Windows 10: Search Not Working Correctly

Discus and support Search Not Working Correctly in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, My search box doesnt seem to be working correctly. When i seach for my files, nothing appears unless i click search my stuff > Other place to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mitchell, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Mitchell Win User

Search Not Working Correctly

Hi,
    My search box doesnt seem to be working correctly.

When i seach for my files, nothing appears unless i click search my stuff > Other place to look > File explorer.

Its fine when searching for apps such as Word or Edge.

I've tried rebuilding my index and what not but i cant seem to get it to work.

I have attachted a screen shot of my current search build

:)

Mitchell, Sep 11, 2015

2. Search Bar not working correctly

I tried doing that but unfortunately it didn't work. I did every step and restarted my PC as well. I also checked the search menu to see if it works now, but unfortunately, it's still doing the same thing...

Jeremy_798814, Sep 11, 2015
  3. Search Bar not working correctly

Run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

Follow the below steps:

1. Open Control Panel.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Click on Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

4. Run the Troubleshooter.

Run the DISM Tool. If the issue persists, I would have run the DISM tool to check the system health and will try to restore the files.

1. Click on 'Start'.

2. Enter 'Command prompt' in the Search box.

3. In the list of results, swipe down on or right-click Command Prompt, and then tap or click 'Run as administrator'.

4. In the Administrator: Command Prompt Window, type the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

To close the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type Exit,

and then press Enter.

Note: The tool might take 15-20 minutes to finish running, so please do not cancel it.

Andre Da Costa, Sep 11, 2015
  4. Mitchell Win User

I think I may have fixed the problem, but can somebody answer this.

i have search to only look for stuff on my PC and NOT on the web.

when searching locally do I have to click "search my stuff" before I see local files?

because if I do, I feel like it's a step down from windows 7 on my opionion and adds an extra click or hit of the button just to search

Mitchell, Sep 11, 2015
  5. WhyMe Win User
    There are actually no clicks required. You just type in the command (spelt correctly) and click Enter on the keyboard. The app opens up immediately!

So for example, that is how I open regedit, gpedit or netplwiz. Just type the command and click enter. No need to select 'my stuff' or 'web' if spelt correctly.

WhyMe, Sep 11, 2015
  6. WhyMe Win User
    Just re-read your posts again. Just checked and this works exactly the same with files too.

Example (just tested it):
    • I have a file called "top rad position.jpg" in my pictures folder
    • I type "top rad" in search box
    • Click the Enter button on keyboard
    • The photo opens up immediately in my default program
    • Obviously, if you have more than one file starting with 'top rad' then I would have need to continue typing 'position' to get to the right choice.
    • The 'My Stuff' file choices are at the top of the list and narrow down as you type more letters
    • Only when there is one left, that is when you hit Enter

WhyMe, Sep 11, 2015
  7. Mitchell Win User
    My Search Wont show any results unless i hit enter to "search my stuff" *cry

Mitchell, Sep 12, 2015
  8. WhyMe Win User

Hey, could you post a screenshot of you doing a search for a file please? It may (only may) help to see what it looks like at your end.

So type your chosen file name and then do a screenshot if possible please *Smile

WhyMe, Sep 12, 2015
  9. nabucco Win User
    Really, search in start menu does not work very well (at least in my computer):

On the left: search box results: 19 items
    On the right: search with File Explorer (well, XYplorer, but is the same): 135 items (búsqueda rápida = quick search)

nabucco, Sep 12, 2015
  10. Mitchell Win User
    Search Not Working Correctly [​IMG]
    So I decided to give Windows 10 Another try.
    The were still indexing message still appears, but I still have to click, "Search my Stuff" which is an extra step compared to Windows 7.
    I have Web Search off.

I've also noticed when click search my stuff, I have the dots flying across, if that means anything

Mitchell, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Search Not Working Correctly - Similar Threads - Search Working Correctly

2. Search does not work correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search does not work correctly: Why do I keep getting "Telegram" and "Uninstall Telegram" when I have uninstalled it. Every time I search for it I get the image. I have reinstalled and uninstalled it and it still appears. Of course, if I click open or click either one of them, nothing happens....
  3. Search does not work correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search does not work correctly: Why do I keep getting "Telegram" and "Uninstall Telegram" when I have uninstalled it. Every time I search for it I get the image. I have reinstalled and uninstalled it and it still appears. Of course, if I click open or click either one of them, nothing happens....
  4. Search does not work correctly

in Cortana
  5. windows search icon not working correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows search icon not working correctly: For some reason, i have to click the windows search icon normally in the bottom left multiple times befor it actually opens, once its opened, it works normally for some time, any ideas what might be the reason? please let me know!...
  6. Not work correct windows search

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not work correct windows search: I don't type windows search nothing. 182944
  7. Search not working correctly

in Cortana
    Search not working correctly: Hello everyone I'm having a problem with a search bar in win10. I just did a clean windows install and noticed that the search bar doesn't find some of the things I'm looking for. For example, if I searched for "sound" or "remove" before reinstalling windows, the search...
  8. Search Bar is not working correctly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search Bar is not working correctly: When I try to search it shows already uninstalled programs and I'm not able to find new ones... Restarting windows didn't work. submitted by /u/KryKrycz [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gif0kh/search_bar_is_not_working_correctly/
  9. Cortana Search not working correctly

in Cortana
    Cortana Search not working correctly: So, for a couple days my cortana search is not working correctly. When I have it set to the icon, if I have another application focused, clicking on the cortana icon to search will not bring up cortana. Only way to bring up cortana after pressing the icon, is to go into an...
  10. Search the web and Windows not working correctly.

in Windows 10 Support
    Search the web and Windows not working correctly.: Computer: HP Elite 8000 C2D E8400 Win 10 64 Bit 4GB RAM Windows 10 upgrade from Win7 installed. Have installed Office 10 and Chrome. Microsoft edge default browser. Problem: When I click the "Search the web and Windows " box I get "We can't connect to web search right...