Windows 10: Seeimingly random BSODs with no obvious reason

Discus and support Seeimingly random BSODs with no obvious reason in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a computer that has been experiencing seemingly random BSODs. The first time was when the computer BSOD-ed a couple days ago while watching a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by RBunning, Aug 7, 2016.

1. RBunning Win User

Seeimingly random BSODs with no obvious reason

I have a computer that has been experiencing seemingly random BSODs. The first time was when the computer BSOD-ed a couple days ago while watching a video. It has also BSOD-ed when copying a folder with 3 GB worth of information to the hard disk, running a virus scan, just sitting idle, and when installing office.

Problems I have suspected:
    >I thought it might be a RAM problem, and after pulling out one of the RAM sticks it *seems* to be fixed. I don't like running on 1/2 the RAM and want to make sure this was the problem.

Solutions attempted:
    >I tried removing one of the RAM sticks (seems to fix, although I sometimes encounter other problems)
    >Re-installing Windows with a different Windows image (after re-install, BSOD-ed when I was installing office)
    >Putting a different memory module in place of suspected bad one (couldn't get into Windows, it would restart after windows splash screen)

Each time it BSOD's it seems to have a different reason each time, something like 'EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED' and 'IRQL GT ZERO AT SYSTEM SERVICE', just to name two. Also, the machine rarely restarts after the crash. It restarted on two separate BSODs I observed but mainly when it BSODs I hear the drive turn off but the blue screen stays on and the machine never restarts like it claims it will.

The specs of this machine are:
    Model: Gateway DX4375G
    CPU: AMD A6- 5200 APU
    RAM: (was 8 GB now 4 GB)

I would appreciate if someone could look this over and maybe help me find specifically what might be happening.

:)

RBunning, Aug 7, 2016

2. Common Windows BSODs With No Obvious Solution

We need the dump files for a better analysis of the problem. Instructions can be found here:

BSOD Finding and fixing them

Sumit Dhiman2, Aug 7, 2016
  3. Nick Dich Win User
    Common Windows BSODs With No Obvious Solution

You might want to do a clean boot to your PC to isolate the root cause of the issue. If there are any conflicting software causing this to happen, doing a clean boot is one of the best way to pinpoint the cause. Kindly visit the link provided here for guidance:

How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

Keep us updated.

Nick Dich, Aug 7, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Looks to me like you have already found the problem.

If you remove ram and the problem goes away, replace the removed ram or run without it.

If you want further validation, run memtest86+ as described below:

===================================================
    RAM:

Follow this tutorial: MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

Seeimingly random BSODs with no obvious reason [​IMG]
    Information

MemTest86+
    is a diagnostic tool designed to test Random Access Memory (RAM) for faults. MemTest86+ will verify that:

• RAM will accept and keep random patterns of data sent to it
    • There are no errors when different parts of memory try to interact
    • There are no conflicts between memory addresses

Memtest86+ runs from bootable media to isolate the RAM from the system, no other components are taken into account during the test.

Warning
    MemTest86+ needs to run for at least 8 passes to be anywhere near conclusive, anything less will not give a complete analysis of the RAM.

If you are asked to run MemTest86+ by a Ten Forums member make sure you run the full 8 passes for conclusive results. If you run less than 8 passes you will be asked to run it again.

Note
    MemTest86+ has been known to discover errors in RAM in later passes than the eighth pass. This is for information only; if you feel there is a definite problem with the RAM and 8 passes have shown no errors feel free to continue for longer.

Running 8 passes of MemTest86+ is a long and drawn out exercise and the more RAM you have the longer it will take. It's recommended to run MemTest86+ just before you go to bed and leave it overnight.

Ztruker, Aug 8, 2016
  5. RBunning Win User
    Thank you. I will check that out later.

RBunning, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Seeimingly random BSODs with no obvious reason - Similar Threads - Seeimingly random BSODs

2. Frequent BSODs with no obvious reason

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Frequent BSODs with no obvious reason: Hi all,I have been trying to figure out what is going wrong with my computer for the past year and I'm honestly at my limit. It seems every day my PC will BSOD at least once. I have been getting a multitude of error messages and I cannot trace the problem to its source so I'm...
  3. Frequent BSODs with no obvious reason

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Frequent BSODs with no obvious reason: Hi all,I have been trying to figure out what is going wrong with my computer for the past year and I'm honestly at my limit. It seems every day my PC will BSOD at least once. I have been getting a multitude of error messages and I cannot trace the problem to its source so I'm...
  4. Frequent BSODs with no obvious reason

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Random BSoD's happening for no reason.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random BSoD's happening for no reason.: Hello!I am experiencing random BSoD's for a while now, and I thought that now is the right time to find a solution to stop them, due to the amount of BSoD's increasing.When I wake the PC from sleep there will be a variety of BSoD's. Such as: KMODE_Exception_Not_Handled,...
  6. Random BSoD's happening for no reason.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random BSoD's happening for no reason.: Hello!I am experiencing random BSoD's for a while now, and I thought that now is the right time to find a solution to stop them, due to the amount of BSoD's increasing.When I wake the PC from sleep there will be a variety of BSoD's. Such as: KMODE_Exception_Not_Handled,...
  7. Disk full for no obvious reason

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk full for no obvious reason: I have my hard drive seperated into two partitions: one for the OS and one for data. The space on the first one is completely full (about 99 out of 100 GB full). However, if I take all the folders and files/programs on the hardware and look at the properties of those and add...
  8. 100% CPU Usage with no obvious reason

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    100% CPU Usage with no obvious reason: As recently as a couple of months back, my PC has been having random fits where, about once a week for ~5 minutes, my CPU usage will jump up to 100% making everything unusable for that time period. While it's at 100% everything crawls to a slow, task manager (temporarily)...
  9. BSOD occuring randomly with no reason

in Windows 10 Customization
    BSOD occuring randomly with no reason: Hello everybody, I recently built a new computer (specs below) and randomly, I got BSOD. For instance, some days I can use the computer for hours without any trouble and another day BSOD will occur like 4 times in an hour. It happens mostly while playing (crash happens on...
  10. BSOD with no obvious trigger

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD with no obvious trigger: I've been getting Blue Screens of Death lately without any apparent trigger. They're always DRIVER_IQRL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL but my PC reboots before I'm able to write down all the BSOD details. I've tried looking through the Event Viewer log, but I have neither the...