Windows 10: Security Centre reports Kaspersky and Windows Defender turned off

Discus and support Security Centre reports Kaspersky and Windows Defender turned off in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; For the past few days when I start up my PC, I get an alert after a minute or so saying Kaspersky and Defender are turned off. Kaspersky is running... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by tpriest, Feb 15, 2018.

1. tpriest Win User

Security Centre reports Kaspersky and Windows Defender turned off

For the past few days when I start up my PC, I get an alert after a minute or so saying Kaspersky and Defender are turned off.

Kaspersky is running and reports my computer is protected. Click on the alert and it says Kaspersky is not running and gives no option to start it; and that Defender is snoozed.

Clearly I can turn off messages about virus protection but I shouldn't have to.

I've been using Kaspersky for nearly 2 years but this, as I recall, is a new happening.

Any way of getting things sorted?

System:
    Windows 10 Professional V.1709
    Kaspersky Internet Security 17.0.0.611(j)

:)

tpriest, Feb 15, 2018

2. Defender turned off my Kaspersky

One day I got a notification "Security and Maintenance, both Windows defender and Kaspersky Internet Security is turned off" when I click it, it opens a small window,

Kaspersky Internet Security Off

Windows Defender Snooze

will only let me turn on defender, not Kaspersky...

please help, thanks

(windows 10)

NoahChisholm, Feb 15, 2018
  3. Windows Defender

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and I got a notification to turn on Windows Defender. I didn't know it was turned off. I run Kaspersky Total Security and so it probably turned off Windows Defender when I installed it. Is there any way to turn on Windows
    Defender and still run Kaspersky as a secondary firewall? Or not use it as a firewall at all and just use it as a security tool? I want to turn on Windows Defender because I know not to turn off the firewall that came with the OS, that's a bad idea.

ImanuelFayn, Feb 15, 2018
  4. dencal Win User

In Settings type Control Panel...click on System and Security...security drop down panel will indicate what AV is in use.
    If both Defender and Kasperski are listed it should advise that two AV,s conflict, and give an option to turn one off.

dencal, Feb 15, 2018
  5. tpriest Win User
    In Windows Settings / Update and Security it only has Windows Defender in the list on the left hand side, this reports "The settings for Windows Defender Antivirus aren't available because it is turned off"; then gives the option to Turn on Windows Defender Antivirus.

In old-style Control Panel / Security and Maintenance, under the Security heading, it reports Windows Defender Antivirus and Kaspersky Internet Security are both turned off, and gives a button View Antivirus Applications. This shows the dialogue box I mentioned in the OP which lists the two installed virus protection applications: Kaspersky Internet Security - Off, Windows Defender Antivirus - Snoozed.

Kaspersky reports Your Computer is protected and can be seen in Task Manager to be running and consuming resources.

As Windows - falsely - claims neither is running there's no option to turn one off.

I'm wondering whether it started with this week's Windows updates.

I might try uninstalling and re-installing KIS to see if it makes any difference.

tpriest, Feb 15, 2018
  6. dencal Win User
    In Kaspersky settings there is an option to turn OFF....try that then turn on again....if successful it should automatically disable Defender....if that doesn't work as you state reinstall KIS.

dencal, Feb 15, 2018
  7. torre Win User
    This.

Also, may want to check the Kaspersky Forum.

Kaspersky Lab Forum

torre, Feb 15, 2018
  8. tpriest Win User

Thanks.

I uninstalled and reinstalled KIS and, albeit after only 1 reboot, it seems ok now.

I guess the system was afflicted by TKS*.

I get Kaspersky free as a result of banking with Barclays, as they have now withdrawn it I shall be seeking an alternative in the next couple of months anyway so may be moving away from KIS anyway.

* TKS - twisted knicker syndrome *Smile

tpriest, Feb 15, 2018
  9. dencal Win User
    If you want you could always install Kaspersky free....it uses the same engine as the paid for version.
    I personally use it, backed up by setting Defender to do occasional scans which do not conflict....the best of both worlds.

dencal, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Security Centre reports Kaspersky and Windows Defender turned off - Similar Threads - Security Centre reports

2. Turn on Windows Security Centre service is turned off

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Turn on Windows Security Centre service is turned off: hi, Windows Security Centre service is turned off and I cannot turned it on, the service window configuration is greyed out [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/turn-on-windows-security-centre-service-is-turned/7b588f2d-8cab-48a5-a4b8-b1ba84e43205
  3. Windows Defender/Security and Kaspersky

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Defender/Security and Kaspersky: If I uninstall Kasperksy will Windows Defender/Security automatically take over? I am asking because I want to install Malwarebytes, but there is a known issue with Kaspersky and Malwarebytes. Thanks....
  4. Windows Defender Security Centre

Windows Defender Security Centre: This is now the 3rd time that I have been unable to update Windows Security!! I get a message saying YOUR VIRUS AND THREAT PROTECCTION IS MANAGED BY YOUR ORGANISATION. Please help as this is becoming really annoying....
  5. Windows Defender Security Centre

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Defender Security Centre: Hi All, I apologise if I have put this question in the wrong place. When I clicked on the Windows Defender Security Centre I saw that there was a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark against DEVICE PERFORMANCE AND HEALTH underneath it says the following...
  6. Windows Defender Security Centre

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Defender Security Centre: Hi All, I apologise if I have put this question in the wrong place. When I clicked on the Windows Defender Security Centre I saw that there was a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark against DEVICE PERFORMANCE AND HEALTH underneath it says the following...
  7. Windows Defender Security Centre

Windows Defender Security Centre: My Windows Defender Security Centre is telling me 'Actions Required', yet when I open up it does not tell me what action is required and everything is up to date and safe?...
  8. Windows Defender Security Centre

Windows Defender Security Centre: Hi, I am using Win 10. Up to recently all was great. Now 2 issues have arisen, see attached which I took this evening. Unfortunately I am not I.T. literate so I don't understand what's going on. Please help. Thank you, Ben...
  9. turn off windows firewall and kaspersky internet security

turn off windows firewall and kaspersky internet security: hi [img] how turn on? i click in view firewall option and click turn on kaspersky but it isnt work 43268
  10. Security centre is turned off notification

Security centre is turned off notification: Today on a couple of occasions shortly after booting my pc I have been alerted by the notification centre sound and pop up that security centre is turned off. However the pop up disappears so fast it's a wonder I even saw it. Looking in the notification centre list after...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 states kaspersky firewall off

2. off windows kaspersky 10

3. windows security notice says kaspersky firewall and anti virus is turned off/it is on

4. windows security reports kaspersky turned off although it is on,
  5. windows defender reports kaspersky firewall off 2018