Windows 10: Enable Always Prompt for Password upon Remote Desktop Connection

Discus and support Enable Always Prompt for Password upon Remote Desktop Connection in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Enable Always Prompt for Password upon Remote Desktop Connection Enable or Disable Always Prompt for Password upon Remote Desktop Connection... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Enable Always Prompt for Password upon Remote Desktop Connection

How to: Enable Always Prompt for Password upon Remote Desktop Connection

Enable or Disable Always Prompt for Password upon Remote Desktop Connection to Windows PC

You can use the Remote Desktop Connection (mstsc.exe) or connect to and control your Windows PC from a remote device. When you allow remote desktop connections to your PC, you can use another device to connect to your PC and have access to all of your apps, files, and network resources as if you were sitting at your desk.

By default, when a client computer makes a Remote Desktop connection to your computer (host), they are able to save their credentials to then be able to automatically connect to your computer. This can pose a security risk to your computer.

This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable on your PC (host) to always prompt the client for a password upon a Remote Desktop connection to your Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10 PC.

You must be signed in as an administrator to enable or disable always prompt for password upon connection.

*Warning You must enable Remote Desktop on a PC to allow remote connections to the PC.

The Remote Desktop client does not support connecting to the Windows editions below. See: Supported PCs
    • Windows 7 Starter
    • Windows 7 Home
    • Windows 8 Home
    • Windows 8.1 Home
    • Windows 10 Home

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Enable or Disable Always Prompt for Password upon Remote Desktop Connection using Group Policy
    • Option Two: To Enable or Disable Always Prompt for Password upon Remote Desktop Connection using a REG file

EXAMPLE: Always prompt client for password upon Remote Desktop connection to this host PC

Enable Always Prompt for Password upon Remote Desktop Connection [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] To Enable or Disable Always Prompt for Password upon Remote Desktop Connection using Group Policy
    1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor.

2. In the left pane of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the location below. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Security

3. In the right pane of Security in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the Always prompt for password upon connection policy to edit it. (see screenshot above)

4. Do step 5 (enable) or step 6 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

5. To Enable Always Prompt for Password upon Remote Desktop Connection
    A) Select (dot) Enabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

6. To Disable Always Prompt for Password upon Remote Desktop Connection
    A) Select (dot) Not Configured or Disabled, click/tap on OK, and go to step 7 below. (see screenshot below)

*note Not Configured is the default setting.

7. When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Enable or Disable Always Prompt for Password upon Remote Desktop Connection

*note The downloadable .reg files below will add and change the DWORD in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services

fPromptForPassword DWORD

0 or <delete> = disable
    1 = enable

1. Do step 2 (enable) or step 3 (disable) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Enable Always Prompt for Password upon Remote Desktop Connection
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Enable_Always_prompt_for_password_upon_RDC_to_this_PC.reg

Download

3. To Disable Always Prompt for Password upon Remote Desktop Connection
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Disable_Always_prompt_for_password_upon_RDC_to_this_PC.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Dec 14, 2017

2. Remote Desktop

Okay guys need some help here before going crazy...
    I am trying to setup a remote desktop connection and see exactly what the logged on user is looking at with out going through Windows Remote Desktop.

Since its local network I don't have any password or want to setup a password.

Any suggestions are appreciated

kikicoco1334, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Mel Tar Win User
    how do I delete a desktop off remote desktop connection?

Hi,

To disable Remote Desktop Connection, please follow the steps below:

• On the Start menu, search for SystemPropertiesRemote.exe
      and hit Enter to open the Remote tab of the
      System Properties options. Type in the password if prompted.
    • Under Remote Desktop, you will see three options:

• Don’t allow remote connections to this computer

• Allow remote connections to this computer

• Allow connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication (recommended)
    • Select the desired option, and click on Apply, and then
      OK
      to save the settings.
    Let us know how it goes.

Mel Tar, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Kari Win User

Remote Desktop Connection problems

Have you tried Remote Desktop Connection, to connect from your Windows 10 laptop to your Windows 7 desktop? Try it first, post back and tell how it went.

