Windows 10: Search

Discus and support Search in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have just upgraded to W10. Is there a way to search my computer for files/words etc? If I type anything in the box bottom left of screen it takes me... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by xb101353, Feb 19, 2018.

1. xb101353 Win User

Search

I have just upgraded to W10. Is there a way to search my computer for files/words etc? If I type anything in the box bottom left of screen it takes me to the internet. I don't want the internet, I want to look in my computer.

:)

xb101353, Feb 19, 2018

2. "Spyware and Unwanted software Protection". Whats with this notification???

Just got this computer Have not downloaded anything, message has appeared three times.

Triton's Search, Feb 19, 2018
  3. Error Code 85002028

I just got my Windows Phone 7 - AT&T Samsung. I'm trying to setup Outlook email with my Network Solutions POP email account. Because their mail server's domain and certificate don't match my personal domain, there's a certificate mismatch and I get an
    error. How do I turn off this security check?

When I bypass this by going to their generic URL that matches the certificate, I get Error Code 85002028 - "Your Windows Phone doesn't support this server version. Contact support person or service provider."

This sounds like Microsoft is blocking non-Exchange email servers. Could this be true?

Search Frustrated, Feb 19, 2018
  4. RickC Win User

Search

RickC, Feb 20, 2018
  5. xb101353 Win User
    Thanks. I tried that but it still gives me internet connection. All I want is when I type a word in Search it looks through my computer files to find it, I don't want it to look on the internet or the cloud or anywhere else on line.

xb101353, Feb 20, 2018
  6. RickC Win User
    Can you be a little bit more specific about "I tried that"?

Did you:

• Try the first suggestion?
    • Try the second suggestion?
    • Try both suggestions?
    • Restart your PC/laptop/device after making each change (so the change would take effect)?
    Help us to help you...

RickC, Feb 20, 2018
  7. xb101353 Win User
    I tried the first one, and I restarted the computer after. It comes up with internal info, but internet info too which is unnecessary and confusing

xb101353, Feb 20, 2018
  8. RickC Win User

Search

It sounds like you may benefit from the second tutorial:

How to Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10

Hope this helps...

RickC, Feb 20, 2018
  9. Clockman Win User
    Try File explorer, upper right corner (search quick access) also left click on this PC to highlight and you can search your entire computer or select any folder on the left pane to only search it by typing what you want to search for. example *.bmp will find all of you bitmap pictures on your computer if this PC is highlighted.

Clockman, Feb 20, 2018
  10. zbook New Member
    If you want to search for anything on the computer's internal or external drives the best option is to use 3rd party software.

Download and install: Everything:
    voidtools

This software will index everything on all of the drives.
    It can be set to launch with boot or launch when you need it.
    There will instantaneous results as you type a character.
    There is no waiting like in Microsoft search.
    The more characters that you type the narrower the search results.
    By default it displays all files (hidden and not hidden)
    Once it is used it is very hard to go back to Microsoft search.

If you prefer not to use 3rd party software and use windows perform the following steps:
    Click on file explorer (the yellow folder ) > click this PC > click C: > in the right upper corner enter the item to search

zbook, Feb 20, 2018
  11. xb101353 Win User
    The "Search This PC" method does what I want. Thanks to all.

xb101353, Feb 20, 2018
  12. dalchina New Member
    Hi, you may find the attached notes I've made of passing interest.

I don't pretend these are complete; they focus on things I've noted or had to deal with, but may add something.

As mentioned above, 3rd party tools for find-as-you-type results for files and folders (not content) simply don't demand thought, whilst Windows search can be truly puzzling at times.

dalchina, Feb 20, 2018
  13. xb101353 Win User

Search

Thanks for those notes. Now I've downloaded "Search Everything" and it works well.

xb101353, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Search

1. Search - Similar Threads - Search

2. Cannot type in Windows 11 Search Box

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot type in Windows 11 Search Box: Hi, I got problem on Windows 11 that i can't type in search box. instead when i press a charracter in keyboard it work like hotkey to the apps pinned to start.For Example, Edge is pinned to start, so when i press E it will highlight the Edge App. plus when i click the search...
  3. Cannot type in Windows 11 Search Box

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot type in Windows 11 Search Box: Hi, I got problem on Windows 11 that i can't type in search box. instead when i press a charracter in keyboard it work like hotkey to the apps pinned to start.For Example, Edge is pinned to start, so when i press E it will highlight the Edge App. plus when i click the search...
  4. Searching in Yahoo when searching in normal Google Chrome, links like ''laxsearch'' can be...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Searching in Yahoo when searching in normal Google Chrome, links like ''laxsearch'' can be...: Hello, when I try to search something on Google Chrome, it directs me to Yahoo automatically and weird links are visible in the searchbar like ''Laxsearch''. I tried to go into my extensions and see if the problems were there and yup, Laxsearch was there as an extension. When...
  5. Searching in Yahoo when searching in normal Google Chrome, links like ''laxsearch'' can be...

Searching in Yahoo when searching in normal Google Chrome, links like ''laxsearch'' can be...: Hello, when I try to search something on Google Chrome, it directs me to Yahoo automatically and weird links are visible in the searchbar like ''Laxsearch''. I tried to go into my extensions and see if the problems were there and yup, Laxsearch was there as an extension. When...
  6. Searching in Yahoo when searching in normal Google Chrome, links like ''laxsearch'' can be...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Windows search, indexing, and update not working despite common fix attempts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search, indexing, and update not working despite common fix attempts: I've been experiencing persistent issues with the Windows Search function on my Windows 10 system. When I attempt to use the search feature, it seems that not all applications are appearing in the results. I've noticed that in Task Manager, the Search process is automatically...
  8. Windows search, indexing, and update not working despite common fix attempts

Windows search, indexing, and update not working despite common fix attempts: I've been experiencing persistent issues with the Windows Search function on my Windows 10 system. When I attempt to use the search feature, it seems that not all applications are appearing in the results. I've noticed that in Task Manager, the Search process is automatically...
  9. Windows search, indexing, and update not working despite common fix attempts

in Cortana
  10. Windows 11 file explorer does not have good explanations of search options. How do you...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 file explorer does not have good explanations of search options. How do you...: Windows 11 file explorer doesn't have explanations of search options. I was trying to find favorited videos and pictures in file explorer and there was no pop up explaining what the search options were or even any way to get search help within windows 11 file explorer. This...