Windows 10: Searches fail. Can this be corrected?

Discus and support Searches fail. Can this be corrected? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is there anything one can do to make Win 10 find stuff correctly? I had this idea Search wasn't working properly and now have confirmed it. Here's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by James1093, Aug 16, 2018.

1. James1093 Win User

Searches fail. Can this be corrected?

Is there anything one can do to make Win 10 find stuff correctly?
    I had this idea Search wasn't working properly and now have confirmed it.
    Here's what I do, open a folder on the desktop and I can see the files. I click the Search box at top left of screen and type something (from a file I can see). Incidentally do you press Return or not, after that? Sometimes it starts searching, other times does nothing.

Windows then tells me "No items match your search.".
    The only way I can find the files is to search from another computer (running XP) where it shows all files as expected. Isn't this a bit crazy? I spent weeks restoring some stuff I thought I'd lost (only to find it by chance later). So a fix would be very welcome.

:)

James1093, Aug 16, 2018

2. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

• Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    • Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    • Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    • Select add someone else on this PC.
    • Enter a user name and hit next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Aug 16, 2018
  3. Totig Win User
    Using Marketplace in WM7 - no predictive search or corrections

Hi, I have noticed that when using Marketplace and performing a search within the Zune player, if you dont spell an artist/song name exactly, then Zune will not come up with any results. This is very poor user experience, as when using Bing, it does
    offer suggestions. For instance, searching Meetloaf finds nothing (does not even offer suggestions/corrections), but obviously meatloaf does.

Totig, Aug 16, 2018
  4. Searches fail. Can this be corrected?

Help with the Windows Search Service failed

Hi,

Having some damaged system components is one of the possible causes why the services in the system are failing. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows is installed on your computer?
    • What changes have you made to your computer before this issue occurred?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest refreshing the Windows Search service. To do so, follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key + R to pull-up the Run box.
    • In the Run box, type services.msc and then hit the Enter key.
    • In the Services window, look for Windows Search, right-click on it and then choose Stop.
    • Restart your computer.
    • Pull-up the Services window again.
    • Look for Windows Search, right-click on it and then choose Start.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Aug 16, 2018
Thema:

Searches fail. Can this be corrected?

1. Searches fail. Can this be corrected? - Similar Threads - Searches fail corrected

2. File Explorer not searching correctly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer not searching correctly.: About two weeks ago I noticed File Explorer was not searching. I use windows 11.I noted if I entered a single letter eg E then it gave many results, most did not have a highlighted E but I assume somewhere in the selected file there must have been an E. If I enter two digits...
  3. Search does not work correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search does not work correctly: Why do I keep getting "Telegram" and "Uninstall Telegram" when I have uninstalled it. Every time I search for it I get the image. I have reinstalled and uninstalled it and it still appears. Of course, if I click open or click either one of them, nothing happens....
  4. Search does not work correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search does not work correctly: Why do I keep getting "Telegram" and "Uninstall Telegram" when I have uninstalled it. Every time I search for it I get the image. I have reinstalled and uninstalled it and it still appears. Of course, if I click open or click either one of them, nothing happens....
  5. Search does not work correctly

in Cortana
  6. Not work correct windows search

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not work correct windows search: I don't type windows search nothing. 182944
  7. Search not working correctly

in Cortana
    Search not working correctly: Hello everyone I'm having a problem with a search bar in win10. I just did a clean windows install and noticed that the search bar doesn't find some of the things I'm looking for. For example, if I searched for "sound" or "remove" before reinstalling windows, the search...
  8. Search Bar is not working correctly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search Bar is not working correctly: When I try to search it shows already uninstalled programs and I'm not able to find new ones... Restarting windows didn't work. submitted by /u/KryKrycz [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gif0kh/search_bar_is_not_working_correctly/
  9. Cortana Search not working correctly

in Cortana
    Cortana Search not working correctly: So, for a couple days my cortana search is not working correctly. When I have it set to the icon, if I have another application focused, clicking on the cortana icon to search will not bring up cortana. Only way to bring up cortana after pressing the icon, is to go into an...
  10. Search Not Working Correctly

in Windows 10 Support
    Search Not Working Correctly: Hi, My search box doesnt seem to be working correctly. When i seach for my files, nothing appears unless i click search my stuff > Other place to look > File explorer. Its fine when searching for apps such as Word or Edge. I've tried rebuilding my index and what not...