Windows 10: Security warning when opening internet link shortcuts.

Discus and support Security warning when opening internet link shortcuts. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I installed a browser extension that allows me to save the url of the page I am viewing as a shortcut file on my computer in two clicks. It's very... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by hbenthow, Jan 17, 2017.

1. hbenthow Win User

Security warning when opening internet link shortcuts.

I installed a browser extension that allows me to save the url of the page I am viewing as a shortcut file on my computer in two clicks. It's very handy - or so I thought. Whenever I double-click the resulting shortcut on my computer, I get the following warning:

Security warning when opening internet link shortcuts. [​IMG]

By right-clicking on the file, I am able to check the "Unblock" option (as seen in the photo below), and this solves the problem - but only for that one shortcut file. I have to do it separately for each one. I only have this problem with web shortcuts created using this browser extension, not with ones I manually create myself (even though they have the exact same file extension and seem identical to me when I examine them). It appears that Windows is under the mistaken assumption that these shortcuts were downloaded from another computer (when in actuality, I create them on my computer via a browser extension).

Security warning when opening internet link shortcuts. [​IMG]

Is there any way to fix this problem for all such shortcuts?

:)

hbenthow, Jan 17, 2017
  2. Tryx3 Win User

Windows 10 File Download Settings Warning

Guy, Sandy,

There are several Windows 10 questions on this topic so here are their links so we can all see if there is progress on any of them.

A warning popup when opening any .url file in “Favorites”. Why?
    [this thread contains a workaround]

Bookmarks a Security Warning now?

Windows 10 Links Toolbar...File Download Security Warning

File Download security warning

Internet Shortcut (.url) now (mis)identified as Unknown
    File Type

How to disable alert [Windows 7]

Another workaround reported by a user [I cannot find the correct thread at the moment] is to put a shortcut to IE or Edge

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe", or

{Edge shortcuts are awkward - you have to make a shortcut to
    C:\Windows\explorer.exe shell:::{4234d49b-0245-4df3-B780-3893943456e1} and then open that, look through the list to find
    Microsoft Edge, right-click on it and select Create shortcut and it will make one on your Desktop}

in your SendTo folder

%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

and then to launch all URL shortcuts by right-clicking and selecting IE or Edge.

The problem seems to be the result of a Windows update. We can only await a new update as nothing anyone has tried can be regarded as a solution.

Denis

Tryx3, Jan 17, 2017
  3. Samus42 Win User
    How to create non-desktop shortcuts to files in Windows 10? (Favorites Bar or Start Menu)

Uh-oh. So I put all my file shortcuts on the Start Menu as tiles... but when I click on one, I get the same security warning that I was getting from shortcuts on the Favorites Bar! (Open file - Security Warning / Do you want to open this file?)

Yours doesn't do that? Any idea how I might turn off this warning?

Samus42, Jan 17, 2017
  4. Security warning when opening internet link shortcuts.

TairikuOkami, Jan 20, 2017
  5. hbenthow Win User
    hbenthow, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Security warning when opening internet link shortcuts.

1. Security warning when opening internet link shortcuts. - Similar Threads - Security warning opening

2. Security Warning

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Security Warning: This is our website page: https://www.lordkrishnabuilders.com/project/villas-in-thrissur/Our website page is secure, but When I open with mozilla is it showing security warning. What is the reason?...
  3. Open File - Security Warning ~ how to remove

Open File - Security Warning ~ how to remove: Hi all, If I save a file such as an image to my hard drive, when I open it later from explorer I get the pop-up box for a Security Warning. It's obvious why, just protecting me from bad guys. However, this box requires me to unclick 'Always ask before opening this file'...
  4. Unable To Create Shortcut (internet link) in Explorer

Unable To Create Shortcut (internet link) in Explorer: I've been having issues creating internet URL shortcuts in folders in Windows Explorer lately. This is in an office domain environment, and the folders are stored on a Windows Server 2012 R2 box. My workstation is Win10 1909 Build 18363.592. I routinely create links in...
  5. Shortcuts to Sharepoint produce security warning

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Shortcuts to Sharepoint produce security warning: We have recently started using SharePoint for collaboration between offices. I can open the Sharepoint folder from windows explorer and click on one of our spreadsheets and it opens right up. If I put a shortcut on my desktop to a file on the SharePoint I get a security...
  6. Internet shortcut WRONGLY links to print command.

in Browsers and Email
    Internet shortcut WRONGLY links to print command.: In 32bit Win10 Pro v1909, when I drag the lock icon from a browser (Firefox & Chrome) search bar to the desktop, the shortcut created links NOT to the webpage, but to the PRINT command. My concern is NOT with 'How to create an effective Internet Shortcut' because I already...
  7. Security warnings

in Windows 10 Support
    Security warnings: Since the 1809 update, every time I want to open a photo, which have been on my PC for ages, I get the Open file - security warning, and I have to keep clicking the OK box before I can see photo. How do I stop this box coming up? Thank you 123830
  8. Internet Security Warning popup in WLM 2012

in Browsers and Email
    Internet Security Warning popup in WLM 2012: Anyone have a fix for the Internet Security Warning Popup in WLM 2012. Security certificate cannot be verified is the short version of this popup. If you say yes you can continue, if no you end up with a wlm error 0x800CCC1A. Cannot find a fix. 76393
  9. Security warning

in Browsers and Email
    Security warning: Each time I want to search in Google,I am getting this security message(see screen shot). This has only started happening recently,can it be disabled and how? Regards. [img] 74513
  10. Internet shortcut on desktop and security

in Windows 10 Support
    Internet shortcut on desktop and security: [img] I am logged in as Admin. I have "Internet Shortcut" on the desktop. I also have "Details Pane" on. I try to change the description. But system asks for a permission form an local admin which also exists on the same machine? [img] yes, I have tried fiddling with...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. security warning to web shortcuts