Windows 10: security or privacy breach at Microsoft

Discus and support security or privacy breach at Microsoft in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; The Wells Fargo account fraud scandal is an ongoing controversy brought about by the creation of millions of fraudulent savings and checking accounts... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by H2ONaCl, Feb 18, 2018.

1. H2ONaCl Win User

security or privacy breach at Microsoft

The Wells Fargo account fraud scandal is an ongoing controversy brought about by the creation of millions of fraudulent savings and checking accounts on behalf of Wells Fargo clients without their consent. Various regulatory bodies fined the company a combined $185 million as a result of the illegal activity, the controversy resulted in the resignation of CEO John Stumpf.

Several days before I acquired Windows 10 somebody tried to invite me to connect on Skype with a Skype user name that I was unaware of. I run Skype with an account I've had for years and I did not see the invitation. Today I have acquired Windows 10 and I can see that a new Skype account has been created using the user name from my Microsoft Account. (My Microsoft Account is also years old and happens to use my gmail address as the user name.)

I don't want to have two Skype accounts. Should I close this unauthorized Skype account or should I close my original Skype account? If I close the new one will that cripple Windows 10?

Has my Microsoft Account been hacked and used to create a Skype account or is this the result of Microsoft?

Edit: One responder said this is hard to follow, so I will clarify. The years old original Skype account user name is "first.last". The new unauthorized Skype account user name is "coincidentally" my Microsoft Account user name which is just a unique string and when I created the Microsoft Account I used my gmail address as the string so it is "first.last@gmail.com". I authorized the Microsoft Account years ago. I did not authorize a new, second Skype account connected to Windows 10. It appears that Microsoft or hackers have taken my Microsoft Account user name and applied it to open a new Skype account.

:)

H2ONaCl, Feb 18, 2018

2. security breach

All these kind of pop-ups are fake warnings - scams. Don't call these numbers.

See:
    PSA: Tech Support Scams Pop-Ups on the Rise

Also see
    GreginMich
    's replies here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_other-protect_scanning/system-error/dcccc74e-fb98-43a8-8579-956692a40982

Just use the Task Manager to close your browser:
    How to Use the New Task Manager in Windows 8 or 10

Or try this Edge-method of
    Scott_ki
    which was posted
    here
    :

When this happened to me, I closed Microsoft Edge using the Task Manager.

Then in the search bar next to the Windows 10 logo on the bottom off the screen (I call it the "Cortana Search"), I typed in google.com and hit enter.

Microsoft Edge opened up with a new tab for Google. You can see the offending site still opens in a tab that doesn't have focus. Click the "X" to close Edge. Do not click on the offending site tab or it will get focus again.

When Edge closes nicely, I won't "Restore" the sessions and the offending site tab will be gone.

After a reboot the pop-up should be gone.

If not, please follow the steps provided here: Remove Tech Support Scam pop-up (Call For Support Scam)

Cheers,

J

Jsssssssss, Feb 18, 2018
  3. security breach

A message claiming suspicious activity was detected popped up on my daughter's computer. I suspect that it is a scam. How do I get it off? A voice over continuously reads out the message and I can't get it to stop, nor can I get the error message to
    go away.

lizziebeth95, Feb 18, 2018
  4. mrgeek Win User

I find this hard to follow. Are you saying there are two Skype accounts with the same or different gmail address now ? You can visit the Skype page for each gmail to see if the profile info matches and get a clue as to how the new account was created. That is the one I would delete since your Win10 signs in with your orig account.

mrgeek, Feb 18, 2018
  5. H2ONaCl Win User
    Edits were made to the original post to clarify.

H2ONaCl, Feb 18, 2018
  6. Edwin New Member
    I believe, if you sign in to your PC with an MS account, the Store Skype App will sign you in with your MS account by default. You can always sign out then use an other Skype account.

Edwin, Feb 18, 2018
  7. mrgeek Win User
    "years old original Skype account user name is "first.last". The new unauthorized Skype account user name is "coincidentally" my Microsoft Account user name which is just a unique string and when I created the Microsoft Account I used my gmail address as the string so it is "first.last@gmail.com"

If both account sign-ins are the same gmail.com address, there's no issue. By 'User name', are you referring to the name next to your avatar or the sign-in name? The other issue is which version of Skype you are using, the new Store app or the 'classic' Desktop. Here's a screenshot of what my upper L corner looks like in both versions. The L grab is from Desktop, the R from modern Skype app (no name next to avatar but click avatar, you see User name and email). They have the same sign-in email and the same User name next to my avatar if I Skype somebody. Post yours to clarify further.

security or privacy breach at Microsoft [​IMG]

mrgeek, Feb 18, 2018
  8. H2ONaCl Win User

When I say "user name" I mean the login name or sign in name.

