Windows 10: search - some files not found

Discus and support search - some files not found in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Why some files are not found on my system ? For instance, a folder have files "02-Bad Boy" and "03-Any Time". If I do ctrl-f "Bad", I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by trogne, Oct 3, 2016.

1. trogne Win User

search - some files not found

Hi,

Why some files are not found on my system ?

For instance, a folder have files "02-Bad Boy" and "03-Any Time".

If I do ctrl-f "Bad", I found "02-Bad Boy".
    If I do ctrl-f "Any", I don't find "03-Any Time".

I have to type "*Any", ans asterisk before, to find that file. Why ?

:)

trogne, Oct 3, 2016

2. Document Search Results Not Found

Just for kicks, try putting a single * mark before the number you type (no space). So for example, try:

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Oct 3, 2016
  3. Document Search Results Not Found

Your original search would probably work fine, if the files had a space before the number instead of a dash. The way that it is right now where the number is strung together with the rest of the file name, the search system doesn't see the number as a "separate
    word".

Using an asterisk at the beginning tells the search system that you want to look for any file that ends with those numbers regardless of what it starts with. The asterisk is a wolf card meaning "anything" followed by your number.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Oct 3, 2016
Thema:

search - some files not found

1. search - some files not found - Similar Threads - search files found

2. Found a fix for File Explorer search bar not finding files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Found a fix for File Explorer search bar not finding files: I was having the exact same issue as the one found in this article: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-search-not-finding-files-that-are/f943728c-7a32-476f-8302-c7b6aabed95dI went through all the different "fixes" found online and on this...
  3. Found a fix for File Explorer search bar not finding files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Found a fix for File Explorer search bar not finding files: I was having the exact same issue as the one found in this article: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-search-not-finding-files-that-are/f943728c-7a32-476f-8302-c7b6aabed95dI went through all the different "fixes" found online and on this...
  4. Found a fix for File Explorer search bar not finding files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why are some recent updates / KB#s not found in catalog.update.microsoft.com searches?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why are some recent updates / KB#s not found in catalog.update.microsoft.com searches?: How come certain MS updates are not found in catalog.update.microsoft.com searches? For example, KB5000967 OR KB5000911 OR KB5000858 OR KB5000736 That is: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB5000967 returns We did not find any results for...
  6. [Windows 16 Server] Not file found in search file contents

[Windows 16 Server] Not file found in search file contents: Hi, When I search from all files that contain the string "TE_ATLAS_CVCO", not file is found, although there are several. View attached images. [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Thanks for your help. Regards, Jose Luis...
  7. Some of the program are not found when searching on search function

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Some of the program are not found when searching on search function: I am finding myself in this situation where I can't seem to find the ordinary app that I use on the search, I have few programs like signal, simplenote and java eclipse that was easily accessible through search function. They are not showing, just the installation file. Even...
  8. Run a sfc /scannow and found some corrrupt file.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Run a sfc /scannow and found some corrrupt file.: As the title says after I found out that some of system apps/files are corrupted after clean installation of windows 10; Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located...
  9. Opening a file found in Search

Opening a file found in Search: In the latest version of Windows, when I search for a document and click on one of the files that is found it now opens in Edge browser instead of the default app on the computer - this happens with Excel, Word or pdf files. How do I make the files open in the appropriate...
  10. Program files (.exe) not found by Windows Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Program files (.exe) not found by Windows Search: Program files (.exe) which are not installed (and so don't have a shortcut) are not being found by Windows search. Shortcuts, help files, folders etc with the same name all show up. [img] Indexing is complete and .exe is defined (as default) in indexing options to...