Windows 10: Security needs

Discus and support Security needs in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Had a quick look but cannot find anything close to what I want to know and that is right now I only have Windows Defender and the firewall for... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by ICIT2LOL, May 30, 2016.

1. ICIT2LOL Win User

Security needs

Had a quick look but cannot find anything close to what I want to know and that is right now I only have Windows Defender and the firewall for security, and I would feel more comfortable having my usual AV - Kaspersky - on board as I have a few spare licences that I can use too.

So what is the general consensus re add on security after reading a fair bit about the safer environment of 10??

:)

ICIT2LOL, May 30, 2016
  2. gulthida Win User

Need security code

Hi..I have Nokia 6280 it working good for the last 3 years . till 2 months ago, somehow I lost all my contact memory..and I can't save any new contact either in sim card or phone. The messege come up for
    Security code and when I put 12345 <the default code> it still have "error code" come up. Any possible to bring back all my contact in the phone memory??? I have some friend that I only have the contact no. in my phone...

Please help

gulthida, May 30, 2016
  3. farby Win User
    need a security code

As already mentioned in other thread started by you, you do not need a Security code but an Unlocking Code that can be provided ONLY by the Network with which the device is Locked...

farby, May 30, 2016
  4. shmu26 Win User

Security needs

there are two schools of thought:
    1 windows defender + windows firewall + common sense is plenty of protection on windows 10. Simplicity is beautiful. Also do an occasional scan with malwarebytes anti-malware free. And if you want a little extra protection, install malwarebytes anti-exploit free, as well.
    2 you need more protection than that! windows defender comes in last place on every AV test, every time. Kaspersky is great.

So it's kind of up to you, which way you want to go. If you have had problems with infections in the past, or if you have other users on your computer who are not as scrupulous and informed as you, then I would say to install a strong AV like Kaspersky.

By the way, Kaspersky is a powerful tool and it can be tweaked to much higher levels of protection than the out-of-the-box settings, if you are into tweaking. You can read about it on on the Malwaretips forum.

shmu26, May 30, 2016
  5. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Ok then I think I might run with Kaspersky as I have used it on all my machines over the last six years and am reasonably confident on how to set it up etc etc tweaking it as you put it*Wink

I have had no real infections over that time period and the things that have slipped past KIS - MBAM and SAS (especially) and even ADW Cleaner have caught though it has to said that most are PUP's rather than full blown trashing of the machine.
    The only few problems I have had with Kaspersky is that it does not like running with a paid for MBAM and has to be disabled while using ADW but apart from a few bugs at odd times with certain login sites I have ie PayPal I find it very cheap (approx $0.075 per day) to run - that is because I get the key card for 3PC's x 2 year licence for about $69 or $89 depends on when and where the bargains pop up.

Anyway thanks for the feedback because only having a fairly basic AV like Defender on board I wasn't sure of 10 being a new system that I am now starting to use would be enough as I said I read that 10 was safer than 7 anyway.

ICIT2LOL, May 30, 2016
  6. shmu26 Win User
    every AV has its quirks. With Kaspersky, sometimes the problems accessing secure sites can be caused by a double Kaspersky certificate (I discovered I had 4 of them).
    This happens when you reinstall Kaspersky. It does not uninstall the old certificate, it just adds a new one, and that makes trouble.
    check out this thread, from post #11 on. You want to focus on the "Check also in Windows certificate manager" issue.
    is VMware unity mode less safe than regular mode? | MalwareTips.com

Or, you can go into settings/additional settings/network, and disable scanning of HTTPS .
    It's the scanning that breaks the connection, because it inserts a certificate.

shmu26, May 30, 2016
  7. shmu26 Win User
    if Kaspersky is blocking your other security softs from running properly, you can add exceptions for them in Kaspersky.
    settings/additional/exclusions, choose exclude processes, and select the primary exe file for each security soft that is being harrassed by the russian authorities.

My instructions might be a little inexact, I don't have Kaspersky installed right now, I am speaking from memory.

shmu26, May 30, 2016
  8. shmu26 Win User

Security needs

yes, other people have had issues with malwarebytes premium and kaspersky.
    See this thread below, and others like it on the malwarebytes forum.
    It seems the problems are solvable, but it might depend on your specific system. Hopefully with win10, things will go smooth.
    MBAM Scanner with Kaspersky KTS16 Conflict - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Help - Malwarebytes Forums
    FYI Kaspersky does not play well with other security softs, generally speaking. It's the hardest AV to combo with other products

shmu26, May 30, 2016
  9. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Yep I agree there is no such thing as the perfect AV eh? and I think a lot of individuals spend far too much time chasing round looking for one. Plus as you said a while ago there is also no substitute for common sense. In those cases I usually refer this site to those looking for freebies and a good general reference Free Windows Desktop Software Security List | Gizmo's Freeware - it may be of interest to you too.

Yes for the installing I always go further than using an AV removal tool because more often than not they remnants behind don't you find? I go for the jugular and edit out the entire thing/entry from the HKEY's in the registry some bad ones at that are Symantec AVG and MuckAfee I've found in the past.

Now the PayPal thing I eventually found out from Kaspersky in Melbourne was a bug in the 2016 version that had slipped past the techies. But it has happened on other sites usually ones involving monetary things. Which reminds me thanks for the link very handy because I used to have trouble with that during my early years with KIS.