H2ONaCl, Feb 18, 2018
  9. mrgeek Win User
    Each Skype account has an email address associated with it, PERIOD. Even if you use your Skype alias to sign-in instead, it still has an email account tied to it. Sign out and then sign in with just email. If it's the same for both, there is no issue.

Again, which version of Skype are you using ? Skype was trying to un-bundle accounts a while back. I had a Facebook sign-in which I had to consolidate with my MS email so now I only have one. But the Facebook log-in had the same avatar, personal info, etc. I was using both to keep track of which version I was using.

mrgeek, Feb 18, 2018
  10. Edwin New Member
    The following is me having a conversation with myself using my LiveID that MS assigns to the Skype Store App automatically and the Desktop Skype with my Skype ID from years ago...

Edwin, Feb 18, 2018
  11. H2ONaCl Win User
    Windows 10 has Skype version 11.18.596.0. It doesn't matter which version of Skype I am using. This is a dual account problem; not a version of Skype problem.

Yes, the contact details has my email address (and it is the same in both accounts) but this is not about email addresses because that is merely contact details. This is about dual login names. The fact that one of the login names is an email address has nothing to do with the question. A login name is just a unique string. The fact that the string is an email address is not an issue.

The issue is that an unauthorized account was created and I want to know the implications of closing the account that is tied to Windows 10.

H2ONaCl, Feb 18, 2018
  12. mrgeek Win User
    I do the same when I have people in separate rooms wanting in on the same session. I have a session open on both versions. *Cool

mrgeek, Feb 18, 2018
  13. Edwin New Member

Ever since MS bought out Skype, they automatically tie your MS Account to Skype; you either use one or the other.
    ...or, delete the one or the other.

Edwin, Feb 18, 2018
  14. mrgeek Win User
    "I want to know the implications of closing the account that is tied to Windows 10."

I would imagine that when you log-in to your device, the Skype Store app that you're using will require a sign-in every time. When you open it now, it knows from the Win10 log-in that the gmail acct is tied to Skype and it's ready to use when you open it.
    If the issue is having two user names, open the Skype with the unwanted user name, click the avatar then 'Manage account' or just go to login.skype.com and edit the profile of the unwanted name to match what you want ? It's obvious you only have one account tied to your gmail.

mrgeek, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. security or privacy breach at Microsoft - Similar Threads - security privacy breach

2. Phone Link Security breach.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Phone Link Security breach.: This is critical.I have turned off the app running in background but it still runs when the screen is closed down.If I disconnect from settings, the Phone Link App on my PC will simply reconnect.This is a massive security breach, as it means a hacker into my PC has automatic...
  3. Security Breach and privacy act violation?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Security Breach and privacy act violation?: Hello, over half a decade now I have been involved in a human traffic situation involving authorities. These authorities are not meant to serve the public but in fact harm the public. Equipment they utilize is beyond legal, some may seem science fiction; which I don't plan on...
  4. Microsoft account security breach and home PC

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft account security breach and home PC: Hi. Recently my gmail account was hacked (no 2FA enabled, big mistake). This gmail account was also used to create my Microsoft Account. I still have access to my Microsoft account,but I cannot change the password or completely delete it because it sends a confirmation...
  5. Security breach

in Windows 10 Customization
    Security breach: I received a phone call telling me that my computer has been hacked by several people in China and that they are stealing my sensitive information. All that I would need to do to fix it and protect myself, is go to some website so he could access my computer. I hung up on...
  6. Fake Security Breach Phonecalls

Fake Security Breach Phonecalls: I keep getting these phone calls from people with Indian accents claiming to be Micrsoft Security technicians calling to clear up a breach in my computer's security. I just got a call at 4:49 pm 2.4.19 from 1-800-892-5234. They keep calling from different numbers. I know...
  7. Security Breach

Security Breach: These people have access to my Microsoft. I believe they changed the password. They have my password. I need assistance with changing my password. It will not give me access to change for thirty 30 days. As you can see they will have access to my information if I don't...
  8. Security Breach?

Security Breach?: I got a 'critical network' message and was provided a phone number to call into. Is this legit? I worked with someone for an hour and then things took a weird turn, have i been compromised?? Why can't I get a phone number to speak to someone live??...
  9. MIcrosoft Breach

MIcrosoft Breach: Got a phone call on July 23, 2018 regarding a Microsoft Breach and wanting me to call them back. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/microsoft-breach/ca978d47-2ca8-442b-807a-37418ea9b1f5"
  10. Security Breach in Microsoft OneDrive: Please help!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Security Breach in Microsoft OneDrive: Please help!: Hey guys, I'm running Windows 10 Pro and I've been wanting to remove Microsoft OneDrive from my PC because I'm constantly asked to "sign into" OneDrive at the bottom right hand of my screen. I read online that I can remove the OneDrive app by installing OneDrive from the...