Windows 10: Search only filenames, not contents

Discus and support Search only filenames, not contents in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is it possible to prevent Windows search from indexing the contents of documents and archives, restricting results to filenames only? 41399 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Michael, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Michael Win User

Search only filenames, not contents

Is it possible to prevent Windows search from indexing the contents of documents and archives, restricting results to filenames only?

:)

Michael, Feb 18, 2016

2. Indexing properties and file contents

Indexing option to search file properties and contents does not work. Searching finds the foldername and the filename with the searchterm and every file under foldername (it's only recursively finding files that have the same foldername regardless of content).
    It also finds any filename that contains searchterm. It does not find searchterm within the document. It only dumps file allocation table. Windows 10 Pro, x64 ver 1607, 10.01.14393, HP, AMD A8-4500M.

Oh, it has been saying "these results may be incomplete" for over a year now but I just ignore that.

MichaelMarr, Feb 18, 2016
  3. Rokap Win User
    Windows Explorer Search

This is obviously a bug in the search function. Searching on the filename attribute should always be a text search. The contents of the search string should never be treated as numbers.

Rokap, Feb 18, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Turn off Windows Search.
    Install Everything Search. Let it start after install to build it's index. Great program for finding files.

Ztruker, Feb 19, 2016
  5. Use the prefix name:

nigelmercier, Feb 19, 2016
  6. Michael Win User
    Only problem with "name:" is that it will only search from the beginning of the filename, as opposed to anywhere within it. So, searching "test" would return "test.doc" and "sample-test.doc", but "name:test" would only return "test.doc". Plus it's just inconvenient to type at the beginning of every search.

There really ought to be a way to turn off content indexing altogether. This feature just produces too many non-relevant search results.

Thanks for the tip about "Everything", Ztruker. I'm liking it so far. Super straightforward and fast. I think it's bound to be my new search app.

Michael, Feb 19, 2016
  7. Ztruker Win User
    I find I can't live without it any more. So easy to find files using any part of a name or extension.

Ztruker, Feb 20, 2016
  8. pcunite Win User

Give FileSearchEX a look too.

pcunite, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Search only filenames, not contents - Similar Threads - Search filenames contents

2. Searching with Photos in Windows 11 - only searches filename

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Searching with Photos in Windows 11 - only searches filename: It doesn't look like searching for photos in the Photos app works as well as just using Windows Explorer. I've added Title and Description metadata to many photos in OneDrive but when I search for them in Photos, it only seems to search the file name. Windows Explorer does...
  3. Searching with Photos in Windows 11 - only searches filename

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Searching with Photos in Windows 11 - only searches filename: It doesn't look like searching for photos in the Photos app works as well as just using Windows Explorer. I've added Title and Description metadata to many photos in OneDrive but when I search for them in Photos, it only seems to search the file name. Windows Explorer does...
  4. How to search for only filenames ending in " 1.mp3"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to search for only filenames ending in " 1.mp3": iTunes, at one point, duplicated every mp3 in my library and added " 1" to the duplicate filenames. So every "song.mp3", has a duplicate "song 1.mp3".I want to search for all of the duplicates and delete them in one step. But if I search for them, I get every mp3 with a "1"...
  5. How to search for only filenames ending in " 1.mp3"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to search for only filenames ending in " 1.mp3": iTunes, at one point, duplicated every mp3 in my library and added " 1" to the duplicate filenames. So every "song.mp3", has a duplicate "song 1.mp3".I want to search for all of the duplicates and delete them in one step. But if I search for them, I get every mp3 with a "1"...
  6. How to search for only filenames ending in " 1.mp3"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer: I use ~<22 in File Explorer to search for images with filenames starting with '22' the year they were taken. Some images whose file names do not start with '22' are included in the result. They are of File Type 'Adobe Photoshop Image.22'Is there a way to prevent these...
  8. Searching contents of files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Searching contents of files: How do I search the contents of files, when in a window, on my Win 10 PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/searching-contents-of-files/fcfa5df8-ea72-4a64-8ef5-143da56bb26e
  9. Search only searching contents in PDF files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search only searching contents in PDF files: Hello, lately when I use File Explorer to search the contents of my Word documents, the search is not yielding any results apart from PDF files. I have tried every fix and update I have seen in the community and it has not fixed the problem. I'm running Windows 10 and this...
  10. Searching exact filename, not partial

in Windows 10 Customization
    Searching exact filename, not partial: I have many files and few of them ends in two different ways. "[#Z Karaoke]" and "[Z Karaoke]" If I want to search only the "#Z Karaoke" but NOT show the "Z Karaoke" , How I do that? If I write "[#Z Karaoke]"or "[#Z", both file names, with the # and without the # comes...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 search filenames only