Windows 10: Search working Intermittent

Discus and support Search working Intermittent in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Windows Search is working sometimes, sometimes not. Seems that, after a Boot or Reboot, it is not working until I have a Internet connection .... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Adalwar, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Adalwar Win User

Search working Intermittent

Hi,
    Windows Search is working sometimes, sometimes not.
    Seems that, after a Boot or Reboot, it is not working until I have a Internet connection .

:)

Adalwar, Aug 7, 2016
  2. cduong1 Win User

Windows 10 mail - search seems to hang

I'm not asking for help on how to search.

I have a problem that search seems to hang. It would say "searching online" and then doesn't return any results. it seems to work intermittently....Is there a fix to this?

cduong1, Aug 7, 2016
  3. 2008dec31 Win User
    Cortana doesn't work... Edge doesn't search

Microsoft Account... Please note... it is intermittent...not continuous errors although they are not working 60-75% of the time. I have to use Google to search.

2008dec31, Aug 7, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, could you explain a bit more about where you're searching and for what?

E.g.
    - search using Windows explorer
    - the search field on the taskbar (Cortana)
    - the search field in the Settings dialogue

and quote a couple of examples.

If Cortana, please provide a screenshot.
    Thanks!

dalchina, Aug 7, 2016
  5. Adalwar Win User
    Hi dalchina,
    Thank you.

I am using the Search Box on the Taskbar. Pressing Win+S opens also this same search field on taskbar.
    It says : Search Windows.

Adalwar, Aug 7, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, ok, that's Cortana. Cortana can:
    - search the web (obviously depends on your internet connection)
    - do a very limited search on your indexed files and folders.
    - search your settings
    - offer suggestions from the store
    - apps = universal apps and desktop apps - provided a shortcut exists for them in your start menu (the latter may or may not be true if you upgraded)
    etc

If your internet connection is unreliable, browser search e.g. google will be unreliable.
    So I think you need to specify your problem more exactly - e.g. do you actually have unreliable Wifi?
    Or is it a search problem?

Note: it's very confusing if you try to use it to search for files.
    a. it won't find any executables (exe, bat, cmd...)
    b. it will only find what's been indexed
    c. you have various categories to search in

In other words a right mixture.

For file/folder search, far better solutions than Cortana or explorer search are
    Ultrasearch
    Everything by void tools
    Locate32
    - all free

dalchina, Aug 8, 2016
  7. Adalwar Win User
    Hi dalchina,
    That is not a connection problem.
    Today, even with a active Internet Connection, it was not working. After a reboot it started to work again.

Cortana is not showing up. When I first upgrade it was there, but then is gone, is only showing "Search Windows" and this "Search" is finding the Applications that are installed in System. It is searching the Local System, very nice and as it should be.

Adalwar, Aug 8, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Ok, I'm beginning to understand what you're seeing.
    What happens if you press the Windows key and S together?
    You should get Cortana like this...

Search working Intermittent [​IMG]

Mine is after the anniversary upgrade- have you done that yet? - to confirm this, please press
    Windows key + R
    type
    Winver
    and post the result.
    Mine's 14393.10

dalchina, Aug 8, 2016
  9. Adalwar Win User
    Hi dalchina,
    Yes I have the last Upgrade 14393.10.
    When I press Win+S it shows this:

Adalwar, Aug 8, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Hi, you may have Cortana set to disabled as regards web search. Note the lack of news items for example.
    It used to be possible to disable Bing search in Cortana but this has changed.

I think if I understand you correctly you cannot search the web using Cortana.
    Therefore you may need to do the reverse (opposite) of this:
    How to Disable Cortana in Windows 10s Anniversary Update

You will need to take due precautions before trying this. E.g. set a system restore point first. Note System Restore is off by default in Win 10 and after an upgrade so you will need to turn it on.

I suggest you first check the setting as per that article carefully.

Note that it used to be possible to easily do this in Cortana's settings, but as far as I can see, that setting no longer exists.

dalchina, Aug 8, 2016
  11. Adalwar Win User
    Hi dalchina,
    Who needs Cortanas? I disabled it, from my point of view is only consuming resources and preventing the job of search Local PC, that is what I need .
    I enabled Cortana back, but the problem persists. So, it is not Cortana.
    The only way to get it work is enable Internet Connection AND open a Web Page. After this, it is working.

Adalwar, Aug 8, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Sorry, you've totally confused me. The toolbar search box is part of Cortana. It is a limited search.
    I now can't understand your problem as you said earlier

"It is searching the Local System, very nice and as it should be."

If you want proper search features for files and folders unlike the limited search that offers, try
    Ultrasearch
    Everything (Void tools)
    Locate32.

I'm afraid I'll have to leave this for someone else to pick up as I'm afraid I can't understand exactly what problem you'd like solved and have offered a fix for what I thought you were saying and you now say you're not interested in Cortana. Good luck..

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Search working Intermittent - Similar Threads - Search working Intermittent

2. Keyboard intermittently not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard intermittently not working: My keyboard is intermittently not working on my HP Spectre 360. There will be certain keys that when pressed do nothing. Later on the same key will be working perfectly. So far, I've tried updating the driver, updating windows, uninstalling the keyboard and reinstalling it,...
  3. Keyboard intermittently not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard intermittently not working: My keyboard is intermittently not working on my HP Spectre 360. There will be certain keys that when pressed do nothing. Later on the same key will be working perfectly. So far, I've tried updating the driver, updating windows, uninstalling the keyboard and reinstalling it,...
  4. Windows 11 search works intermittently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 search works intermittently: Ever since a recent update, the search function - both in the start menu and the task bar's search icon - will not work most of the time, but sometimes it suddenly does. Whenever I click the search icon on the task bar or start typing something in the start menu, the window...
  5. Windows 11 search works intermittently

Windows 11 search works intermittently: Ever since a recent update, the search function - both in the start menu and the task bar's search icon - will not work most of the time, but sometimes it suddenly does. Whenever I click the search icon on the task bar or start typing something in the start menu, the window...
  6. search bar and all search boxes fill up with # intermittently

in Windows 10 Gaming
    search bar and all search boxes fill up with # intermittently: My browser search bar and all search boxes fill up with # intermittently and prevents me from accessing information or logging in to anything. I have replaced the keyboard twice and performed a clean reboot, There seems to be very little information about this, can anyone...
  7. search bar and all search boxes fill up with # intermittently

search bar and all search boxes fill up with # intermittently: My browser search bar and all search boxes fill up with # intermittently and prevents me from accessing information or logging in to anything. I have replaced the keyboard twice and performed a clean reboot, There seems to be very little information about this, can anyone...
  8. search bar and all search boxes fill up with # intermittently

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Wifi working intermittently

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi working intermittently: I have a Dell Inspirion 7559, and for the past few days my wifi has been working intermittently. It happens out of nowhere, and the problem can last from a few hours to a few days.I used the command "ping -t google.com" to see what the problem is, and this is what I got. I'm...
  10. Mouse works intermittently

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse works intermittently: On July 21 I posted a question about how to fix intermittent performance by the mouse. Andre for Directly replied with three possible solutions. I have been monitoring the results of the corrections since then. I have now deployed all three solutions, and the problem still...