Windows 10: Security Essentials vs. Windows Defender

Discus and support Security Essentials vs. Windows Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have been running Win10 for a couple of years now and have depended on Windows Defender as my anti-virus protection along with Malware Bytes. So far... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JJG10, Apr 1, 2017.

1. JJG10 Win User

Security Essentials vs. Windows Defender

I have been running Win10 for a couple of years now and have depended on Windows Defender as my anti-virus protection along with Malware Bytes. So far no problems. While surfing this morning a came across an articled which implied Defender alone needed the company of Windows Security Essentials to offer adequate protection. That seemed to conflict with what I thought I knew and my practice.

Can straighten me out?

Thank you.

:)

JJG10, Apr 1, 2017

2. Cumulative Update

Not to be a prig but...

Defender came preinstalled in Win7.

The HP-preinstalled Norton (or McAfee) free-trialware (assuming it was Activated) would have disabled Windows Defender by default.

If (a) you chose to install Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) or if (b) MSE was offered & installed as an Optional update [1] via Windows Update, doing so also would have disabled Windows Defender by default.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Related references may include:

[One or more of the above links may be "dead" by now.]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You wouldn't be the first person to think Defender in Win7 was an AV app - especially since it
    is an AV app in Win8 & higher - and you certainly won't be the last.

Over the years, Microsoft has confused hundreds (if not thousands) of millions of users by "rebadging" well-known Windows applications (e.g.,
    Outlook [part of Office] vs. Outlook Express [Win95 thru WinXP] vs.
    Windows Mail [Vista] vs. Windows Live Mail [part of
    Windows Live Essentials which itself was rebadged as Windows Essentials not to be confused with
    Microsoft Security Essentials] vs. Mail
    app [Win8 & higher, AKA Windows Mail again & Outlook Mail]).

I really don't want to know why you "reinstalled 2014 W 8"...

============================================

[1] cf.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2267621/microsoft-security-essentials-is-offered-as-an-optional-update

PA Bear - MS MVP, Apr 1, 2017
  3. Windows 10 - Security Essential installed and Defender turned off - cannot uninstall Essential

My Windows 7 has Security Essential installed. Upgraded yesterday to Windows 10 and keep getting message that Defender is turned OFF.

OK, I found out that no way to turn it ON, all greyed. Guess it must be conflicting with Security Essential. No way to turn off Essential. Tried uninstall it but keep getting funny eroor, "you cannot install Essential in this PC". I am not install, in fact
    I am uninstalling ...

So this" Catch 22'' situation is due to Defender vs Essential fighting inside my PC while there is nothing I can do

1. I cannot turn off Essential

2. I cannot uninstall Essential

3. I cannot trun on Defender as long as Essential is in control

Any idea on how to get out of this situation?

[Moved from Windows]

ilee.in.eattle, Apr 1, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

That was an old article I think.

Windows Security Essentials (an AV) was renamed Windows Defender in Windows 8. You can't install Security Essentials.

There was another earlier MS product also called Windows Defender (which was not a real time AV and ran alongside Security Essentials) which was deprecated in windows 7 (I think).

They change all these names around in circles to keep us on our toes it seems *Wink

Defender is all you need on Windows 10 though - not Security Essentials.

Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7, - Microsoft Community

lx07, Apr 1, 2017
  5. JJG10 Win User
    Super! That is what I thought. 'Tis good to have it confirmed.

Thank you.

JJG10, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Security Essentials vs. Windows Defender - Similar Threads - Security Essentials Defender

2. Microsoft Security Essentials vs. Windows 10 Defender effectiveness ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Security Essentials vs. Windows 10 Defender effectiveness ?: The Norton subscription expired on my Windows 7 HTPC & I installed Microsoft Security Essentials. I noticed the Antivirus & Antispyware definitions were the same version as the latest security intelligence update for Windows 10 Microsoft Defender....
  3. Windows security essentials

Windows security essentials: Hi, tell me how to downloadWindows security essentials for windows 732-Bit version. I downloaded Windows security essentials frommicrosoft . When i open the installer , it shows an error....
  4. Windows Defender vs. Windows Security

Windows Defender vs. Windows Security: I've not often noticed the icon on the taskbar for Windows Defender. Today I found the title for it says Windows Security no Windows Defender. What is the difference between the two? Is one better that the other? Am running W10 ver. 1909 up to date. Thank you. 150810
  5. Windows Defender vs. Windows Security

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Defender vs. Windows Security: I've not often noticed the icon on the taskbar for Windows Defender. Today I found the title for it says Windows Security no Windows Defender. What is the difference between the two? Is one better that the other? Am running W10 ver. 1909 up to date. Thank you. 150810
  6. NORTON Security vs Windows Defender

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    NORTON Security vs Windows Defender: I am a Windows 10 OS user. Quite happy with it's performance. However, since the very recent update 1903, I am facing slowing down of my system. I am not an IT expert but a learned user. I am being advised to remove the Norton Security system, which is a licensed version...
  7. Windows security Essentials

Windows security Essentials: I am trying to figure out which file to download/ Version: 4.10.0209.0 File Name: ENUS\amd64\MSEInstall.exe ENUS\x86\MSEInstall.exe Date Published: 11/29/2016 File Size: 14.4 MB 11.7...
  8. Windows Security Essentials and Defender keep turning off

Windows Security Essentials and Defender keep turning off: Windows Security Essentials and Defender keep turning off. When I try a Quick scan it always stops with the message: "Your PC couldn't be scanned. This program's service has stopped" The Support info gives: "Error code: 0x800106ba" This only started happening today....
  9. Vipre Advanced Security vs Windows Defender

Vipre Advanced Security vs Windows Defender: Can I have Vipre Advanced Security and Windows Defender run ok https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/vipre-advanced-security-vs-windows-defender/85878114-7330-40d1-8dc4-0199e0f2f2e5
  10. Windows Defender vs. Kaspersky Internet Security

Windows Defender vs. Kaspersky Internet Security: I've got Kaspersky KIS 2016 installed on Win10 and have turned (or tried to turn) Windows Defender off via Group Policy. It even says it's bee turned off. But Speccy v1.28.709 says: Windows Defender Windows Defender Enabled Firewall Firewall Enabled Display Name...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. security essentials vs defender in windows 10

2. microsoft security essentials 14.4 11.7

3. installing windows security essentials along with windows defender

4. security essentials vs windows defender,
  5. microsoft security essentials do i chose 11.7 or 14.4,
  6. norton security essential 2019 and windows defender,
  7. windows defender vs security essentials win 7,
  8. security essentials vs defender