Windows 10: Security phone call from Microsoft

Discus and support Security phone call from Microsoft in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I received a call from supposedly Microsoft saying that someone tried to remotely make changes to Microsoft Security Essentials on my computer. I hung... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by prkour, Aug 7, 2018.

1. prkour Win User

Security phone call from Microsoft

I received a call from supposedly Microsoft saying that someone tried to remotely make changes to Microsoft Security Essentials on my computer. I hung up and didn't respond to the call at all. I'm almost certain it was a scam because I have Windows Defender, not Security Essentials. Should I be worried? Would these scammers have more information than just my phone number or was this just a random scam attempt? Also, does Microsoft even make phone calls about security alerts?

:)

prkour, Aug 7, 2018
  2. malware Win User

Microsoft Security Bulletin for September 2007

Microsoft released yesterday the September Security Bulletin for Windows operating system, as part of its monthly security cycle. This bulletin summary lists one critical and three important updates. For more information, see Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for September 2007.

Source: Microsoft

malware, Aug 7, 2018
  3. curatia Win User
    Microsoft Edge TLS Security

After trying everything (not a lot of steps) listed in the Microsoft Edge support site, I did a wider search and found this very simple youtube video that fixed it immediately:

For those who prefer not to click links the steps are simple:

1. Click in the Cortana search bar next to the Win 10 Start button

2. Type internet options

3. Select internet options (control panel) from the list

4. Click on the advanced tab

5. Scroll down to the security section

6. Make sure the following are all clicked:
    Use SSL 3.0
    Use TLS 1.0
    Use TLS 1.1
    Use TLS 1.2

7. Click apply

8. Refresh the page that was giving the error and it should now connect.

Hope this helps, it was a 30 second fix after hours of pounding my head against the error with the Support site suggestions.

curatia, Aug 7, 2018
  4. meebers Win User

Supported phones for Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview

Your list confirms my phone is eligible, Lumia 521. The windows Insider App fails after ~ 15 seconds, restores data and gives me error 80073cf9. I trouble shot this and went thru all the steps mentioned on several websites including MS without any luck. Short of a hard reset, this is where I am now. Suggestions appreciated.

meebers, Aug 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Security phone call from Microsoft - Similar Threads - Security phone call

2. Phone call by Microsoft

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phone call by Microsoft: Hello,Yesterday I received a phone call from the UK. Didn’t answer and a minute later I received another phone call from a local number.The person, identified as Miller, said that he was a microsoft technician and asked me to write down a special code. That code was the proof...
  3. Phone call from Microsoft

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Phone call from Microsoft: Hi.I received every weeks 2-3 phone calls supposed to be from Microsoft and I dued a payment of $142.95.They sais to call back at this number to cancel my subscription???? I just had free products from Microsoft. Is it a spam, a fraud?? Thank you for the answer....
  4. Microsoft phone call?

Microsoft phone call?: So I got a call from some guy with a thick accent that I could hardly understand today. As near as I could figure he was calling from Microsoft about some sort of security violation and he wanted me to go to some website that would allow him to remotely access my computer....
  5. Phone calls from microsoft

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Phone calls from microsoft: I am getting calls saying they are from microsoft that my ip address has been compromised from other countries. Is this from you. I keep hanging up. They ask me to press 1 to talk to a tech. Person...
  6. phone calls from Microsoft?

phone calls from Microsoft?: Am receiving multiple calls stating "Microsoft is stopping my support service, number to call back is 1-312-667-9490." Surely this is not a legitimate call? Am not answering nor returning call....
  7. Phone call from Microsoft

Phone call from Microsoft: I received a call from Microsoft the phone number displayed on my phone was my landline number. When I answered it there was a recording stating my IP address had been confiscated in several countries and Microsoft needed to change my IP address I needed to press 1 for...
  8. phone call from microsoft

phone call from microsoft: is it possible that microsoft call customers that there is something wrong with their computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/phone-call-from-microsoft/4e173ac8-353b-492b-9436-3fb57fce756c
  9. Phone-call from Microsoft?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Phone-call from Microsoft?: Yesterday I received a phone-call from "Microsoft" about a so-called computer problem. The caller ID was 0011055474272. I disconnected because I assumed it was a scam. I do not believe Microsoft makes personal calls to users or consumers. For this post I chose "Windows...
  10. Phone call from Microsoft

Phone call from Microsoft: Is the phone number 805-472_4693 a valid Microsoft Phone number https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_scanning-windows_other/phone-call-from-microsoft/15316e60-fb24-4523-b26e-74f58c9a0fa5