ICIT2LOL, May 30, 2016
  10. shmu26 Win User
    thanks for sharing your experiences. I see you have had plenty of them.

shmu26, May 30, 2016
  11. For the record, there are no known compatibility issues between the current release builds of MBAM and KIS under Win10 or any other platform.*Smile
    But it's important to install the current KIS build (16.0.1.445), not an earlier version.
    (I plan to install KIS & MBAM on my own, new Win10 system that is waiting to be unpacked and set up.)

The thread you report seems to be a one-off situation on a computer with multiple other issues and messed up MBAM settings.*Wink
    Having said that, each computer is unique and there is no way to predict with 100% certainty how a particular software combination will behave on any system.
    If you run into a snag with MBAM, we can assist you, either here or at the Malwarebytes forum.
    If you run into a snag with KIS, we can assist you, either here or at the Kaspersky forum.

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, May 30, 2016
  12. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Yep Moxie "it's important to install the current KIS build (16.0.1.445)," not an earlier version as you say and I always make it a rule to reboot the machine after updating the database to recheck the version is just that plus the current letter (g) at time of typing so it should read 16.0.1.445 (g) when you click on tech support. I usually run the settings while the database is updating*Wink

ICIT2LOL, May 30, 2016
  13. Security needs

...in this case, only because earlier builds were not fully Win10-compatible.

FWIW:

According to the KL global website, the KL forum and my own system running KIS 2016 MR1 (16.0.1.445), the current patch build is (c), not (g).
    Patch (g) is for KIS 2016 MR0 (16.0.0.614), which is NOT the latest release build and has some bugs (Win10 and other) that are fixed in MR1.

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, May 30, 2016
  14. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Ok Moxie I might just check with Melbourne as the version we get out here is not compatible overseas. I found that out when I rebuilt a desktop and installed KISS for my brother in the UK - only to find after shipping to him the Kaspersky would not update or scan or do anything and on further research we found that the Aussie version is somewhat unique to us out here.

Now I am guessing that Kaspersky Labs Melbourne has always been a little behind in keeping up with what is available in say the US or the UK see pic of my support window. I reckon I should expect a few hiccups too if it is indeed buggy.

ICIT2LOL, May 31, 2016
  15. Hi:

Indeed. I stand corrected.
    KL throttles release of new versions in different locales.
    I did not realize that your area is on MR0.

So, MR1 is available at the global site. But, if you click on "Australia" (screen cap 1), that will take you to the local download page.
    And, as you aptly pointed out, the Aussie site offers MR0 (screen cap 2)
    (The installer I see is is only patch (d) -- but if you update after the install, that should get you to patch (f) or patch (g)).

One can always download and install the latest build from the global site.
    But, as you pointed out, the local support folks in your region may not be able to fully "support" the most current build, if you need help with it.

So, it's up to you, whether to go with MR1 from the global site or with MR0 from the Aussie site.

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, May 31, 2016
Thema:

Security needs

1. Security needs - Similar Threads - Security needs

2. Urgent Assistance Needed: Account Compromised Despite Security Measures

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Urgent Assistance Needed: Account Compromised Despite Security Measures: Urgent Assistance Needed: Account Compromised Despite Security Measures Hi Microsoft Community, I am writing to update and seek further assistance on a pressing issue regarding my Microsoft account, which has now escalated despite having taken all recommended security...
  3. Urgent Assistance Needed: Account Compromised Despite Security Measures

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Urgent Assistance Needed: Account Compromised Despite Security Measures: Urgent Assistance Needed: Account Compromised Despite Security Measures Hi Microsoft Community, I am writing to update and seek further assistance on a pressing issue regarding my Microsoft account, which has now escalated despite having taken all recommended security...
  4. Need help with windows security

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with windows security: Hi, guys as the title shows I need help with Windows security it doesn't work for me and I'm worried about viruses.it started after I restarted my PC and chose to not keep any files i have no checkpoint to go back to.I tried everything and made sure everything was enabled...
  5. Need help with windows security

Need help with windows security: Hi, guys as the title shows I need help with Windows security it doesn't work for me and I'm worried about viruses.it started after I restarted my PC and chose to not keep any files i have no checkpoint to go back to.I tried everything and made sure everything was enabled...
  6. I need to know if I had a security breach

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need to know if I had a security breach: My new computer locked up and I was prompted to call a number to get it fixed. I was unable to verify if it was actually a Microsoft representative. I may need help with this, as I am not very computer savvy....
  7. I need to know if I had a security breach

I need to know if I had a security breach: My new computer locked up and I was prompted to call a number to get it fixed. I was unable to verify if it was actually a Microsoft representative. I may need help with this, as I am not very computer savvy....
  8. Need Assistance with 'Open File - Security Warning' Issue on Specific Drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Need Assistance with 'Open File - Security Warning' Issue on Specific Drive: Hi experts, I'm encountering an issue with the "Open File - Security Warning" prompt on a specific drive and would appreciate your assistance in identifying the settings responsible for this behavior. When attempting to open any Excel file on my computer, files located on...
  9. Need Assistance with 'Open File - Security Warning' Issue on Specific Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need Assistance with 'Open File - Security Warning' Issue on Specific Drive: Hi experts, I'm encountering an issue with the "Open File - Security Warning" prompt on a specific drive and would appreciate your assistance in identifying the settings responsible for this behavior. When attempting to open any Excel file on my computer, files located on...
  10. Need Assistance with 'Open File - Security Warning' Issue on Specific Drive