Some additional help because you mentioned you are a remote newbie *Wink. The windows 7 related tutorials from our sister site the Seven Forums:

1. On Windows 7 desktop, set network location to either Home or Work (I recommend Work):
    2. On Windows 7 desktop, allow incoming remote connections:
    3. On Windows 7 desktop, find out its IP address:
    4. On Windows 10 laptop, start the Remote Desktop application and connect to the Windows 7 desktop using the IP address from step 3 above (see Part Three in the tutorial):
    Try the above, post back how it went.

5. Bree Win User
    Failing to set up remote desktop connection.

Welcome to TenForums Slicey

When you enabled RDC on the W7 PC, did you add the W7 user account you intend to use to the list of users allowed remote access to the W7 PC? (required if the user isn't an administrator)

Also, make sure you didn't select 'Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication', that won't work on a home network.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...top-connection

6. zplugger Win User
    Remote Desktop Connection without password

So is it possible not to have password when computer starts,but have a password to do a remote connection.Want the computer to boot to desktop without using a log in password,would not having have a problem if password is needed for remote desktop connection. Not sure if this is possible?

zplugger, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Enable Always Prompt for Password upon Remote Desktop Connection - Similar Threads - Enable Always Prompt

2. No prompt for credentials for Remote Desktop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    No prompt for credentials for Remote Desktop: We have a computer that when ever some one tries to use Remote Desktop it opens a window that lets them know their credentials will be used, but gives no area to input credentials or accept. Simply the option to cancel. I have attached a screenshot. We checked Windows...
  3. enable usb devices on remote desktop connected pc

in Windows 10 Customization
    enable usb devices on remote desktop connected pc: From the comfortable chair and large monitor on the gaming PC in my bedroom, I wish to sequence a bank of synthesizers which are all connected via a number of USB-MIDI adaptors to the ThinkPad in my living room the next room. I can establish a remote desktop connection ok,...
  4. Remote Desktop Connection for local account with no password

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Desktop Connection for local account with no password: I setup all the computers in my house to have the same username and no password - all of them boot up and go directly to the desktop without any need to login. Each one is a Local Account and is Administrator. When I setup remote desktop under User Accounts it specifically...
  5. Connect with Remote Desktop Connection

Connect with Remote Desktop Connection: "CredSSP encryption oracle remediation" error when you try to RDP to a Windows VM in Azure https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4295591/credssp-encryption-oracle-remediation-error-when-to-rdp-to-azure-vm An authentication error has occurred. The function requested is...
  6. Remote Desktop Connection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Remote Desktop Connection: When I try to connect to a remote server, the RDC doesn't display the existing session. Instead it opens a new session. How do I make it to display the sessions that already exist on the server?...
  7. Enable Remote Desktop using Command Prompt or PowerShell

in Windows 10 News
    Enable Remote Desktop using Command Prompt or PowerShell: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you want to use the Remote Desktop feature without opening the Windows Settings panel, then you can enable Remote Desktop using Command Prompt or Windows PowerShell. If you have a remote desktop client on your mobile or another computer, [...] This post...
  8. Remote Desktop Connection

Remote Desktop Connection: If remote computer has user password all works well,but if no user password can't log on. In windows 7 this was not a problem,is there a work around so if two windows10 computers have no user passwords you can connect?. This is on a private home network. Don't want to use...
  9. Remote Desktop Connection

Remote Desktop Connection: Will Microsoft ever give us a option to log onto another home network computer without it having a password? Seems like if on a home network we should be able to do it,just give us a option Please. Remote Desktop Connection works well if password is on the remote...
  10. Remote Desktop Connection without password

Remote Desktop Connection without password: Do you think we will ever be able to do a remote desktop connection when the other computer has no password? Have two computer on same local network,will not let me connect because no password on other computer.I had no problems when the other computer was windows7? Has...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 Always prompt for password upon connection

2. regedit Remote Always prompt for password upon connection