Windows 10: search won't work in anniversary update of windows 10

Discus and support search won't work in anniversary update of windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After the Anniversary update (version 1607 via Windows Update), Search doesn't work properly - i no longer have a search icon in my taskbar. i do have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ydaltak, Aug 6, 2016.

1. ydaltak Win User

search won't work in anniversary update of windows 10

After the Anniversary update (version 1607 via Windows Update), Search doesn't work properly
    - i no longer have a search icon in my taskbar. i do have a cortana icon. is this by design?
    - when i try to key something into where it says "ask me anything", i cannot enter any characters. i can click on the microphone and then talk to cortana, but i don't want to use that feature. i prefer the old style search.
    - i will not be using cortana, but i suspect that i no longer have the option to turn it off and use only search. correct?

:)

ydaltak, Aug 6, 2016

2. wireless mouse does not work since anniversary update

Since I installed Windows 10 Anniversary update, my Logitech wireless trackball won't work. It works momentarily when I turn it on, then it stops working.

BarbWilkinson, Aug 6, 2016
  3. Cortana not working properly.

Cortana work properly when I installed windows 10 anniversary update but nowadays Cortana not recognize my voice properly and even it won't tell a joke. it wan't answer the questions everything I search it directly redirect to the Bing search on Edge browser.
    So please help me how can I resolve this problem. My current windows version is 1607 (Build 14393.105)

AkshaykumarPatel, Aug 6, 2016
  4. AndreTen Win User

There are several ways to preform search in Windows 10. You can also disable Cortana. Look at Tutorials by Brink - How to turn Cortana on and off.

Simple way to search is to just click on start (that Windows button in low left corner) and start typing what you are searching for.

AndreTen, Aug 6, 2016
  5. ydaltak Win User
    if i click on the start button, i do not get any place to start keying in my search request.

ydaltak, Aug 6, 2016
  6. AndreTen Win User
    Just start typing *Smile

AndreTen, Aug 6, 2016
  7. ydaltak Win User
    i tried that. soon the window that i would expect to be keying into shows up, but nothing that i am typing is displayed.

ydaltak, Aug 6, 2016
  8. AndreTen Win User

This happens when I type settings: sometimes it says: didn't find anything...

AndreTen, Aug 6, 2016
  9. ydaltak Win User
    i get nothing. type being input is not recognized. does search work without cortana?

ydaltak, Aug 6, 2016
  10. Rocky Win User
    Yes, search works very well without Cortana. Just press the START button and start typing.

Rocky, Aug 6, 2016
  11. AndreTen Win User
    Yes, but it won't search all type of files and in all places. Indexing have to be turn on (not 100% sure). Try to change some settings.

If it won't work for you, you can try program called Everything. A lot of people here on forums like it...

AndreTen, Aug 6, 2016
  12. Right click on Task Bar >> toolbars >> Search,
    check if the option is still available.

manish9009, Aug 7, 2016
  13. ydaltak Win User

thanks, i forgot about that trick.
    no, the only options available are "address, links, desktop, new toolbars."

ydaltak, Aug 7, 2016
  14. My search box is located on the taskbar just right of the start button.

AmericanPharaoh, Aug 7, 2016
  15. bro67 Win User
    Then Index and Search got turned off/disabled. Start10 and Classic Shell will show the older style Windows 7 All Programs menu.

What happens when you press Windows Key X

bro67, Aug 7, 2016
Thema:

1. search won't work in anniversary update of windows 10 - Similar Threads - search won't anniversary

2. Windows 10 Anniversary update Some programs not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Anniversary update Some programs not working: I have had Windows 10 since they rolled it out. One of the things I hated was the Windows 7 Solitaire was gone. I found it online and downloaded it. It was the exact same Solitaire game and it worked fine until last week when I got the Anniversary update. Now it will not open...
  3. Windows 10 anniversary update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 anniversary update: Hi all this update is killing me I called MS they downloaded it agene for me .I get freezing and bsod every time I play a game and sometimes at idle I updated, repaired every game I have . I am tempted to buy windows10pro and block updates if I can. sorry for the rant I am...
  4. Windows 10 will not update to anniversary.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 will not update to anniversary.: So , I got a laptop with Windows 10 about a month ago. I had some problems with blue screen and things which happen sometimes but I am fine with it as it doesn't happen that often. Right now , my PC keeps insisting to update to Windows 10 Anniversary edition and everytime...
  5. Anniversary Update: Search not working properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary Update: Search not working properly: After the Anniversary update (version 1607 via Windows Update), Search doesn't work properly. (I have re-started again). If I enter a search term ("Restore") on search bar next to the Start Button I get Best match: "Recovery, Control Panel" at the top of the window, but if I...
  6. Win10 Anniversary "Search" not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Anniversary "Search" not working: I just noticed that my "Search" function does not work anymore. I press the Start button or the search icon in the taskbar and try to type, but nothing more happens. Any ideas why this might've happened? 66077
  7. Cortana Missing and Search Windows not working after Anniversary Updat

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana Missing and Search Windows not working after Anniversary Updat: Hello, Title says it all. I can't use the search functionality and Cortana is missing. Is there a way to reinstall it? 66038
  8. Windows Search no longer working after Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search no longer working after Anniversary Update: As the title says, my Windows Search has stopped functioning properly after the Anniversary Update. I can click on the bar, and it will bring up an empty window, but as soon as I type in anything, it closes itself. I've read up on some possible methods of fixing it,...
  9. Anniversary update won't complete...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Anniversary update won't complete...: I have a custom machine running 64-bit Win 10 Pro on an Asus P5Q Pro MB with 8 GB RAM and an Intel Quad processor. Each time I try to apply the anniversary update it goes through all of the downloads and then sometime during the update it quits with... "Something went...
  10. File Explorer won't search contents of files - Windows 10 Anniversary

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer won't search contents of files - Windows 10 Anniversary: Hi, I just downloaded the Windows 10 Anniversary update. I started to use my computer how I normally would and a frequent thing that I do is go through my downloads and search for content within word documents. I tried to do that now and it won't search for contents within...