Windows 10: Searching from Start Menu won't find files on separate hard drive

Discus and support Searching from Start Menu won't find files on separate hard drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yesterday I put in a second hard drive so I could keep all of my media separate from my OS hard drive. After formatting, I tried to do a Cortana search... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by EstoGaza, Aug 14, 2016.

1. EstoGaza Win User

Searching from Start Menu won't find files on separate hard drive

Yesterday I put in a second hard drive so I could keep all of my media separate from my OS hard drive. After formatting, I tried to do a Cortana search for a specific TV show on the new drive. Searching with cortana from the task bar won't find anything on the second drive.

I did a little research and saw that you need to index the drive. I right clicked on the drive and went into properties, then I made sure I had this box checked

'Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties'

Then i went into indexing options and selected the whole new drive and let windows rebuild the index. After around 4 or 5 hours the rebuild finished and I still can't find any of my files when searching from the start menu.

I can open up file explorer and search from there fine, but that's not what I want. It's an extra step I shouldn't have to do. I could also download "Search Everything" or a similar third party search application, which is another thing I don't want to do. Searching from the start menu is ingrained in my head like typing in the home position is.

Has anyone with multiple hard drives in a single PC had this issue? Would merging the two hard drives into one partition get it working? I'd rather not do that, but if it's the only way I can search my entire PC from the taskbar I might have to.

Never had this issue with Windows 7..

Not sure how much system specs matter in this scenario, but here they are.

Code: Operating System Windows 10 Home 64-bit CPU AMD FX-8300 54 °C Vishera 32nm Technology RAM 8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 802MHz (11-11-11-28) Motherboard ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M51BC (Socket 942) 59 °C Graphics HP 23xi (1920x1080@60Hz) Acer H203H (1600x900@60Hz) 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 66 °C Storage 1863GB Hitachi HUA723020ALA641 SATA Disk Device (SATA) 43 °C 931GB Seagate ST1000DM 003-1CH162 SATA Disk Device (SATA) 48 °C Optical Drives ASUS DVD RAM GH95N SATA CdRom Device DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device Audio ASUS Xonar U3 Audio Device[/quote]

:)

EstoGaza, Aug 14, 2016

2. Windows 10 start menu and apps not working

None of these worked for me, I tried a new user account but although the start menu did work, Cortana search didn't.

I therefore had to do a clean install again, this is the third time. Every thing seemed to work then except i couldn't access some folders on a separate hard drive, I did not have access to some folders and files. I found a work around but it was so time
    consuming to have to do all the individual files that I formatted the drive and restored them from a back up. All now seems to be ok, until the next time the start menu fails.

Brian Guy Evans, Aug 14, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Start Menu Search not finding shortcuts

Hello,

in my experience so far Windows 10 displays this behavior mostly for .exe files. I got a lot of small tools and utilities in a separate folder. The start menu search would find the folder and everything in it except for the .exe file.

Pinning the .exe to the start menu (creating a shortcut) doesn't help. Even though the shortcut shows up in the start menu, it can't be found by search.

Is there any sort of new security rule to block .exe files of unregistered apps from being found and/or executed within the start menu?

Thanks for your efforts in advance!

namelessrabbit, Aug 14, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, it may depend on what you're searching for.
    Cortana search boxes, as you know, only search what's indexed as far as files/folders are concerned.
    But executables are not found (exe, bat, cmd...).

Further, you may need to click the file category (Documents, Photos, Videos... ) in Cortana's window.

I just tried this. I added aardvark.txt to a flash drive, added it to be indexed, which is was.
    Typing aardvark in the search box found nothing. Clicking Documents did.

Clearly having to wait for an external drive (which could appear with a different drive letter when next it's plugged in) to be indexed before you can search it hardly makes sense.

Cortana's limitations are not encouraging me to use it at all.

Notwithstanding your distaste for 3rd party programs, when I added 'files' to Classic Shell's configurable search, simply typing aardvark into the search box found that file and a previously created test file on my internal disk whose contents were aardvark.

Rational, functional - and unlike the disaster the Win 10 menu is for start menus with subfolders, where it ignores the subfolders, and lists all shortcuts under the main folder in alpha order, resulting sometimes in (e.g.)
    Help
    Help
    Help
    in the start menu (Help from different programs) Classic Shell just works.

dalchina, Aug 15, 2016
  5. EstoGaza Win User
    I should have just been using classic shell all along. Thank you for your suggestion. My main problem with 3rd party programs was that I couldn't search directly from the taskbar. Classic shell allows me to do that, and the search results are way faster and easier to access. Cortana was a huge step back.

EstoGaza, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Searching from Start Menu won't find files on separate hard drive - Similar Threads - Searching Start Menu

2. File Explorer Won't Start from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Won't Start from Start Menu: I can no longer start File Explorer from the Start Menu link, or task bar link on Win 11. When pressed the screen goes off, reappears without icons or task bar then goes back to normal. File Explorer isn't visible but is running in Task Manager. Shortcuts to existing folders...
  3. File Explorer Won't Start from Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Won't Start from Start Menu: I can no longer start File Explorer from the Start Menu link, or task bar link on Win 11. When pressed the screen goes off, reappears without icons or task bar then goes back to normal. File Explorer isn't visible but is running in Task Manager. Shortcuts to existing folders...
  4. Search not starting from start menu

in Cortana
    Search not starting from start menu: Hi,I recently started using my laptop after not using it for a while and the search doesn't seem to be working anymore.Normally to search I hit the windows key and start typing, the search results load in immediately.Now I hit the windows key and start typing, nothing happens...
  5. Separate Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Separate Hard Drive: My C Drive only has 100Gb free. Will I be able to install Microsoft Flight Sim data on the E drive where I have lots of space? Bryan https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/separate-hard-drive/a74a3df4-ef72-402b-95d5-6813869a431f
  6. start menu search won't work

in Windows 10 Customization
    start menu search won't work: since a few days ago it's become that i can't use the search bar in the start menu and this has persisted despite using sfc /scannow and multiple reboots. this is very frustrating.if i type something into the search bar, a few little dots will scroll at the top and then...
  7. Search not finding files in best match from the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Search not finding files in best match from the Start Menu: Every time I open the start menu and type a few characters of a file I'm looking for Windows doesn't find it. For example if I type 'art' Windows shows me the Paint app whereas I am looking for a file in my documents that contains the word 'Art', now if I click the find...
  8. Start menu or search won't open

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu or search won't open: I did a clean install of w10 from w7 a couple of months ago and everything has been running fine until about a week ago since when I've not been able open the start menue. Reading through other posts on line with the same problem has not provided a solution so far. I've ran...
  9. Start menu search not finding applications?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu search not finding applications?: Hi, I just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. However once i install programs like Office 2013 i can't find the application exe files by searching in the start menu. If i search for outlook or word in the start menu nothing shows up, this was not an issue in...
  10. Start Menu search not finding files

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu search not finding files: When I go to search for files (such as images/videos) through the Start Menu search (Cortana), files do not appear in results. The only way I can actually find these files is to manually click the "More" dropdown and select whichever file type it is (photos, videos, music...