Windows 10: Search using WinKey+query

Discus and support Search using WinKey+query in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Win10 1607 doesn't return search results unless connected to the Internet when you use the WinKey+type a search query method Once connected, results... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Slartybart, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Search using WinKey+query

Win10 1607 doesn't return search results unless connected to the Internet when you use the WinKey+type a search query method

Once connected, results are returned in the Cortana box

NOT Connected Connected
    Search using WinKey+query [​IMG]

and results are still returned even after I disconnect.

This was an issue in the early Tech preview releases that included Cortana. I will feed MS

While I'm at it, I haven't found a way to search local only - i.e. exclude Web searches. Yeah, they put all of those nice icons on the results page, but I only EVER want to search this machine - I can Google or Bing on the Web..

Am I missing some setting?

:)

Slartybart, Aug 10, 2016

2. Windows search and indexing not working after clean Win10x64 install

Check the Windows Search Data Directory setting in the registry:

Press WinKey + R, and type in:

cmd /k reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search"

Copy the output and paste here.

By default, the DataDirectory is set to %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Search\Data\

Ramesh Srinivasan, Aug 10, 2016
  3. Win 10 problem

Try Winkey+s key to be able to auto type a search term.

If you want a more typical menu list use Winkey+x

ThrashZone, Aug 10, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Search using WinKey+query

Hi, for the very limited Cortana search (indexed files only, executables -exe, bat, cmd...- excluded), you can e.g. click More, and documents for an indexed document search only, videos for videos etc.

For searching for files, folders, and indexed file content, there's the search in explorer. That's indexed and non-indexed, except content is indexed only.

Then there's the good, useful, rational way.

Use e.g.
    Ultrasearch
    Everything (by void tools)
    Locate32

All freeware, instant results for all disk content which is indexed much more quickly than Windows search.

Other options exist too.

dalchina, Aug 11, 2016
  5. Explorer Search serves me well (after learning the query syntax *Wink) and dir has never failed me.
    It's just that I've become accustomed to using WinKey+query to find and launch not-so-frequently-used start menu items. It's easier and faster than opening Start, scrolling down the list and dbl clicking.

Now I can't WinKey+query unless I connect to the Internet . This issue resurfaced with the changes made to Cortana and or Start. I can live with it for a while.

Just a point - indexing only augments Windows search. The index allows search to quickly find file properties or content. A common mistake is to index everything thinking it makes search faster - it actually slows it down due to the size of the index.
    Indexing, in Windows Search terms, an exe makes no sense *Wink

You can index any folder you want (Indexing Options) ... placing your batch files in an indexed folder and Shazammmmm! *Biggrin

I use Libraries which automatically adds the folder contents to the index by default. Other than Start and Favorites, not much else is indexed.

Slartybart, Aug 11, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, Win key + ? used to open feedback.. it doesn't do anything now for me. Are those the keys you mean?

(Indexing can be used to include text file content - but Cortana search results on disk files/folders are limited to what's indexed- nothing found outside that range - or is your experience different? Another well-known member confirmed you can't find exe's with Cortana search)

dalchina, Aug 11, 2016
  7. Nothing to do with feedback hub..
    WinKey+F

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...oard-shortcuts (change dropdown to Win10)

I'll boot up Win10 in a bit to test exe, but this thread is more about the inability to find anything using WinKey+query unless connected to the Internet. If possible, I'd like to keep focused on the one issue *Wink

Slartybart, Aug 11, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

..understood. Sorry, can't help with that as it's not behaviour I see.

(I use Win key + S to launch Cortana...
    Win key + F now I've installed an app 'Feedback Hub' launches that, so presume that has adopted it.

Win key + ? used to launch (pre anniversary) a feedback screen).

dalchina, Aug 12, 2016
  9. Thanks dal ... I appreciate you taking the time to look at the issue.

Every machine is set up differently (I don't have a constant connection and I turned off as much as I could in Cortana)

I'll give WinKey+S a shot, but that's not really how I want to search (the previous build WinKey+query is what I want).
    You can't always get what you want though *Wink

Losing this function is regression (as is the inability to turn off searching the web - probably related - it was a long time ago in TP builds)

I always find good stuff when I read your posts ... but this issue is in MS's domain

Bill

Slartybart, Aug 12, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Agreed, Cortana settings are annoying. I don't want to get annoyed, so I avoid it. (Thanks by the way).

