Windows 10: Search result - Move folders instead of file

Discus and support Search result - Move folders instead of file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have done a search for all files with the word e.g. "dvd" in the filename.. It returns a list of files result.. The problems is I want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by madmax2, Dec 16, 2016.

1. madmax2 Win User

Search result - Move folders instead of file

I have done a search for all files with the word e.g. "dvd" in the filename..

It returns a list of files result..

The problems is

I want to move the folder/s that contains those files not just the file on it's own..

How can I do this?

:)

madmax2, Dec 16, 2016

2. Bulk Moving Folders

Go to the root of the folder and type the the file extension *.svg in the search box.

Select all .svg results and cut/move and them to your target folder.

Andre Da Costa, Dec 16, 2016
  3. Looking for picture organizing , auto duplicate deleting , software or apps.

For the first part:

You can include the folders that have the image files to the Pictures Library. And from the Pictures library, do a search for the following:

kindSearch result - Move folders instead of file :picture

This lists all the images from folders that are included in the Pictures Library. Once search results are complete, select all (Ctrl + A) files (de-select the folders), click the Move To button in the ribbon and move all those files to a single folder of
    your choice.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Dec 16, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, using file explorer search for something like this is complicated. Just consider the search results you may get. These may include:
    1. folders whose name includes dvd
    2. files whose name includes dvd
    3. files whose pathname includes dvd
    4. If indexed and content indexing is enabled, you will get text files whose content contains dvd

You can improve this greatly (fewer results) by specifying
    file:dvd
    as your search string, but even then, obscurely, you also get folders whose name contains dvd.

So.. try Ultrasearch (free) or one of the other similar tools (Locate32, Everything by Void Tools.

Simply search for dvd and you get just the files whose name contains dvd.
    Now organise the results by path
    Now one by one, right click one file from each location, and click save path to clipboard
    Paste that into e.g. Notepad.

Now, with a little editing, you have a list of all the folders you need to copy.

Sorry, can't think of anything more clever than that offhand, but it vastly improves the search.

dalchina, Dec 16, 2016
  5. madmax2 Win User
    Sorry if you are not understanding the problem...

I search for files with the word "dvd" in it..
    I get file results with word dvd in it..

e.g. Movie1Dvd.mkv etc..

But those files are actually in individual folders...

If I select all the files in search results > cut and paste..into another folder
    the result will be one folder with many files..

I do not want this..
    I want to cut/move all the files with their parent folder into the new location..

madmax2, Dec 16, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    I understood that. I'm sorry you didn't understand my answer and suggestion.

Beyond that, you'd need to do sthg like write a script in Autohotkey.

dalchina, Dec 16, 2016
  7. madmax2 Win User
    I am looking for a solution that is quick and easy and allows me to move the folders with the files found..

I don't think your solution would meet this criteria..and seems to be as much work as opening each file location and just move the parent folder individually..

But thanks for the suggestion/input..

madmax2, Dec 17, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

I understand- maybe some 3rd party tool.

I also think there may be a way with Powershell - I'll post this just as a clue as to where you might look.
    Windows PowerShell Tip: Fun Things You Can Do With the Get-ChildItem Cmdlet

Another example:
    windows 7 - Find all folders with specific files in them? - Super User
    You might be able to solve your problem using PowerShell. I am not home at the moment and have no access to PowerShell, so I can check this solution inspired by this page at a later time only.
    dir -recurse | ?{$_.name -match “^*.ini$”} | sort name | ft directory
    I can check up on the correctness of the answer later.

dalchina, Dec 17, 2016
  9. madmax2 Win User
    Thanks for posting the powershell link / script
    This is quite helpful...

After reading those threads and doing some further research and making a few modifications

I was able to find a solution to this problem...
    And it is somewhat quick and easy

I will still keep this thread unsolved, in case:

-someone found a third party software that solves this problem
    -someone creates an autohotkey script that solves this problem
    -Microsoft solves this problem with a windows update.

madmax2, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Search result - Move folders instead of file - Similar Threads - Search result Move

2. Files from search result in start menu opens in browser instead of desktop app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files from search result in start menu opens in browser instead of desktop app: When searching for files, e.g. a .txt file, in the start menu and pressing it, it opens in Edge browser which makes it uneditable. How can I choose the default app when pressing "open" or "åbn" as it says in Danish?...
  3. How to Hide Files and Folders from Windows Search Results

in Windows 10 News
    How to Hide Files and Folders from Windows Search Results: [ATTACH]In this article, we will demonstrate how you can hide files and folders from your Search Results in Windows 11/10. There is a built-in feature to sync in and index files on the PC and updates the data whenever there is a change. The search field, one that’s available...
  4. How to make Windows Photo Viewer open only search results instead of entire folder?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to make Windows Photo Viewer open only search results instead of entire folder?: If I search for pictures and open in the Photos App, I can use the arrow keys to navigate to the next picture displayed in the search results.However, if I open the same picture from search results using Windows Photo Viewer, using the arrow keys just displays the next file...
  5. Search results to find folders only as the default search.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search results to find folders only as the default search.: Hi, I have thousands of client folders on my laptop with tens of thousands of files. I would like to have only client folders found when I use the search function as I am trying to 'find' a particular clients file so I can add/modify/ delete items etc. At the moment...
  6. "Showing results for", "Search instead for" missing in Google results

in Browsers and Email
    "Showing results for", "Search instead for" missing in Google results: Up until recently, when it met the criteria to illicit such a response, I got those suggestions when running a Firefox google search. Now, It only happens in Chrome. I thought it might have something to do with an alteration in my Google account settings, but if that was...
  7. File History files in search results

in Windows 10 Support
    File History files in search results: I have a second HD I use both for storage and system backup. Today I needed to find some Corel stuff I have in it, so I did a search with Explorer. And just found that the results include many files identified like this: [img] These File History files, which are in a...
  8. Search file not showing results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search file not showing results: HI, I have a file, and when I search for "youtube" it doesn't show results. but when I search for "youtu" it will highlight the "youtu" in each name of the links and show all the links. if I add the b , again there will be no results. why is it? thanks! 134238
  9. Can We Undo A Move From A Search Result?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can We Undo A Move From A Search Result?: I'll bet we can't. But asking the question might get the danger out there. My download folder has hundreds, thousands of files in it. I thought I'd clear it out a bit and did a search for various file types and then moved them from the search listing, en bloc, to folders...
  10. File Explorer, different results for search then all folders set for

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer, different results for search then all folders set for: I have set all folders and subsfolders to view DETAILS - no matter what I do and I have spend three days searching for the answer - I cannot get a search result in Win 10 File explorer to show anything but the attached view. The search only always comes back with "Content"...