Windows 10: Searches Folder

Discus and support Searches Folder in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Under pc>user there is a folder called "searches." There are two sub folders under searchers called 'everywhere' an 'indexed locations.' There is over... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RichardC, Jul 27, 2017.

1. RichardC Win User

Searches Folder

Under pc>user there is a folder called "searches." There are two sub folders under searchers called 'everywhere' an 'indexed locations.' There is over 128,000 items in everywhere. Is it safe to delete either of this sub folders contents?

:)

RichardC, Jul 27, 2017

2. Searches Folder ? C: Users (owner) Searches ..

Bob

The "everywhere" folder is a remnant of a legacy OS (probably vista or win 7) and it contains the results of the searches not the actual files themselves. They contain pointers to the actual files which is why you can click on them and open the actual file.
    BTW they are "virtual" files/folders so do not take up much space.

Have you tried deleting them in safe mode? (win key +"R">msconfig>boot tab>safe mode>reboot)

Have you tried taking ownership of them then deleting them

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/take-ownership-windows-8

http://windows.mercenie.com/windows-8/how-to-take-ownership-permission-of-a-file-or-folder-in-windows-8/

If all else fails you could boot from the win 10 ISO and using the command prompt navigate to them and delete them

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jul 27, 2017
  3. BobL1360 Win User
    Searches Folder ? C: Users (owner) Searches ..

I have seen several references to this folder and I have tried various suggestions on how to manage this monster with no luck. In the
    Everywhere subfolder I have 427,000 entries and in the Indexed Locations there are 2,800. In the
    Everywhere folder I can click on the ones that are marked as a VLC media file and open movies I have saved on my physical D drive. These files in the C drive
    Everywhere folder are the same as the movies in my D drive. I also see web searches from months ago, deleted emails etc. I have run CCLeaner, windows disk cleaner and cleared history on all my search engines and so on. How do I delete old emails and
    searches from this folder (clicking delete does not work)? How can I manage to get 427,000 entries down to what I think would be a normal level, no I don't know what a "normal" level should be but I know its not 427,000.

BobL1360, Jul 27, 2017
  4. RichardC Win User

Searches Folder

I'm really surprised that there are no techs or even knowledgeable users that has some kind of response to this question. I'm I in the wrong forum?

RichardC, Jul 28, 2017
  5. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey RichardC,
    From what I've read, I would NOT delete those folders.
    1. Could slow down your searches
    2. Could mess up indexing
    3. They take up very little space on the HDD

Eagle51, Jul 29, 2017
  6. RichardC Win User
    Thanks Eagle51. Will heed your advise.

RichardC, Jul 29, 2017
  7. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey RichardC,
    I did find out one thing .... DO NOT delete anything inside the Everywhere Folder ... as they point to the actual file .. which will get deleted *Sad

So I stand by my original statement .... Leave them alone *Smile

Eagle51, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Searches Folder

1. Searches Folder - Similar Threads - Searches Folder

2. Why when searching about a folder name that contains Hyphen-Minus in File Explorer it says...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why when searching about a folder name that contains Hyphen-Minus in File Explorer it says...: Hello everyone,I have a folder called "Test folder" as it appears in the following path: D:\Test folderand in Test folder i have other folder called "welcome - welcome", notice that the name contains Hyphen-Minus. See the following image:now, when I copy the name of the...
  3. Why when searching about a folder name that contains Hyphen-Minus in File Explorer it says...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why when searching about a folder name that contains Hyphen-Minus in File Explorer it says...: Hello everyone,I have a folder called "Test folder" as it appears in the following path: D:\Test folderand in Test folder i have other folder called "welcome - welcome", notice that the name contains Hyphen-Minus. See the following image:now, when I copy the name of the...
  4. Why when searching about a folder name that contains Hyphen-Minus in File Explorer it says...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I reinstalled windows and reindexed but now I cannot search the C drive only other folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I reinstalled windows and reindexed but now I cannot search the C drive only other folders: Not wildly inconvenient but strange https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-reinstalled-windows-and-reindexed-but-now-i/55ffc742-3d2f-4329-898e-928b42221584
  6. I reinstalled windows and reindexed but now I cannot search the C drive only other folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I reinstalled windows and reindexed but now I cannot search the C drive only other folders: Not wildly inconvenient but strange https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-reinstalled-windows-and-reindexed-but-now-i/55ffc742-3d2f-4329-898e-928b42221584
  7. I reinstalled windows and reindexed but now I cannot search the C drive only other folders

8. Documents folder not showing up unless I search for it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents folder not showing up unless I search for it.: I have been messing with my files recently to try to move some of them Downloads and Documents to my external drive and when I attempted to do that, I moved the files from documents into my external drive and deleted the one on my PC's drive. I then attempted to add mods to a...
  9. Documents folder not showing up unless I search for it.

Documents folder not showing up unless I search for it.: I have been messing with my files recently to try to move some of them Downloads and Documents to my external drive and when I attempted to do that, I moved the files from documents into my external drive and deleted the one on my PC's drive. I then attempted to add mods to a...
  10. Cant folder search pdf files in Windows 11

Cant folder search pdf files in Windows 11: used to be able to do a windows 10 folder search into contents of a pdf file ......... but now it cannot. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-folder-search-pdf-files-in-windows-11/0694a5d6-5ade-419d-a3e6-cf6106ffe8cf