Windows 10: Searching through registry takes forever after November Windows 10 upd

Discus and support Searching through registry takes forever after November Windows 10 upd in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Recently i've updated my Windows 10 Pro x64 with that big November update without any issues except that now searching through registry takes literally... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Cel, Nov 23, 2015.

1. CEL
    Cel Win User

Searching through registry takes forever after November Windows 10 upd

Recently i've updated my Windows 10 Pro x64 with that big November update without any issues except that now searching through registry takes literally forever because it never ends. It still finds entries but eventually it would just get stuck on searching and if i try to can it - regedit crashes.

This seems to happen somewhere during the search through HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE entries because i can search fine up to HKLM and past it but not inside it.

I've been wondering what could be causing this?

I've also tried exporting HKLM entries and found out that it's about 230 mb which seems a lot for a registry.

:)

2. Searching through registry takes forever after November Windows 10 update and results in a crash.

Same problem for me on Win10 Pro. The ooRegEdit utility suggested by Sina works much better, at least for searching.

Todd Goldfinger, Nov 23, 2015
  3. Sina.S Win User
    Searching through registry takes forever after November Windows 10 update and results in a crash.

Hello, same problem here with Windows 10 Enterprise x64.

The only solution I've found so far is to copy/paste regedt32 from /Windows/system32/ to somewhere else and run it manually.

Hope this works for you.

Sina.S, Nov 23, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

The regedit crashing is happening to lots of people (see here fore example). We need to wait for a fix.

I just exported HKLM and it was 190MB (202MB if I export everything) for me - this is on a clean install with no additional programs installed yet - so 230MB doesn't seem completely unreasonable.

5. CEL
    Cel Win User
    Guess i've been searching for wrong words this whole time :/

Thx for showing me that thread. Yeah i've got 2 month's old installation of Windows with a lot of software installed so that's why its a bit bigger.

6. lx07 Win User
    I only knew 'cos it happened to me...

7. MMO
    mmo Win User
    Same here. Any fix in sight?

8. dalchina New Member

1. regedit from build 10240 is said to work- some have replaced the current one with that. Details in a lengthy thread on this topic.
    2. 'Easier' in several respects and better in that you get extra features like the equivalent of an address bar so you can paste registry key names into it is to use one of the free 3rd party registry editors. Some offer better searching in that they search the whole of the registry, and list all results, and some allow searching for multiple items in one search.

dalchina, Dec 20, 2015
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    I have not used Windows regedit in years. I bought a registry editor long time ago, and it works very well with the last 3 versions of Windows. But its not a free app. Registry Workshop. I'm sure their are free apps too, but I just prefer Registry Workshop and its features. *Smile

OldMike65, Dec 20, 2015
  10. CEL
    Cel Win User
    Personally im just waiting for a microsoft fix. I don't use regedit that often and i usually know where the keys i need are located in the first place.

I've tried confirming this issue on answers.microsoft.com but i was just put through the motions of "do sfc /scannow and use windows troubleshooting".

At some point after you've dealt with windows and pc issues in general long enough those two suggestions are just infuriating. No one replied me after those two suggestions but i hope that they know about the issue anyway. Even if they don't - its just a matter of waiting for the next build.

11. Almighty1 Win User
    Almighty1, Dec 22, 2015
  12. The solution for the issue where CTRL-F in registry results in an endless search is CMD as Administrator and regsvr32 oleacc.dll ENTER. Please help STOP THE GLOBALISTS! stoptheglobalists.com - Portail d'informations. Americans are in grave danger with little time left as UN combat vehicles and troops position themselves in various positions throughout the USA.

AstralTim67, Sep 8, 2016
  13. lx07 Win User

This thread is more than 6 months old.

While you might be correct (and welcome to the forums) I really do not think it has anything to do with UN combat vehicles.

In actual fact upgrading to the current version of Wondows (1607) works fine.

I've a feeling you are looking for a different website mate.

Thema:

1. Searching through registry takes forever after November Windows 10 upd - Similar Threads - Searching through registry

2. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Taking forever: I am the owner of an Acer Nitro 5 which meets what is needed to upgrade to windows 11. For the past 2 weeks I have been checking on the update and security and all I get are update for defender and so on but i have not been able to get the upgrade. And yes I did to the health...
  3. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taking forever: I am the owner of an Acer Nitro 5 which meets what is needed to upgrade to windows 11. For the past 2 weeks I have been checking on the update and security and all I get are update for defender and so on but i have not been able to get the upgrade. And yes I did to the health...
  4. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 taking forever to log in

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 taking forever to log in: When i log in it takes like 10-30 minutes. I don’t know when this happened but i know that it has been way shorter before. But a long time ago. How do I fix this? submitted by /u/secondoverthree [link] [comments]...
  6. Windows 10 Install Taking Forever

Windows 10 Install Taking Forever: Hello, I have a question regarding Windows 10 Installation & Upgrade. I am trying to install Windows 10 1809 32-bit on my Virtual Box but the installer is stuck in "Getting files ready for installation". The percentage of completion is increasing by 15-30 minute intervals. I...
  7. Windows 10 takes forever to restart.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 takes forever to restart.: As title says, it takes almost an hour to restart, even when the OS is installed in a SSD. Which nulifies the whole point of using one. This happened before but could fix it simply by updating Windows. Now I'm at the latest update and the issue showed up again. [ATTACH]...
  8. Windows 10 reset taking forever

Windows 10 reset taking forever: Recently I decided to reset my Windows 10 install after having my laptop crash a few times. However, while resetting, I realised that the progress on the install bit has been stuck on 7% for awhile now. As of writing this, the progress on the installation is still stuck on...
  9. Windows (10) takes forever to boot after login

Windows (10) takes forever to boot after login: I have an i3 desktop (8GBRAM, 64 bit and ton of HD space). I have set the power option to 'Never' sleep. Every night I just lock the system. After having the system locked for longer times, it takes forever to unlock before I can use the desktop for normal usage. I see the...
  10. Chkdsk Taking forever Windows 10

Chkdsk Taking forever Windows 10: I have read many other iterations of exactly what I'm about to ask and have yet to receive a satisfying answer. I work for an IT Consultancy firm where we oversee thousands of independent systems. In the last two weeks, across the board regardless of disk size and machine...