Windows 10: Secure Boot question (Expert Key Management)?

Discus and support Secure Boot question (Expert Key Management)? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I want to enable Secure Boot, but there is another option under the Secure Boot menu within the UEFI firmware section that I don't know what it means... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by win10freak, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Secure Boot question (Expert Key Management)?

I want to enable Secure Boot, but there is another option under the Secure Boot menu within the UEFI firmware section that I don't know what it means and my question is, should I enable the Expert Key Management options as well when enabling Secure Boot?

:)

win10freak, Dec 27, 2017

2. specific Secure Boot question

Hi Ronald,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.

I would suggest you to refer the below articles and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/secure-boot-watermark

Secure Boot Overview

Secure Boot Overview

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

ThofikhAhamad, Dec 27, 2017
  3. specific Secure Boot question

My question is related to an article Ubuntu's Secure Boot support vulnerability threatens even Windows PCs

The relevant info is that malware writers may soon be able to write bootkits that can bypass Secure Boot protection- because they will be signed with MS's key.

Is there anything a user can do to keep Secure Boot secure?

RonaldHeinscher, Dec 27, 2017
  4. Secure Boot question (Expert Key Management)?

That option is if you want to install your own secure boot keys - by default the Microsoft (and probably Dell) keys are already installed. You would need to install your own keys if you are using a non-Microsoft/non-Dell bootloader or UEFI drivers.

PolarNettles, Dec 28, 2017
  5. I want to keep it as it is if that would be possible and ONLY enable Secure Boot. Would that be fine?
    Or, do I need to enable the Expert Key Management option as well?

I don't plan on adding my own keys and I would not even know how to do that.

Another concern when enabling Secure Boot. Sometimes, Windows 10 downloads driver updates for Intel related stuff like network cards and maybe some display drivers as well. Since Intel is not Microsoft or Dell related, would this cause issues with Secure Boot?

Thanks!

win10freak, Dec 28, 2017
  6. Do not enable Expert Key Management it if you don't have your own keys, though I don't think it'll hurt anything if you enable it and don't load any certificates.

3rd party drivers are still signed by Microsoft.

Secure Boot question (Expert Key Management)? [​IMG]

PolarNettles, Dec 28, 2017
  7. So let me just confirm one last time just to be sure.

Is it fine to leave the Expert Key Management options alone and only enable Secure Boot?

Please confirm.

win10freak, Dec 28, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

Secure Boot question (Expert Key Management)?

Yes. Leave it alone.

If you want to install some boot loader that isn't signed by Microsoft (or on their list of approved ones) then you might have to temporarily disable Secure boot until you can install your own key.

If you are just running Windows then forget it.

If you want to install something else that is unsigned then you must disable secure boot first. You can then self sign later if you really want to use secure boot.

There is some more good reading here if you are interested - Secure Boot - ArchWiki

lx07, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Secure Boot question (Expert Key Management)?

1. Secure Boot question (Expert Key Management)? - Similar Threads - Secure Boot question

2. I have a quick question for a cyber security expert.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a quick question for a cyber security expert.: What would be the most secure configuration for Windows Defender firewall for personal use. ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-quick-question-for-a-cyber-security/3089cb3f-2629-4abe-a0c7-3d2960ab127f
  3. I have a quick question for a cyber security expert.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a quick question for a cyber security expert.: What would be the most secure configuration for Windows Defender firewall for personal use. ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-quick-question-for-a-cyber-security/3089cb3f-2629-4abe-a0c7-3d2960ab127f
  4. USB Security Keys strange question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Security Keys strange question: I have a curious question how do websites support the same security key before you need new usb security key. I mean I understand there meant to last years but I don’t see a website supporting the same security key for 30 years can you. I do understand their hack proof but I...
  5. USB Security Keys strange question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Security Keys strange question: I have a curious question how do websites support the same security key before you need new usb security key. I mean I understand there meant to last years but I don’t see a website supporting the same security key for 30 years can you. I do understand their hack proof but I...
  6. USB Security Keys strange question

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Question about secure boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about secure boot.: Can I disable secure boot for some time and enable it again ? As i want to run a portable distro on my machine btw I am on a dell PC. So will disabling and enabling secure boot affect my PC in anyway ? Will it mess up windows ?...
  8. Question about USB Security Key

Question about USB Security Key: Hi, I got a question about the USB Security Key feature. I'm planning to use a USB Security Key to login and logout of my PC. The question is, I have to plug the USB Security Key if I want to log in, what would happen if I plugged it out while still using the PC. Will I...
  9. Boot manager question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Boot manager question: Just a quick question for clarification : In Bios (Uefi) Windows Boot Manager is displayed at the top of the boot order. Is this the same as the Boot manager in Windows? [img] 135054
  10. UEFI Secure Boot questions

UEFI Secure Boot questions: My laptop has Windows 10 with Secure Boot enabled in my UEFI firmware setting and my question is, can Secure Boot still protect booting from a malicious OS or tool (from a bootable USB stick) even when using the F12 Boot Menu Options prompt? I have a Dell laptop, which uses...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. expert key management

2. expert key managment

3. what is expert key management

4. dell bios expert key management,
  5. expert key management bios