Windows 10: search results - cannot save view settings

Discus and support search results - cannot save view settings in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have to ask this because this is the most frustrating issue on Windows 10 to me. It really needs an update to fix this. When searching in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by trogne, Feb 8, 2017.

1. trogne Win User

search results - cannot save view settings

Hi,

I have to ask this because this is the most frustrating issue on Windows 10 to me.
    It really needs an update to fix this.

When searching in a folder, the search results view is always "Content".

If I want "Details" view, I have to change to "Details" after every searches.

Still in search results, if I go to "View - Folder Options", "Apply to Folders" is greyed out. I cannot set this.

Please fix this.

Patrick

:)

trogne, Feb 8, 2017

2. Where is Windows 10 "Remember each folder's view settings"?

Yes! Finally! Not only did it fix the folder view issue, more importantly, Windows Explorer now saves folder search results view settings. That was actually the biggest irritant for me.

Now, when I set a folder's view settings, they remain. When I now enter settings for search results viewing, Windows remembers those.

Thank you so much.

LeonardoDV, Feb 8, 2017
  3. Cannot Open Settings in Search Results

Dear Experts,

Could you please assist with this frustrating problem. I just upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 and when I search for any settings/control panel items I receive the results, but clicking on those results (either in the best match or the settings subcategories)
    does not open that window
    . I've attached a screenshot of the results, all of which are unclickable.

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

search results - cannot save view settings [​IMG]

JamesGutteridge, Feb 8, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, what I see is that if I pick a folder I've not searched before, then the search view (changes) to Content.

For a folder I've searched before, that's not what I find. If I launch file explorer, view a folder as "Details", and search for e.g. *.txt, the Search view is "Details".

Certainly if I then keep viewing the folder, changing the view, it is not necessarily the case that the search view is the same as the folder view.

I do find this is the same:
    Just to be certain you're aware, this forum is not run by Microsoft - we are users and volunteers.

If you wish to take this up with MS, I suggest the Feedback Hub app, or MS's technet site, for example.

Build: 14393.693, Win 10 Pro x64

dalchina, Feb 8, 2017
  5. AndreTen Win User
    I can confirm trogne's statement. I'm on Insider preview ATM, so can't say about RTM.

In my case, search results are presented in "content" view by default. If I change view into details it will remain (for that folder) and search results will be in details view next time.

But it sticks only for current folder.

Will look into it later. Maybe it could be set in default folders view.

AndreTen, Feb 8, 2017
  6. pepanee Win User
    I use the Search feature as well in File Explorer. The original poster is completely correct. I tried many attempts at finding a way to set all the search results for every folder to show EXACTLY how I have my folder set up in the Details view. It doesn't do that, and there seems to be no way to set a default view setting for search results in Windows 10. It kinda sucks that this USEFUL feature isn't included in the latest operating system. (Wish they had a drawing board where they wrote all the good enhancements to Windows over time, to make sure to NOT forget to include those features in their latest Windows releases.)

Anyways, this is what I did: For the folders that I search in frequently (for example: my Music folder), I did a search, and saw results. They were listed in the crappy non-Details format. So Right Click > View > Details. Press the back button. Right click on Name (above all the files/folders in File Explorer) > press More...
    Take a note of all the checked items, and take note of the numbers for each one at the bottom.
    Now close this window and do another search. (After you do this second search, you should still see your results as Details, because Windows saves the view settings from earlier)
    Now Right click on Name > More...
    Use the notes you took earlier to make that "Search" window to look EXACTLY like your folder's view settings. IT'S A TEDIOUS PROCESS to do for all the folders you frequently search in, but that seems to be the Only way that I have found so far.

pepanee, Feb 9, 2017
  7. trogne Win User
    One year later, after many windows update, the issue persist.

Can this be finally resolved ?

Problem explained again :
    I want to save the search results view config, so that every subsequent search results have the same view.

But the view always stick to "Content". And the "Apply to folders" is greyed out.