Win key + Q also launches Cortana. (Off-topic - Win key + W is interesting)

Internet connected - normal

This is displayed for a few minutes after disconnecting ethernet and then Winkey + S
    Note the inverted exclamation mark after Try

This is displayed after a longer time

In all circumstances search works

dalchina, Aug 12, 2016
  11. Excellent dal - thanks for your diligence *Biggrin

It's funny ... as I parse your post and try WinKey+query - it works!
    Yeah ... great .... I'm connected and I know it works then - LOL

An interesting thing is that even after I disconnect WinKey+query works
    ...until the machine sleeps or I sign-out

I tried forcing a sleep but the query still worked (must be a timeout or buffer clear thing)
    When I sign out and back in the issue is present again - WinKey+query search returns a blank box

The key seems to be that Cortana search works when connected and for a while after disconnecting if your machine doesn't sleep or you don't sign-out. My sleep test used the power button and I didn't let it sleep long (less than a minute).

If you're willing to try one more test on your machine - great, but you don't have to for my sake.

Disconnect and sign-out, the try a query when you sign-back in
    - you might have to change your connection so that it doesn't automatically connect - WiFi
    - Ethernet is easier - just pull the plug *Wink

If it works for you ... I've seen things work on one machine and not another. I'm convinced it's MS .. especially since the query works when disconnected after being connected

I don't think Cortana is very useful on Desktops/Laptops and it has broken some basic features like search for people like me who are not 24/7 connected and who do not sign-in with a MS account.
    Cortana might be useful on mobiles - can't say.

Slartybart, Aug 12, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Tried disconnect internet incl. WiFi/log off/log on
    - Cortana showed the 'no interests' version - but found files.
    No problems launching Cortana

N.B. I use an MS account.. not local.

(What worries me about win 10 is that for people coming first time to Windows, they expect things to be rational -the start menu should just work, search boxes should behave as you'd expect- lacking the comparison with XP/'7 etc they would be terribly confused).

dalchina, Aug 13, 2016
  13. Search using WinKey+query

Thanks, you've gone above and beyond the call.

Maybe it is the difference between Local and MSaccount ... something for me to try anyway.

Yeah, XP to Win10 is a learning curve. I tell people Right click everything ... everywhere - nothing is where you expect it.

That's what I did for a few months going from Win7 to Win8. I was more frustrated by not finding things where they were (especially network stuff) than by the cosmetic changes ... I was not put off by the missing start button and actually liked the Win8.1 Windows menu (I refuse to call it Start)
    *Roflmao2

Slartybart, Aug 13, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
    .. if you start with the Windows start menu - you'll soon stop. My view.. *chuckle

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Search using WinKey+query - Similar Threads - Search using WinKey+query

2. Query Windows Search Indexing database

in Cortana
    Query Windows Search Indexing database: Hey guys,I broke one of my external HDDs yesterday, it fell to the floor and now its not being detected at all..Is there a way to query the Windows Search Indexing database to get a list of *G:/paths/file names* that were previously residing in drive letter "G" ?That way at...
  3. Query Windows Search Indexing database

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Query Windows Search Indexing database: Hey guys,I broke one of my external HDDs yesterday, it fell to the floor and now its not being detected at all..Is there a way to query the Windows Search Indexing database to get a list of *G:/paths/file names* that were previously residing in drive letter "G" ?That way at...
  4. Query Windows Search Indexing database

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. winkey

in Windows 10 Support
    winkey: How can I turn on the winkey key without changing myregistry? 164752
  6. Search on new tabs uses search box or address bar query

in Browsers and Email
    Search on new tabs uses search box or address bar query: Hi folks, So I'm getting used to the features of Microsoft Edge Chromium that I installed not too long ago. There is something I don't understand though. In Privacy and services/Address bar when I select Google as my default engine a new option becomes available - "Search...
  7. Query which key to use

Query which key to use: I have used Showkey Plus to find the key to my laptop but am confused as to which of the keys I should use if ever I have to replace the harddrive. IE I have one key that is titled the installed key and one that is called the OEM key can anyone please advise me of which one...
  8. Winkey Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Winkey Not Working: How can I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/winkey-not-working/d6c73ec1-7c07-4ea9-95bc-6cfcfeb3bb9b
  9. WinKey + I Is Not Working

WinKey + I Is Not Working: Hello. I pushed WinKey + I (shortcut) to go to the settings, but it is not working. Any help? Windows 10 Home Insider Preview (64-bit) 127801
  10. Change WinKey function

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change WinKey function: In the registry, is it possible to change WinKey+Shift+C to WinKey+C? (Launches Cortana in voice mode.) No, SnapKey is not capable of doing this. 61726

Users found this page by searching for:

1. winkey search