Windows 10: Security Concerns of Consumer Routers / Some Commercial Routers

Discus and support Security Concerns of Consumer Routers / Some Commercial Routers in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I am an IT guy, so security is constantly on my mind -- I would like feed back as well some input and opinions into this injustice done by major... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Dadicator, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Dadicator Win User

Security Concerns of Consumer Routers / Some Commercial Routers

I am an IT guy, so security is constantly on my mind -- I would like feed back as well some input and opinions into this injustice done by major manufacturers. This is the fact that major manufacturers of Consumer Routers (Mostly) are building in "Default" back doors to these devices that are not documented in their manuals. The fact that they (Companies) have built in users like "User", "Admin", "Mso", "Moxi", and "Root" Not only do they have built in [users] but they also have multiple inputs to those [users] ie. "User" / administrator "User" / Michael. Most of us are aware that the "User" is there and can be changed as well as [user] ie. "Admin" / admin "Admin" / Password ==> But I recently found a vendor with the hidden user named "Root" with default "password" and also the user "Moxi" (which is a multimedia acronym) with the default password "Blank". These type of back that are not documented and pose a threat to our home routers via government or hackers and I personally think that they should stop. I did not list the names of the five most popular brands on purpose. I don't think this forum would like it much, so I left the names out. ALL are guilty of creating this type of back door with users. I learned of this when my ISP called and said I downloaded some type of illegal music. Which turned out to be someone using the back door "Root" and used my wireless router to accomplish it. - GOTO Starbucks -

I conclusion: Back Doors may be fine but undocumented ones pose a security risk, when you don't know they are there.

:)

Dadicator, Jan 8, 2016
  2. Teddy2016 Win User

unable to connect o Home WIFI but can others

Hi!

Was router restarted? Being that W10 sees the routers wireless connection some settings are not correct. I had 1 digit off in password once. The router is the DHCP server W10 the client. The router is refusing the connection. Is the W10 security WPA2?

Teddy2016, Jan 8, 2016
  3. kemmix Win User
    Streaming radio through Realplayer - can't connect N80

I had the same problem with my Nokia E75. I couldn't stream YouTube videos, but surfing the web otherwise was tip-top.

I tried the DMZ suggestions that were thrown around here and it worked perfectly. Here's what worked for me:

1. Enabled DMZ in my router

2. Added my phone's IP to the DMZ (NOTE: Add the IP your phone has to your router, not the IP while browsing - i.e. don't put the IP some of these commercial sites tell you when you check your IP, instead, add the IP that the router recognizes as your phone.
    This should be somewhere in your router LOG or STATISTICS.

Some notes: Router Firewall is disabled for me (when turned on, it wouldn't work btw).

Props to all for your contributions!

Cheers

kemmix, Jan 8, 2016
Thema:

Security Concerns of Consumer Routers / Some Commercial Routers

1. Security Concerns of Consumer Routers / Some Commercial Routers - Similar Threads - Security Concerns Consumer

2. No internet, Secured switched ISP and router

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No internet, Secured switched ISP and router: I recently switched ISP from RCN to Xfinity. They swapped out the router as well. Before the switch, i was able to connect to wifi with no issues on my pc. However, once i switched I am able to access wifi on every device except my pc. I am using OS: Windows 10 64bit...
  3. Cable Modem/router + Personal router

Cable Modem/router + Personal router: My cable company provides a box that is a modem & router. I also use my own router attached to the cable modem. I have done nothing to the cable box except attach a cable from my router to it. Do I need to "Bridge" the cable router or can I use the WiFi from it along with the...
  4. Securing WIFI router

Securing WIFI router: My wifi router is not secure from others using. How do I secure my WIFI router? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/securing-wifi-router/5b669316-84a4-40c5-bcc6-804a63619872
  5. WiFi/Router Security

WiFi/Router Security: Hello everybody! I have a concern that someone is accessing my wifi without my permission. I haven't given anyone my password and I keep seeing a hotspot connection that is linked to my wifi. This troubles me because I have checked all my wifi capable devices and none of them...
  6. Routers

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Routers: I am a router hijacking victim. These idiots have managed to gain access to my iPhone also(and screwed it up plenty, too!) What to do??? Please help me sooner over later . . . . . . Virus and Malware/Other/Scanning, Detecting, and Removing threats/Other/Unknown...
  7. Router

Router: Hi guys, When I try to connect to my WiFi, it asks for a network security key. (This is Windows 10, by the way) It also says that I can connect by pushing a button on my router. I'm not exceptionally good with computers and tech, so I'm sorry if this is a stupid...
  8. Router

Router: my average download speed tested through 8 online speed checkers over the last 6 months is 38 Mb/s. Yesterday it droped to 1.2 Mb/s. I rebooted the router and it went up to 40Mb/s. The same has happened today. What is the problem and can anyone help please 93698
  9. Routers

Routers: Hello I hope the link I am providing works. I set up my router by bridging the Comcast gateway then enabling WPA2, AES, N etc. and installing a password to enter the router and a key to protect it. I keep the SSID broadcasting. I know there are a lot of sophisticated options...
  10. Enterprise VS Consumer Grade Routers, Need a router?

Enterprise VS Consumer Grade Routers, Need a router?: So in the past I've gone through a few routers. Not quickly, all have spent a few years before crapping out. I've experienced one crap itself when we connected up 8+ computers for LAN gaming. Not sure if they're crapping out due to load but I think it might be. I do...