Windows 10: Secondary HDD freezes when writting to/deleting files

Discus and support Secondary HDD freezes when writting to/deleting files in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Since late Sep 2015 updates, I have been getting random freezes when writing files to secondary HDD via Internet Download Manager and also freezes when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jtjt00, Oct 4, 2015.

1. jtjt00 Win User

Secondary HDD freezes when writting to/deleting files

Since late Sep 2015 updates, I have been getting random freezes when writing files to secondary HDD via Internet Download Manager and also freezes when deleting big file in that HDD.

Things done to fix but failed:
    1. update Internet Download Manager to latest version
    2. replaced secondary HDD
    3. reformat and install Win 10 on SSD

Anyone here experience the same?

Before 22 Sep 2015, I don't have this issue.

:)

jtjt00, Oct 4, 2015

2. Permission error after upgrade

I upgraded my pc to an ssd but because of its size i kept my hdd as a secondary hd when i try to access any file from the hdd i get a permission error how do i regain full permission to my hdd thanks in advance

Time-guzzer, Oct 4, 2015
  3. Will Upgrading Architecture Delete My Files on Secondary HDD.

Hello Micael,

Well that's good choice being at a safer side. But main problem is I don't have any External media that can hold the size of my backup. It will require a 1 TB capacity device which I don't have so wished to know. I contacted some engineers which told me
    nothing will happen with files but I would prefer hearing that from Microsoft engineer to believe it.

So if they say it will erase I'll drop my plan of upgrading until I get a device to store my backup.

Well thanks for you reply @MicaelNielsen.

Thank You.

Raj Mayekar, Oct 4, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Did you also replace the Sata cable when you replaced the secondary HD ?

topgundcp, Oct 4, 2015
  5. jtjt00 Win User
    No, but upon inspection, found the cable not properly aligned to the Oric hard disk rack used. The cable is a combo with both sata data and power in a single. Will monitor now after unplug and replug in.

jtjt00, Oct 4, 2015
  6. jtjt00 Win User
    Still no go, now swapped the sata data/power cable and under monitoring.

jtjt00, Oct 4, 2015
  7. jtjt00 Win User
    After 2 days of downloading using internet download manager and writting to secondary HDD, can safely confirm that the sata data/power cable is the culprit. No more freeze during writting.

jtjt00, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Secondary HDD freezes when writting to/deleting files - Similar Threads - Secondary HDD freezes

2. HDD writting data very slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD writting data very slowly: I have this issue where suddenly my 4TB 5400RPM SMR drive with 128MB cache begins writing data copy to or from another drive very slowly 200 kb/sec . The same issue happens if I try downloading something from steam to this drive . The downloading simply does not progress. The...
  3. HDD writting data very slowly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDD writting data very slowly: I have this issue where suddenly my 4TB 5400RPM SMR drive with 128MB cache begins writing data copy to or from another drive very slowly 200 kb/sec . The same issue happens if I try downloading something from steam to this drive . The downloading simply does not progress. The...
  4. Add a secondary HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Add a secondary HDD: This weekend I plan on getting a new computer that has a 1TB SSD only. I plan on taking the 4TB HDD out of this 12-year-old computer and using it as a secondary drive “D” drive. My 4TB HDD is about 2.5 years old and is a western digital that has 2 partitions on it. My current...
  5. Add a secondary HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Add a secondary HDD: This weekend I plan on getting a new computer that has a 1TB SSD only. I plan on taking the 4TB HDD out of this 12-year-old computer and using it as a secondary drive “D” drive. My 4TB HDD is about 2.5 years old and is a western digital that has 2 partitions on it. My current...
  6. Secondary HDD not showing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Secondary HDD not showing: I got HP 15ay-543tu with windows 10 ver.1909 installed in it I istalled a new ssd with os in it to the main os boot space. And my older HDD as in DVD reader with caddy First few days it works fine, but suddenly it stopped showing in windows explorer, disk managment, device...
  7. Secondary hdd boot error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Secondary hdd boot error: I have installed Windows on my ssd in my laptop.. I took off the cd-dvd case and put an hdd.. now when I turn on there's an error (0xc000000f).. I entered the bios and the boot order is ok.. however if I press esc several times I get the option to choose a boot drive.. so I...
  8. Secondary HDD Loads when I open a file located in Primary SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Secondary HDD Loads when I open a file located in Primary SSD: Hello guys, I have an ADATA SP900 SSD located in C: and a WD BLUE 500GB located in D: and every time I open any software located in C: I hear noise from the secondary HDD, I open task manager and I see disk D: loading, I noticed this issue when browsing Google Chrome with...
  9. Secondary HDD Loads when I open a file located in Primary SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Secondary HDD Loads when I open a file located in Primary SSD: Hello guys, I have an ADATA SP900 SSD located in C: and a WD BLUE 500GB located in D: and every time I open any software located in C: I hear noise from the secondary HDD, I open task manager and I see disk D: loading, I noticed this issue when browsing Google Chrome with...
  10. Error when copying files to HDD's or deleting files.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Error when copying files to HDD's or deleting files.: I recently bought two drives (a 1TB Seagate and a 2 TB WD) off Facebook Marketplace. I know it's a risk to buy used HDD, particularly on Facebook/Craiglist/etc..., but considering the cost I thought it was an acceptable risk. I am having some strange issues with these two...