This here is not a total fix :
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/se...ls-windows-10/

It will save the default search results view to "details" instead of "content".

I want to customize the search results view, like for instance a "defails" view minus some columns like "rating", and with "folder" as the second "column". But I can't, since "apply to folders" is greyed out.

Please fix this,.

trogne, Feb 11, 2018
  8. dalchina New Member

- just to be sure you know, this forum is run by users and volunteers who try to help- we are NOT MS so we can't 'fix' the OS in terms of changing its spec.

dalchina, Feb 11, 2018
  9. Try3 Win User
  10. trogne Win User
    @Try3, no, it's not the solution.

As I said, this fix will only change the default search results view from "content" to "details".

We cannot further customize the "details" view, for instance removing the "rating" column, or moving the "folder" column to the second posistion.

Subsequent searches in other folders will always defaults to the original "details" view.

trogne, Feb 11, 2018
  11. Try3 Win User
    trogne,

I apologise for not reading your last post properly [actually I have no idea how I could have missed the significance of it, but I did].

The only way I have ben able to get the desired columns to appear has been by manually changing them in the search results. They then appear for any further File explorer searches in the same folder so, over time, more & more of my regular folders get set up the way I want.

I have also tried looking for established solutions here & across the internet and have failed to find any solution. I used NirSoft's RegFromApp to see what happened in the Registry as I set the columns for an individual search result but I was not able to find any consistency in the Registry's behaviour whilst doing so.

Denis

12. trogne Win User
    Thanks Denis.
    At least, the fix for a default to "details" view is a great step forward.

Maybe someday this will be fixed definitely!

trogne, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. search results - cannot save view settings - Similar Threads - search results cannot

2. Search result in Settings problem.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search result in Settings problem.: So, the search result in Settings is not showed in my main profile, But the other profile, The search result in Settings is showed as you can see in the image. Can anyone help me?...
  3. Search result in Settings problem.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search result in Settings problem.: So, the search result in Settings is not showed in my main profile, But the other profile, The search result in Settings is showed as you can see in the image. Can anyone help me?...
  4. Change default view for the search results

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change default view for the search results: Is there a way to set thedefault view for the search results in file explorer without having to changeit every time I use the search feature? I would like the default view be for:1. Documents, not web. This should be the default view as oneonly need go to search engine for...
  5. Folders View Settings Are Not Saving

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folders View Settings Are Not Saving: Recently I've noticed a strange behaviour when I tried to unhide protected operating system files. I unticked the corresponding check box and I received the warning, but when I pressed the OK button, nothing happened. When I opened the view settings again the check box was...
  6. search results to be in DETAILS view

in Windows 10 Support
    search results to be in DETAILS view: When I do a search, I want the results to be in DETAILS view instead of CONTENT view. How to make the change so that results always come up in details view? Win 10 165737
  7. Viewing Saved Passwords in Settings

Viewing Saved Passwords in Settings: How do I view settings when I don't remember my Windows password or PIN? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/viewing-saved-passwords-in-settings/2c45f2e2-5e3e-49a2-a7a9-55cfef82af4f
  8. Windows Search Results keeps switching view

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search Results keeps switching view: Hi, I really really hope someone can help me. My issue is that whenever I search for a file and it takes me to all my results, as soon as I double click a folder within the results it will take me to that particular folder and then after 1/2 second, it will automatically...
  9. Setting default view for Search results in File Explorer

in Cortana
    Setting default view for Search results in File Explorer: Results show up in "Content" view by default, which is annoying for me and quite a few folks. To set the default view to "Details", add this registry key and values in HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\...
  10. Path Column as permanent view setting in the Search result in Windows 10

Path Column as permanent view setting in the Search result in Windows 10: When you search you always get the "Folder" Column. to Display the path you have to right click on the header and select more and select path. You have to do this everytime. Is there a regedit setting that makes that permanent? or is there another setting somewhere that makes...