Windows 10: Security Tab in Folder Properties: SID Shows Instead of User Name

Discus and support Security Tab in Folder Properties: SID Shows Instead of User Name in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Whenever I click the security tab in properties for my personal folders, my user name does not appear, only the security identifier does... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Maidvelia, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Maidvelia Win User

Security Tab in Folder Properties: SID Shows Instead of User Name

Whenever I click the security tab in properties for my personal folders, my user name does not appear, only the security identifier does (S-1-5-XX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXX). Is there a way to fix this without creating a new user account? It is not that big of a deal if I have to make a new account, I was just curious if there was another workaround.

I renamed my user folder by changing the ProfileImagePath in RegEdit and then renaming the folder in the Windows Recovery Environment command prompt (via file explorer, accessed through "Save As..." in notepad.exe). I feel like I messed up here and that security can no longer resolve my username due to it.

EDIT: I also have been having HomeGroup issues, and I feel like not being able to resolve my user name is part of what is causing those issues.

:)

Maidvelia, Aug 21, 2017

2. I have no search box on the task bar, where else would it be?

Right click the Taskbar

Click Cortana

Click Show Cortana icon or Show search box

As for your files...

Right-click on your C Drive, and choose Properties.

Go to Security tab.

Click Advanced, then Change Permissions.

Highlight the user, and click Edit.

Choose This folder, subfolders and files under Applies to:.

Choose Full Control under Basic Permissions.

Hit OK.

If there are other users on the computer, follow the steps below:

Go to C Drive.

Right-click your user name in Users folder, then click Properties.

Go to Security tab.

Click Advanced, then click Continue.

Click Enable Inheritance.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 21, 2017
  3. whan assigning ownership and security settings to files

Right-click the file, Drive or folder, and choose Properties.

Go to Security tab.

Click Advanced, then Change Permissions.

Highlight the user, and click Edit.

Choose This folder, subfolders and files under Applies to:.

Choose Full Control under Basic Permissions.

Hit OK.

If there are other users on the computer, follow the steps below:

Go to C Drive.

Right-click your user name in Users folder, then click Properties.

Go to Security tab.

Click Advanced, then click Continue.

Click Enable Inheritance.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 21, 2017
  4. Spectrum Win User

The SID being shown means the username cannot be resolved. In an Active Directory environment this is normally caused by networking issues (primarily DNS).

I do not have much experience with homegroups but it sounds like there is some issue with communication between the computers in this group. Are all computers working, and can you resolve all of their hostnames? Have you tried rebooting all computers in the homegroup? Leaving/rejoining the homegroup, or creating a new homegroup?

Spectrum, Aug 21, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    It normally when a user is deleted

Samuria, Aug 21, 2017
  6. Maidvelia Win User
    All of the computer names show up under Network. I have also tried leaving, rejoining, creating a new HomeGroup, and resetting HomeGroup via deleting the contents of PeerNetworking.

The user name issue has resolved itself though. I made a new user account (as well as deleted the old one) and the issue I had still persisted, but it only persisted when I signed into my Microsoft account. My formal name would disappear and my email address would take its place, and user entries under the Security tab would only show the SID.

I fixed it by simply switching to a Local Account for awhile (and the Security tab looked just fine during then). I then did a reboot and signed back into my Microsoft account. No more disappearing user names.

Maidvelia, Aug 22, 2017
  7. Maidvelia Win User
    Never mind it just happened again. Looks like I'm sticking to a Local Account.

Maidvelia, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Security Tab in Folder Properties: SID Shows Instead of User Name - Similar Threads - Security Tab Folder

2. User name is not showing in Users folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User name is not showing in Users folder: I've seen this question asked before but the solution does not work for me. Hopefully Dave M sees itMy user name is EricI'm trying to find my AppData folder in the following path;C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator [version number] Settings\en_US\x64\New...
  3. User name is not showing in Users folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User name is not showing in Users folder: I've seen this question asked before but the solution does not work for me. Hopefully Dave M sees itMy user name is EricI'm trying to find my AppData folder in the following path;C:\Users\Eric\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator [version number] Settings\en_US\x64\New...
  4. No security tab in folder properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No security tab in folder properties: Recently I installed a gameHalo Infinity from Microsoft Store but later decided to uninstall it. But I am unable to remove it from my computer. It got installed it in one of my secondary drives. Now I have a folder named Program Files which I am unable to delete. It says I...
  5. No security tab in folder properties

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No security tab in folder properties: Recently I installed a gameHalo Infinity from Microsoft Store but later decided to uninstall it. But I am unable to remove it from my computer. It got installed it in one of my secondary drives. Now I have a folder named Program Files which I am unable to delete. It says I...
  6. No security tab in folder properties

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. no security tab in properties?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    no security tab in properties?: VER: 21H1 19043.1110 There is no security tab in properties and the files and folders are padlocked, so I can't change permissions/ownership? The files are on a USB pendrive, copied from a previous PC (the whole downloads folder infact!). I've tried the: 1) Simply type Win+R...
  8. User name is not showing in Users folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User name is not showing in Users folder: Hi, my name is Manish Kumar recently I reset my pc and made some changes but after this, I realized that my user name "manis" is not showing in the Users folder. > Also, my Appdata folder is showing in the Desktop directory and when I make the hidden tick on the explorer it...
  9. Missing securities tab in properties folder of drive(D)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Missing securities tab in properties folder of drive(D): Hello. I needed to disable read only option on a mounted ISO file. It said I did not have access. To sideline this, I need the securities tab, which is not available for the drive in properties folder. It’s available on everything else, including the C drive. File system is...
  10. No Security Tab In Properties

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No Security Tab In Properties: So I wanted to move music from my computer to a USB drive, but when I got there there was no security tab to change permissions. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks, Stagcraft184...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. sid shows instead of username

2. Windows security tab shows Sid but not display name

3. active directory showing sid instead of name

4. windows 10 user shows SID instead of user name