Windows 10: Secure 'File / Folder Deletion'

Discus and support Secure 'File / Folder Deletion' in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; As I understand it, when you delete a file, that file can still be 'recovered'. I believe that - even if you Empty the Recycle Bin - a smart 'crook'... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Pixelme, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Pixelme Win User

Secure 'File / Folder Deletion'

As I understand it, when you delete a file, that file can still be 'recovered'.

I believe that - even if you Empty the Recycle Bin - a smart 'crook' who manages to gain access to your PC can 'still' recover sensitive files you've deleted (for example, files that include financial information etc).

I don't want to go as far as encrypting my entire PC, but would like to know if - when deleting a file - you can do so in a way that means it is not recoverable.

I don't want to use a 3rd Party Tool (don't trust) so would prefer a Native Microsoft Solution for making a file 'unrecoverable' at the time I delete it.

I'm using Windows 10 Professional.

(Microsoft, if you're 'reading this', please add such a feature if it does not already exist)

Thanks in advance for any reply (appreciated).

:)

Pixelme, Aug 7, 2018

2. Trouble deleting a folder

Thanks for the suggestion but it says "delete folder failed for E:\....." for each folder I try.

*Confused Secure 'File / Folder Deletion' :confused:

Will I be forever stuck with these unnecessary folders? *Oh Well Secure 'File / Folder Deletion' :eek:hwell:

oli_ramsay, Aug 7, 2018
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    • Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    • Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    • Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    • Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Aug 7, 2018
  4. Secure 'File / Folder Deletion'

0 byte folder cannot be deleted Problem

I have a 0 byte folder and I can't delete it. I'm using win 7 64 bit.
    please help *Cry :cry:

It says access denied when trying, please login as admin blah blah msgs....

I've searched the net for hours, Trying unlocker, fileassassin, and all other 'file deleter' programs out there. tried on safe mode, tried the cmd commands, even in cmd it says access denied, tried the closing explorer.exe and doing the command. I tried changing permissions and atrributes and it says you do not have permission to view or edit this objects permission settings. I logged in as the Administrator and still no hope.

the folder originally contained all my movies but since then i moved(using the move command) all of them someplace else(on another hdd) and I thought it was gone but the folder is still there, 0 bytes. It was shared when i deleted it and still appeared on the shared folders list but inaccessible coz it was already deleted so i 'unshared' the folder from the shared folders list. and so the problem began. the folder is still there and it is undeletable

One surefire way to do it without deleting my files is copying all other files to another HDD and reformat it and copy it back again but my hdd is currently contains 1 tb out of 1.36 and i dont have any hdds with that free space to use.

ALSO I CAN'T OPEN THE FOLDER it says

Location is not available

'directory' is not accessible.
    Access is Denied.

i think its more of a windows glitch than a virus problem

help??? *Frown Secure 'File / Folder Deletion' :(

lyndonguitar, Aug 7, 2018
Thema:

Secure 'File / Folder Deletion'

1. Secure 'File / Folder Deletion' - Similar Threads - Secure 'File Folder

2. how to delete a folder but not the files in a folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to delete a folder but not the files in a folder?: I have a folder full of subfolders which themselves are full of subfolders with images, I want to delete the folders themselves but keep the images. I've been trying to use the search:*kind:picture tool to do it but there are so many images that file explorer keeps crashing...
  3. delete a file in folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    delete a file in folders: how to delete a file in folders https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-a-file-in-folders/430d0465-2059-470a-8aca-0695dcb6b053
  4. delete a file in folders

in Windows 10 Customization
    delete a file in folders: how to delete a file in folders https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-a-file-in-folders/430d0465-2059-470a-8aca-0695dcb6b053
  5. delete a file in folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Deleting files and folders in Documents folder.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting files and folders in Documents folder.: Why I cant delete folders and files in my documents folder also on some folders like videos and pictures. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-files-and-folders-in-documents-folder/65b04852-3916-4099-b1ac-585106682994
  7. Secure File Deletion / Shredding

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Secure File Deletion / Shredding: Understand Windows 10 Users still have no access to a 'Built-in' i.e. Native 'File Shredder' for securely disposing of financial or other sensitive files that might otherwise be recovered by a an IT Savvy Rogue, if a Laptop is lost or stolen.I will not install a 3rd Party...
  8. Folder Security from accidental deletion

Folder Security from accidental deletion: I have a Folder on C Drive under which I have all other folders and files, lets call this folder "Parent Folder". I am worried that someday, myself or someone else may accidentally delete this Parent Folder and I will end up loosing all files. Is there way by which I can...
  9. Deleting Folders/Files

Deleting Folders/Files: I have an unwanted folder that contains an exe file called quandam.exe. The exe file continuously produces more exe files, which are adwawres. When attempting to delete it normally, I get the error message: 'Folder In Use'. When attempting to delete it in command prompt, the...
  10. Folders and files that will not delete

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders and files that will not delete: I recently deleted some mp3 files and folders, then when I emptied the Recycle Bin I inadvertently answered "no" to the "are you sure you want to delete these files" question. Now they are sitting on my recent files / frequent folders page and will not delete again. When you...