point also seems others have similar issue...

Windows 10 x64 with lang.pack - some matters are not translated - Windows 10 Forums

8. dalchina New Member

That's an interesting one.. what's the interplay between updates (not upgrades) and language packs? I'd have hoped the language packs effectively update a database, independently of updates.. Umm.. (I'm using English UK, so probably won't notice, thankfully..*Smile)

And how does the GUI text relate to the terms that are indexed- is there only one source in a language pack, or one for the GUI and one for terms to be indexed= more possibility of error, and a bad idea?

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Search not finding Windows Update - Similar Threads - Search finding Update

2. Windows Search Not Finding Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search Not Finding Files: Windows 10 Version: 20H2 (OS Build 19042,1052) I've always had problem with searching files. If I "search this PC" and type in a folder or file name, nothing ever comes up. It just says "working on it" forever as the little bar moves. If I search a specific folder, sometimes...
  3. Windows search feature not finding anything

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows search feature not finding anything: Hello, I am using the windows search function quite a lot, especially for pdfs and other documents and it has always been working fine. A few weeks ago, my PC Win 10 Pro did an automated update. Since then, my windows search function does not work at all. It does not even...
  4. Can't find this update with general Internet search

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't find this update with general Internet search: Running Win10 Pro on Lenovo ThinkPad...everything is up to date with Lenovo and Windows. In the "Optional Updates" section of Windows Updates, there's one called: Lenovo - System - Update 9.2.0.3 Don't want to just blindly install it but searched the Internet and can't...
  5. Windows Search Not Finding Documents

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Search Not Finding Documents: I'm using Windows 10, and every time I search for a document in the search bar, nothing comes up except for Bing search results. This has been happening for a few days now and it may be due to some update as the search results look different than before. I tried running the...
  6. Windows Search not finding file that IS there!

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search not finding file that IS there!: Hi, I'm very confused.. I am looking for any files on my computer that have "Hybrid - Analog Women" in the name, no matter what the file extension is. I know for a fact that there is one called Hybrid - Analog Women.nksn on one of my drives yet it is returning "No items match...
  7. Windows Search Not finding anything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Search Not finding anything: In my taskbar my SearchUI.exe file is showing suspended. I am not able to solve it from any method I have tried alot. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-search-not-finding-anything/26db598e-e2b2-40a3-98a7-84d9c1e38ec5
  8. windows search can't find d:drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows search can't find d:drive: When i type in the windows search bar it doesn't seem like it finds files from all of my drives. My entire D:drive is missing. I have tried adding them in index settings but the drive wasn't there. To me this seems like a hardware problem but i just want to be sure....
  9. Windows search wont find everything.

in Cortana
    Windows search wont find everything.: My windows search wont find some things, for example when I search for "Steam" it comes up with "Steam Tile" from the windows store and wants me to install it....
  10. Windows Search Not Finding Items

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search Not Finding Items: [img] Windows doesn't work correctly. I am trying to find OneDrive app but its only showing the folder. Any idea? By the way, i already tried to rebuild my search index but still doesn't work. 123134