Windows 10: SearchUI.exe stop working when move AppData/local

Discus and support SearchUI.exe stop working when move AppData/local in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! Months ago I moved my user folder C:\Users\<my_user_folder> to a new location using a director junction. First of all I created a new user I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Wicked, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Wicked Win User

SearchUI.exe stop working when move AppData/local

Hello!

Months ago I moved my user folder C:\Users\<my_user_folder> to a new location using a director junction.
    • First of all I created a new user
    • I copied the user folder with xcopy to E:\C_DRIVE\Users\<my_user_folder>
    • I created a directory junction with mklink /J
    It worked like a charm for months.

three days ago, after a small update, I don't remember which update was, Start menu stopped working. I noticed, that SearchUI.exe is not present in the task manager.
    Seems that all app from SystemApps failed to load (checking Windows Event log, all the apps didn't start with an error code).
    The funny thing is that if I create a new user (admin or not) on C:\Users, start button and apps work well. As soon as I move them to the new drive with the just described procedure, they stop working!

I tried also moving only AppData/Local and AppData/Local/Packages and in both case, only moving those folders cause the problem,
    does anyone experienced the same problem? has anyone any idea on how to solve it?
    Thanks!

:)

Wicked, Apr 18, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Can I use "location" to move my user account to the D drive?

Hi Beemer,

You can move the folders inside AppData (Local, LocalLow, and Roaming) with no problem at all using the Location Tab, do not move the actual AppData folder (it will be empty anyway when you move the contained folders) as that can cause issues.

DaveM121, Apr 18, 2016
  3. When trying to move Appdata - Access is denied

I have a 128 gb ssd and I want to move my appdata local files to my 2tb HD because I need more space to update to the creators update work I want to develop a uwp app for. Also why would you be unable to change the appdata/local location when there is
    a location tab in properties that allows you to do it?

LiamJacquet, Apr 18, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, this is the recommended way to move user folders:
    Users Folder - Move Location in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

(You can move folders such as Documents by using the Location tab in the Properties sheet)

You will create problems for yourself in hacking Win 10- it's not very forgiving.

Note that searching Settings, for example, relies on Windows indexed search being able to search the relevant part of your user folders.

dalchina, Apr 18, 2016
  5. Wicked Win User
    thank you! Yes I saw that tutorial, but I prefer to not move all the user folder. I like the idea of moving folder via location tab but I have problem moving folder like AppData/Local.
    I will try again.

thanks again

Wicked, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. SearchUI.exe stop working when move AppData/local - Similar Threads - SearchUI exe stop

2. Error .exe stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error .exe stopped working: Hello, I have programmed an executable in fortran and when I run it I get the error .exe it stopped working. It's not the first executable I've done and so far it's worked well for me. Nor do I think it is a matter of the capacity of the computer since I have looked at the...
  3. Error .exe stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error .exe stopped working: Hello, I have programmed an executable in fortran and when I run it I get the error .exe it stopped working. It's not the first executable I've done and so far it's worked well for me. Nor do I think it is a matter of the capacity of the computer since I have looked at the...
  4. Error .exe stopped working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. hl2.exe stopped working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    hl2.exe stopped working: Hello guys when i want to inject the dll to the game. the log popup crash and wont inject. the dll work on 32 bit system but wont work on 64 idk why. here some information: hl2.exe Summary Stopped working Date ‎8/‎19/‎2020 4:07 AM Status Report sent...
  6. SquirrelTemp in Appdata local

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SquirrelTemp in Appdata local: Why is this folder in my appdata? is this a virus? basically i was searching for a document in win10 but i spelt in wrong and found squirrel instead. After a quick google i found out that squirrel is both a set of tools and a library, to completely manage both installation...
  7. How to move appdata/local folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to move appdata/local folder?: I keep getting file xxx used by system. I already have group policies: "Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode" disabled "Add the Administrators security group to roaming user profiles." enabled I've already moved roaming, local low, documents (although some files &...
  8. Restoring local Appdata

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restoring local Appdata: I have just accidentally deleted some of my local appdata files. I wanted to only clear the temp folder, but me being me I have somehow forgotten to go into the temp folder. Will a system restore recover deleted files?...
  9. Access to Local AppData

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access to Local AppData: In short, I've developed an office add in that uses Local AppData folder to log (using Log4net) as well as produce dynamic dlls. Last year August I had our first incident of a user not being able to write to the AppData location. It seems to be an Access Denied issue. I...
  10. How to move C:\...\Appdata\Local to other disk?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to move C:\...\Appdata\Local to other disk?: Hello everyone!... Last week, I have been trying a lot of stuff to move my files from Appdata. However creating a symbolic link is not enough. I got PC's where i could change the location just by clicking to properties(Going to Location and changing it manually), but they...
Tags: