Windows 10: Search result thumbnails issue

Discus and support Search result thumbnails issue in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Before updating to the windows 10 anniversary, The search result would displayed in a versatile shape, By that I mean in some folders I would have the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pezhmank, Sep 15, 2016.

1. pezhmank Win User

Search result thumbnails issue

Before updating to the windows 10 anniversary, The search result would displayed in a versatile shape, By that I mean in some folders I would have the search result to display in detail mode and in some folders in big thumbnail mode, and the next time I would run the search in the same place they would display in the previously seen mode.
    This is no longer the case, The search result always displays in thumbnail forum. How can I change this?

:)

pezhmank, Sep 15, 2016

2. Search Results

In Windows 10, when I search my pictures, Search results are shown as thumbnails ( results are also incomplete, some pictures are not shown ). Can I change this so a List is shown instead?

worriedof Birmingham., Sep 15, 2016
  3. Image thumbnail preview not showing on medium-sized icons.

Hi,

See if clearing the thumbnail cache using Disk Cleanup helps.

Click Start, type Disk Cleanup, and click Disk Cleanup from search results.

In the Disk Cleanup window, deselect everything, except Thumbnails.

Click OK.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Sep 15, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, if I search a folder in file explorer, and set the display to, say, medium icons, and close explorer, and then repeat that with a different folder, but set the search results to, say, Details, then if I go back to the first folder and do a search, the display is medium icons. The same with the other folder.

I.e. the format is remembered.

dalchina, Sep 15, 2016
  5. pezhmank Win User
    Right in my case the format is not remember, and Im aiming to fix that.

pezhmank, Sep 15, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Sep 15, 2016
  7. pezhmank Win User
    The second link you provided, Is not relevant to the issue I am facing. and the first one So far I read like 30 something messages, and either it says they having the same issue or unworkable solutions.

pezhmank, Sep 15, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Well, as far as I can see you have some aspect of the age old problem of Windows not remembering your preferred folder view.

I don't recall a specific example of this applying exclusively to search results. If that's what you view as your unique issue- well, maybe so.

As I said, if those don't help you, you are free to search the site for more: I'm afraid I have no specific fix for you. Maybe someone else will..

dalchina, Sep 17, 2016
  9. pezhmank Win User
    This forum has been proved disappointing, sadly!...

pezhmank, Sep 18, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Not every problem can be specifically fixed or answered. Many are- some receive no answers 'cos the volunteers here have no ideas what to suggest.

You can have a look at these, but you will likely discount them as not applicable to your precise problem:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/window...-view-settings
    How to Fix Annoying Folder View Type Change Problem in Windows - AskVG
    [Solved] Windows Doesn GeekScribes
    - and before you comment these are not about Win 10, please read them.
    This sort of problem has more generally applied over several generations of Windows.

You can try an in-place upgrade repair install, which may or may not fix your problem- it depends if the specific area of Windows is overwritten. Effectively you get a new copy of Windows, with your settings and programs.

Precede it with this in case sthg has happened to your file system:
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.

For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed, and x64 if you have a 64 bits OS, else x86 (32 bits).

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    - this includes a link from which you can obtain Windows 10 iso file (" download a Windows 10 ISO"), or create a bootable medium.

I would recommend creating the bootable medium, as this can be used
    - for any future in-place upgrade repair install
    - to boot from and use its recovery options should Windows become unbootable.
    - to clean install Windows

This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - no personal data should be affected
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)
    - inactive title bar colouring (if used) will be reset to default
    - if Qttabbar is installed, you need to re-enable it in explorer (Options, check Qttabbar)
    This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Recommendation:
    Before you perform this major repair procedure, do create a disk image.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect (free/commercial) + boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Search result thumbnails issue - Similar Threads - Search result thumbnails

2. Windows search issue - apps not appearing in search results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search issue - apps not appearing in search results: Dear Microsoft Community,I am facing a perplexing issue on my Windows 11 Pro system. Several Microsoft Store applications, such as WhatsApp, Calculator, and Camera, are not appearing in Windows Search results. Oddly, this problem extends beyond Microsoft Store apps;...
  3. Windows search issue - apps not appearing in search results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows search issue - apps not appearing in search results: Dear Microsoft Community,I am facing a perplexing issue on my Windows 11 Pro system. Several Microsoft Store applications, such as WhatsApp, Calculator, and Camera, are not appearing in Windows Search results. Oddly, this problem extends beyond Microsoft Store apps;...
  4. Search not working properly and thumbnails of results of the search missing after resetting pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search not working properly and thumbnails of results of the search missing after resetting pc: I have recently reset my windows pc, with the 'keep my files' option enabled. But afterward, when I search for some app/folder in the search area on the taskbar sometimes the result doesn't appear, and sometimes when they appear their thumbnails seem to be a plain white sheet...
  5. Search not working properly and thumbnails of results of the search missing after resetting pc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search not working properly and thumbnails of results of the search missing after resetting pc: I have recently reset my windows pc, with the 'keep my files' option enabled. But afterward, when I search for some app/folder in the search area on the taskbar sometimes the result doesn't appear, and sometimes when they appear their thumbnails seem to be a plain white sheet...
  6. Search not working properly and thumbnails of results of the search missing after resetting pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Search Results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search Results: When I search my Documents directory, I often get results from .css, .js etc when really all I want are folders, .html, .pdf How to I stop the .css, .js files appearing in the search results? I know I can apply filters afterwards but having to do so when all I want to do...
  8. google search results thumbnails show only 2 seconds

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    google search results thumbnails show only 2 seconds: When I do a google search (not chrome) There will be small previews/thumbnails of products that quickly disappear. How do I get them to stay again? Edge Windows 10 home...
  9. No thumbnails displayed in Photos section of search results.

in Windows 10 Support
    No thumbnails displayed in Photos section of search results.: I got the free Windows 10 upgrade yesterday and everything seemed to work really well until I tried using the Search Bar. The problem is that although search results are returned (The indexing seems to be correct) the images displayed under the Photos section are mostly...
  10. Search not showing results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search not showing results: Hi. Anyone know how to fix the search function in Windows 10? It's not showing any results. So far I already tried the following but to no avail. Rebuild indexing, scannow cmd, chdsk /r,. 10886