Windows 10: Seek usb operated power switch

Discus and support Seek usb operated power switch in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently installed an outboard hard drive in a SATA usb box. Works fine but requires manual switch to power on and off. Is there a usb operated power... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tcebob, Jul 18, 2017.

1. tcebob Win User

Seek usb operated power switch

I recently installed an outboard hard drive in a SATA usb box. Works fine but requires manual switch to power on and off. Is there a usb operated power switch socket that could be activated by a batch command?

:)

tcebob, Jul 18, 2017

2. Limit times keyboard wakes PC from hibernate Win10

Yes I'm certain it's hibernate - it's the keyboard that wakes up the PC not the power button

-> If it's really hibernation then plugging the PC into a power board with a switch, located on your desk, would do the trick, unless your cat is smart enough to operate the switch of the power board.

Unplug keyboard - considered this but it's in the back of the computer behind a desk and unplugging and plugging it back in would be blind and so not an ideal solution.

-> A short USB extension cord would do the trick.

Frederik Long, Jul 18, 2017
  3. Lumia 535 not charging on Powered USB Port when PC is switched off (but Kindle does)

Surely a powered USB port would have sufficient power - it's the same port used when the PC is switched on but mains power is available when the PC is not switched on

OliverCahn, Jul 18, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Jul 18, 2017
  5. tcebob Win User
    Thanks for the info. At that price I'll turn it on manually -- and review available backup programs. I constructed a backup .bat script that works except for that.

Later:

Oops. Backup program won't turn on the drive, either. Looks like backup to a big usb stick.

tcebob, Jul 19, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    The USB Hard Drive should wake from sleep when a program needs to access it.

NavyLCDR, Jul 19, 2017
  7. spunk Win User
    You could just unplug it when you don't want it on.

spunk, Jul 20, 2017
  8. tcebob Win User

Well, yeah -- it has a switch right up front. Thing is, I want to turn it on and off automatically via a batch file which will then back up selected directories.

When it is turned off Windows does not see it and will not turn it on

Hence the usb stick, which can stay on permanently.

tcebob, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Seek usb operated power switch - Similar Threads - Seek usb operated

2. Funky USB Audio operation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Funky USB Audio operation: Hi, I have a problem with my new USB headphoneIs it just me or does anyone else notice USB headphones always have one side louder than the other, in my case the right side is louder than the leftI used the configuration tab in the control panel sound playback menu and both...
  3. Funky USB Audio operation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Funky USB Audio operation: Hi, I have a problem with my new USB headphoneIs it just me or does anyone else notice USB headphones always have one side louder than the other, in my case the right side is louder than the leftI used the configuration tab in the control panel sound playback menu and both...
  4. Power Switch, hibernate problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power Switch, hibernate problem: Microsoft Support 111221 Power Switch, hibernate problem Dear Microsoft Support, I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 for my Netbook, and have some unusual problems with my Power Switch, and hibernate/sleep. I tried going thru shut down and start up several times, and documenting...
  5. Trouble recognizing devices connected to a powered USB hub with switches

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trouble recognizing devices connected to a powered USB hub with switches: I've a Dell XPS-15 with a Sabrent USB hub with individual switches connected to a Schiit Fulla DAC/Amp. My computer doesn't recognize the device and throws an error after waking up from sleep. I have to disconnect the hub and reconnect it to get the DAC to be recognized and...
  6. Seeking Advice Installing Power Toys - 0.27.1-x64

Seeking Advice Installing Power Toys - 0.27.1-x64: Windows 10 Pro - 2004, OS Build: 19041.685 Howdy Folks *Smile I'm interested in trying Microsoft Power Toys and have downloaded <PowerToysSetup-0.27.1-x64.exe> 19,480,952 bytes from GitHub - microsoft/PowerToys: Windows system utilities to maximize productivity which...
  7. Switch usb

Switch usb: Hi, often when I shut down the system it tells me that there is running "usb swicth app" but I can't find it in the system, does anyone know what it is? Thanks 169184
  8. Is it possible to switch off the power supply of the USB socket on the PC?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is it possible to switch off the power supply of the USB socket on the PC?: I want the data exchange to take place without the PC charging my smartphone. Is that possible? Kann man die Stromversorgung der USB-Buchse am PC abschalten?
  9. External usb floppy constantly seeks / chugs

External usb floppy constantly seeks / chugs: I'm running windows 10 on a gigabyte 370n-wifi board with a pentium g5400 gold core; it's a fairly modern bios etc. I bought an external usb floppy drive from ebay. It was one of the new ones designed more for legacy support. I would assume the computer is seeing it basically...
  10. Intermittent USB Operation

Intermittent USB Operation: Hi MS Community, I just got a new Xeon based machine with the nVIDA RTX5000 video card. The system is running Windows 10 Pro ver 1903. The problem is with the USB ports. They keep connecting/disconnecting many times per minute. If I connect an external USB hard drive, I...