Windows 10: Security permissions

Discus and support Security permissions in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I couldn't figure out if this post fit better in this area or the area that seemed to deal more with firewalls and AV software, my luck, neither, so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by brucemc777, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Security permissions

I couldn't figure out if this post fit better in this area or the area that seemed to deal more with firewalls and AV software, my luck, neither, so I will trust to the discretion of the moderators...

I synched some directories between two computers. Now I have a directory on this computer and all the files in that directory say I don't have permission to view them. When I open up their "properties:Security:Group or User Name" I have to add my identity to each one individually, and there are many...

Is there an automated way to bail me out of this mess? (Probably like I must have gotten myself into it?)

Thank-you VERY much!

:)

brucemc777, Jan 12, 2016

2. Permissions and security

Thw share button is greyed out. triwd to change ownership so to grant permission. Get Error "Recycle bin corrupted" Help wpould be appreciated. Thanks

SamiHalaby, Jan 12, 2016
  3. Permissions and security

Hi Sami,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?
    • Did you make any changes in prior to this issue?
    This issue may arise when some of the Windows components or applications gets corrupted.

I suggest you to perform SFC scan and check if it helps.

System File Checker (SFC) is a utility in Microsoft Windows that allows users to scan for and restore corruptions in Windows system files. Perform System File Check (SFC), and then check if this fixes the issue.

1. Press the Windows button + X on your keyboard, a mini dialogue box will appear.

2. Choose Command Prompt (Admin). You must run the command prompt in Administrator level.

3. On the command prompt type sfc /scannow and hit enter.

4. If everything went okay and no errors were found, restart your computer and see if the issue re-occurs.

If the issue still persists, I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue persists in the new account.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

Hope the information helps. Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Jan 12, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Security permissions

Not really understanding what exactly that you want to fix. Is it folder permissions, or something with third party software that is the cause? Permissions you change in the Properties for that folder.

bro67, Jan 12, 2016
  5. I would like to add a specific username with Full Control permissions to every single file in certain directories where I caused the problem. Not exactly certain how I caused it - either copying some files that were specifically configured for my user account on a different computer or by the mis-use of the Take Ownership script, but somehow I have found that a number of document-type files (.pdf, .docx, .xls, .xlsm, ..., and some other related files) refuse to open. When I add my username on this computer to their security permissions all is fine. Presently I am fixing them one at a time, but if there is a batch method I sure would be happier-

Thank-you!

brucemc777, Jan 12, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    That is way too much trouble. Just leave well enough alone.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Security permissions

1. Security permissions - Similar Threads - Security permissions

2. Cannot use Windows 10 Fax and Scan application - told I don't have "security permissions"...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot use Windows 10 Fax and Scan application - told I don't have "security permissions"...: There is only one user account (myself) for this PC. I am the Administrator for the PC. So technically, I should have full access and control to all settings. However, when I try to access “Tools>Fax Settings” I am denied access with this message: "You do not have...
  3. I plugged my hard drive into another computer, now I have permissions and windows security...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I plugged my hard drive into another computer, now I have permissions and windows security...: Recently my power supply died and I had to replace it. While I was waiting for the replacement, I needed some files off the C:\ drive, so I plugged it into my SATA dock attached to my laptop. The files in question were in Documents, so of course I navigated into my user...
  4. windows security "the permissions on OS (c:) are incorrectly ordered"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows security "the permissions on OS (c:) are incorrectly ordered": when I try to create a new Directory on C:/ I cannot create or modify users on the C:/ [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-security-the-permissions-on-os-c-are/8e068d03-0b59-4a57-a3b8-96e97bd316a6"
  5. Any security risks with granting everyone permissions to create symbolic links?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Any security risks with granting everyone permissions to create symbolic links?: Why is the ability to create symlinks in windows restricted to administrators? And are there any security risks in granting that permissions to all users?...
  6. Security settings and permissions for administrator accounts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Security settings and permissions for administrator accounts: Hi! For the past few weeks, I was having problems in writing files in My Documents or any of its sub-folders. If A and B are two folders under Documents, and I want to move/copy a file from A to B, I was not permitted to do that. I had to first move/copy it to Downloads,...
  7. What is going on with W10 Updates and their effect on Drivers/Security/Permissions?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What is going on with W10 Updates and their effect on Drivers/Security/Permissions?: For the past couple weeks Davinci Resolve doesn't have write Permissions, Adobe Premiere Pro won't work/let me save, Reaper won't let me save. Drivers aren't working on anything new that I install and even when I direct the Device Manager to the exact folder with the plugin...
  8. You do not have permission to view this object’s security properties, even as an...

in Windows 10 News
    You do not have permission to view this object’s security properties, even as an...: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Ideally, an Administrator should have permission to access all files and folders on a system. However, at times, when accessing security settings or attempting to view the properties of a file, Windows administrator users have reported seeing the error –...
  9. why i can't change permissions in security tab of my D drive :

why i can't change permissions in security tab of my D drive :: [ATTACH]when i click edit in the security tab of properties of my D drive i can't change permissions of every user so because of that i can't make any change on this drive , i can't even create a new folder....
  10. How to restore WindowsApps security permissions

How to restore WindowsApps security permissions: Hello, I recently was playing with settings and changed where new content is saved. I changed new apps will save to my D drive and then I wanted to change it back to my C drive. After changing it back to my C drive, I had to mess with the permissions to be able to delete the...