Windows 10: Secure remote desktop options for control of Win 10 PC from a Win 7 PC

Discus and support Secure remote desktop options for control of Win 10 PC from a Win 7 PC in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I used to use TeamViewer for remote desktop access of my PC but I stopped when there was controversy regarding a hack. Does anyone know whether this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by THX1138, Jan 29, 2018.

1. THX1138 Win User

Secure remote desktop options for control of Win 10 PC from a Win 7 PC

I used to use TeamViewer for remote desktop access of my PC but I stopped when there was controversy regarding a hack. Does anyone know whether this was actually just a case of people using the same username and password elsewhere? Otherwise, what would be a more secure solution?

:)

THX1138, Jan 29, 2018
  2. chrismuk Win User

Windows 10 Remote Desktop to Windows 7 Ultimate, Aero not working

My setup consists of a laptop and desktop PC, Originally Laptop was running Windows 7 Pro, desktop Windows 7 Ultimate. I use the latop as the primary machine and remote desktop to the desktop PC. This worked fine and I had the full AERO glass experience
    of the win 7 ultimate machine via remote dektop.

I have recently clean installed windows 10 1709 on the laptop but now do not get the Aero Glass features when I remote desktop to the Win 7 ultmate machine, whatevever I try I cannot get it to work, I've tried another win 10 machine and have the same issue.

Is there a way of getting RDP to work with the full aero glass experience from Windows 10 to a Windows 7 ultimate PC?

Moved from: (Windows / Windows 10 / Ease of access)

chrismuk, Jan 29, 2018
  3. Tireman9 Win User
    Win 10 Remote Access basics

I want to be able to take remote control of a friend's PC to help her solve some basic problems. She lives 2 hrs away so while visiting would allow quick fix of her PC I would prefer to use Remote access.

I am running WIn 10 pro and she Win 8.1

Been trying to learn Remote Desktop but many of the MS help files don't seem to apply to W-10

For example this help page

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/support#1TC=windows-10

has topic "Connectivity" that mentions Remote access but when I click it I get

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/connectivity

which has nothing about Remote Desktop.

Thought I might try remoting from my desktop to my lap top but to do so I need to know the PC name and Domain name.

I can't seem to find instructions to find Domain name under Win 10 and the Win 7 instructions say to click on "COMPUTER" but that is not displayed under W10

Tireman9, Jan 29, 2018
  4. lx07 Win User

I never heard of this TeamViewer problem. I'll tell you though I always connect to clients using either Cisco VPN or WebEx (this is also owned by Cisco)

Nobody (in my business anyway which is banking) uses TeamViewer - probably because it is free - I don't know if it is less secure than WebEx but out of probably 50 clients I have no-one at all who uses it.

The problem with WebEx is you have to pay quite a lot - for me it is about 20 per month but it can cost a lot more if you want to start having meetings rather than just remote access.

Within any local network then everyone just uses Microsoft Remote Desktop which is (obviously) free. I also use remote desktop to connect to my home PC so I can do inventory management (for a game called DOS2) on my Android phone while I'm on the bus to work. Honestly, if you are on the same network then RDC is the best.

What is your problem with TeamViewer anyway? Who are you trying to connect to - your other home PC's? Your friends or family? Your work? These questions might enable us to suggest some better solution but I'd go for RDC or VPN (in that order) depending solely on what access the other person allowed me to their network.

5. THX1138 Win User
    I recently started mining some new cryptocurrencies with my home PC but one of the programs is still under development and crashes every so often so I'd like to be able to check it occasionally from my laptop.

THX1138, Jan 29, 2018
  6. lx07 Win User
    What is it running? Windows or Linux?

I'd use Kitty to connect to Linux (by ssh) or Remote Desktop if it is Windows.

Remote Desktop is much more efficient than Teamviewer (or WebEx) due to compression. It is definitely secure (as are the others probably but I am not an expert in such things - I just do what I'm told).

7. THX1138 Win User
    My home machine is running Windows but I want to access it from a laptop via the Internet. Did you say Microsoft Remote Desktop only works between computers on the same local network?

THX1138, Jan 30, 2018
  8. lx07 Win User

No - it will work by default on a local network.

If you want to access it from the internet you need to change your router to forward remote desktop connections from anywhere. The default port is 3389 so you need to send incoming connections on that port somewhere.

There is a good tutorial explaining how to do that here - have a look at section 8 : RDC - Connect Remotely to your Windows 10 PC Network Sharing Tutorials

I (occasionally) connect using RDC on my android phone to my home PCs and it works fine.

9. THX1138 Win User
    Okay, that's great; thanks!

THX1138, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Secure remote desktop options for control of Win 10 PC from a Win 7 PC - Similar Threads - Secure remote desktop

2. Move from Win 7 to Win 10, installation on older PC.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move from Win 7 to Win 10, installation on older PC.: Hello, it is good idea now move from Win 7 to Win 10? I have heard that Win 10 21H2 will be last build before Win 11, so make sense wait until it come? I dont want reinstall my OS every 6 months, that is why i stuck on Win 7. There is no hurry for me leave Win 7, i only move...
  3. Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 on a newly built pc?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 on a newly built pc?: Hi guys, I just built a new pc and I want to know if its possible to use the win 7 license that I have from my old pc to activate windows 10 on my new pc. Anyone knows how I could do this, or if its even possible? Thanks. submitted by /u/pengis_m [link] [comments]...
  4. upgrade win 7 pc to win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade win 7 pc to win 10: hey.this is my desctop pc for my work place.i want to upgrade win 7 to win 10.i use import software about my work place.if i upgrade with windows update assistant my software maybe removed/?//?...
  5. remote desktop win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    remote desktop win 10: hi i have a client that used to login but changed his ip address to a dns, now it keeps asking for the password where would i find or edit this password please???? thank you...
  6. desktop PC Win 10.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    desktop PC Win 10.: I want to transfer a lot of files off my Win 10 - desktop PC onto my external drive for permanent storage. How do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-pc-win-10/3b304e5c-8809-4bae-8ca8-755c4884934c"
  7. No access to Win 10 folders from networked Win 7 PC or Win 7 Laptop

No access to Win 10 folders from networked Win 7 PC or Win 7 Laptop: About 4 weeks ago I found I could no longer access any Win 10 folders from my Win 7 PC or Win 7 laptop. I have done the following to try to resolve this. 1) On Win 7 machines. deleted mapped drives and tried to re-map them – Failed, could not even see the Win 10 Laptop when...
  8. PC upgraded from Win 7 to WIn 10, and shuts downs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC upgraded from Win 7 to WIn 10, and shuts downs: I volunteer at a retirement community and help the residents with their computers. One lady has a Toshiba Satellite L675-S7018 laptop which came with Windows 7 several years ago. SHe was having several problems (including two viruses) so I did a clean install of Windows 10...
  9. Win 10 upgrade from Retail Win 7 New PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 upgrade from Retail Win 7 New PC: Hi I currently have Win 10 from the free upgrade from a retail version of Win 7. I have a new (used) PC that already has Win 7 installed by the previous owner. I'd like to install Win 10 on this machine. Do I have to install my retail Win 7 as a clean install (as...
  10. Issue connecting to Win 7 PC from Win 10

Issue connecting to Win 7 PC from Win 10: When on my Win 10 PC and go to Network > Win 7 PC. Instead of connecting and letting me see the shares, it gives me an "\\COMPUTERNAME is not accessible. You might not have permission..." error. On my Win 7 PC I have all the advanced sharing settings turned on. My Win 8...