Windows 10: second display configuration issue

Discus and support second display configuration issue in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hi All, My configuration: Windows 10 Pro x64 AMD Radeon HD 7800 Latest updates and video drivers installed, no hardware changes for 2+... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Andriy, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Andriy Win User

second display configuration issue

Hi All,

My configuration:

Windows 10 Pro x64
    AMD Radeon HD 7800

Latest updates and video drivers installed, no hardware changes for 2+ months, latest significant Windows update 2 weeks ago, latest AMD video driver installed at least a week ago.

I have 2 identical displays connected via DVI to Windows PC over several years already with "Extend displays" configuration, and suddenly this configuration stopped working a couple of days ago when I was in the middle of doing something. Windows just replaced it with "Duplicate displays" configuration.

During PC startup I see BIOS diagnostics on both displays. Windows detects 2 displays. "Show only on 1" and "Show only on 2" options work as expected.

Problem: "Extend these displays" results in display 1 going blank and display 2 shows it's part of the image.

AMD Eyefinity (which creates virtual desktop over several monitors) works fine - which suggests that problem maybe only with Windows configuration.

What is done:

• checked cables
    • removed and installed again latest AMD drivers
    • removed second display from the System Devices, refreshed hardware list and added display again - now I have "Generic PnP monitor" and monitor with correct name in Monitors section
    • searched for latest drivers for monitors and display adapters from Device Manager, nothing found

Next I replaced one monitor with monitor from different manufacturer, and everything works as expected - "Extend these displays" configuration shows extended image.

Any ideas what else can be done to fix the problem?

Thank you in advance.

:)

Andriy, Aug 27, 2017
  2. ChuckWM Win User

Primary Monitor Stopped Working

I have a Sony Vaio VGC-JS290J All in One Desktop configured to drive a second monitor via a DisplayLink USB Display Adapter.

Everything was working fine for a long time and then I advertantly pulled the adapter from the PC. Once everything was back running the main display monetarily flashes a display during a boot cycle or shutdown and then the primary display goes dark and only
    the second display works, I have tried various configurations, reverting to only the primary display, coming in over a remote PC. reloading drivers, disabling displays, etc.

Bottom line - Windows thinks the primary display is working fine and I can figure it as the primary or second monitor, I can configure it as a duplicate or do it as extension. The display configuration thinks it is working but other for a brief second when
    booting or shutting down the computer, the main display stays black. I know the monitor is working because it does momentarily display. I tried upgrading from Window 7 to Windows 10 hoping it would fix it but no cigar. Is there a registry entry that could
    fix this problem? How do I do it?

ChuckWM, Aug 27, 2017
  3. Mark Ole Win User
    reset cofiguration

Hi,

To address your concern, you can simply shutdown the computer and disconnect the second display. Restart the computer, reconnect the second display and configure it.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Mark Ole, Aug 27, 2017
  4. second display configuration issue

Hi Andriy. Welcome to the TenForums @Andriy

If you "Windows Key + P" do you get an option to extend?

If you use Windows to identify displays does it know there is a 1 and a 2?

Do you have System Restore enabled and have you thought about using restore to go back in time.

Before doing so consider making an Image using a product like Macrium Reflect. Free, reliable and a great way to get your system back to this point.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Aug 28, 2017
  5. Andriy Win User
    Thank you for response @Caledon Ken.

If you "Windows Key + P" do you get an option to extend? - Yes

If you use Windows to identify displays does it know there is a 1 and a 2? - Yes

Do you have System Restore enabled and have you thought about using restore to go back in time. - I do have System Restore enabled, however I didn't think about rolling back as there were no software or hardware updates before the issue. OS loaded correctly, next after about an hour of working (editing text) second screen just became blank.

Andriy, Aug 31, 2017
  6. Interesting.

If you switch display 1 and 2 does it do the same thing? Does display 2 still go black after an hour or does 1 go blank.

I think I would also create an Image with a tool like Macrium and I think I would try system restore.

I think we both agree, something changed or something is failing.

Caledon Ken, Aug 31, 2017
  7. Andriy Win User
    Yes I have verified that both screens operational - physically switched connections between displays and PC, but second display still played up.

Rolling back via System Restore was not an option as there were no system changes for a long time.

My theory is that in some configurations system struggling to distinguish displays from the same manufacturer and they detected identically.

Andriy, Sep 1, 2017
  8. second display configuration issue

While not a fix for this issue you may wish to investigate the usage of Macrium Reflect. By taking regular images you can roll back at will.

When you switched displays did you switch their cables with them?

You said you removed and re-installed AMD drivers so hopefully that would have reset most configuration files? I wonder if repeating the process and running DDU to do the removal would be more complete.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...installer.html

You might even try an older driver to see if this is an issue with the new driver.

If the configuration is not part of the AMD side of the house then I think you are looking at what can be done to Windows.(Reset, Repair or Clean install). The repair process is straight forward and we all now what is involved in a clean install.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Ken

Caledon Ken, Sep 1, 2017
  9. Andriy Win User
    When you switched displays did you switch their cables with them? - No

You said you removed and re-installed AMD drivers so hopefully that would have reset most configuration files? I wonder if repeating the process and running DDU to do the removal would be more complete. - Will give it a try

You might even try an older driver to see if this is an issue with the new driver. - There were no driver upgrades for a long time before the issue

Andriy, Sep 3, 2017
  10. So if cable is common, always being attached to Display 2, do you have another you can try? Likely not cable but ruling it out means one more thing checked.

Caledon Ken, Sep 3, 2017
  11. Andriy Win User
    Investigating the problem I swapped cables already and affected display is always the 2nd in the Windows configuration - looks like pure software problem. Sadly I don't have two identical monitors from different manufacturer to verify this theory.

Andriy, Sep 12, 2017
  12. Have you reported to AMD? Might be worth jumping on one of their graphic forums to see how they suggest resolving.

I think you said you tried and older driver?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Sep 12, 2017
  13. Andriy Win User

Sorry for the late reply, by some reason I am not getting new messages notifications from forum.

I did not report to AMD as Eyefinity works fine. Have not tried old driver as with new one system was working for at least a couple of weeks.

Maybe worth checking what AMD forums suggest, will give it a try.

Andriy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. second display configuration issue - Similar Threads - second display configuration

2. Second Display

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second Display: I'm unable to detect my second display since upgrading computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/second-display/47032ee7-f129-4521-abd2-94986695d0dd
  3. Second Display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Second Display: I'm unable to detect my second display since upgrading computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/second-display/47032ee7-f129-4521-abd2-94986695d0dd
  4. Second Display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Second display graphics text and icon issue

Second display graphics text and icon issue: My second display is working fine with native resolution set, except there's some sudden bright pixels between text, and icons especially in between small text and icon. This is really a pain to look at. I've attached a photo of my monitor: [IMG] As u can see the "sudden...
  6. Display on Second Monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display on Second Monitor: Hi, When I connected my laptop Windows 10 to the second display through HDMI, there is no extended or duplicate display on the second monitor. Is there anything else I have to do to make the second monitor/display working? I will appreciate advise. Thanks, Verma...
  7. Windows Second Display Scaling issue

Windows Second Display Scaling issue: I am having an 15.6 inch laptop and I use my 24 inch TV as my second display. The issue is when I connect my TV through HDMi cable the scaling on my second display goes out the margin and I have tired do scale it through windows display settings and through intel graphics...
  8. Use of dual displays configuration

in Windows 10 Support
    Use of dual displays configuration: Hello I just setup my Windows 10 Pro 64 bits for dual display use It works fine for Photoshop ( my main application) where I have image on one display and panels on the other one But strange things appear - When i start Firefox , the image switches to the secondary display -...
  9. Display configuration issue

Display configuration issue: New HP Pavilion 595 DT PC connected for first time to older HP 2310m monitor displays images/screen shots that exceed the boundaries of the 23 inch monitor so that the full image of any screen shot of any open app is incomplete and program icons at bottom of screen are...
  10. Second Display

Second Display: My computer no longer see my second display. Nothing changed that I'm aware of except the missing display. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/second-display/a180cb04-7e03-4ca0-b627-271a01317896