Windows 10: Seeking advice, bad performance after updating

Discus and support Seeking advice, bad performance after updating in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; A couple of days ago my system did an automatic update (which I have hopefully found a work around to prevent). Ever since it rebooted from the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by danturismo, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Seeking advice, bad performance after updating

A couple of days ago my system did an automatic update (which I have hopefully found a work around to prevent).

Ever since it rebooted from the update there has been a noticeable drop in performance.

When I boot up it takes longer for the login screen to come in, after selecting my user it takes longer for the PIN prompt to come up, longer to load in. Opening browsers, everything.

Most noticeably was World of Warcraft. I used to just close it then put the computer to sleep, it took a great deal longer after the update.

Is there any way to roll back these updates? Short of perhaps a fresh system re-install.

Or can anyone advise me on a couple tips or settings I could change please?

:)

danturismo, Apr 20, 2017

2. seeking advice

Hi,

This feature is not available as they are not the same device. Every device has its own way of securing things, and setting limitations. For Windows Phone, click
    Get smart about mobile phone safety. For your other devices, please contact their manufacturer.

Regards.

Gerald Mal, Apr 20, 2017
  3. ianlister Win User
    seeking advice

someone has installed a wide array of apps and permissions on my mobile device,PC,and possibly my smart TV, is it possible to take over control of all running apps and functions and be the sole person in control of my devices while keeping the same apps
    installed?

ianlister, Apr 20, 2017
  4. simrick Win User

Seeking advice, bad performance after updating

Hi adanturismo and welcome to Tenforums.
    I would suggest off the top of my head:
    1. Turn off Fast Startup and give it a few reboots.
    Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

2. Open an admin command prompt (or powershell) and run sfc /scannow.
    Run SFC Command in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

3. Remove ASUS AI Suite if you have it installed.

Do you know what update it was that installed? Was it the Creators Update?
    Type winver in the search box and run the command; post the screenshot here.

I'm sure others will chime in with more ideas.

simrick, Apr 20, 2017
  5. Thanks for the quick reply simrick

Here is the screenshot. Unfortunately I don't have time to test the suggestions right now but I will get on it tomorrow morning.

And I'm pretty sure it was the Creators Update.

danturismo, Apr 20, 2017
  6. simrick Win User
    Nope, Creators Update is v1703.
    We can fix this easily - we'll do a repair install with an in-place upgrade and get you on the Creators Update.
    Tomorrow then. Cheers.

simrick, Apr 20, 2017
  7. simrick Win User
    p.s. - please remove the screenshot - your email address is not blacked out and you'll get mountains of spam.

simrick, Apr 20, 2017
  8. Seeking advice, bad performance after updating

Hey simrick!

Sorry I didn't get back to ya yesterday. Busy day that evolved into watching the hockey games. Sadly neither one turned out how I hoped lol.

Normally I am fairly competent when it comes to computers, but this is the first roadblock I have encountered with Win 10. Can you point me in the right direction to get this all fixed up? *Biggrin

danturismo, Apr 21, 2017
  9. simrick Win User
    Hi.
    Did you perform the suggestions in Post #2?

simrick, Apr 21, 2017
  10. simrick Win User
    Do you perform regular backups? If so, are you current? What do you use/how do you do it? I'd prefer to see a Macrium Reflect system image before we proceed - do you have an external hard drive available, and how much free space is on it? Do you have a couple spare flash drives?

simrick, Apr 21, 2017
  11. Suggestions: not yet. I give them a shot.

Regular backups: no.

I have both an external HD available and a secondary hard drive in the laptop that has most of it's 1TB free. And flash drives, yes.

danturismo, Apr 21, 2017
  12. Started off with turning off fast startup

Already seems to be making a considerable difference *Biggrin Going to run some stuff and see how it does.

danturismo, Apr 21, 2017
  13. Seeking advice, bad performance after updating

Well it was running good.

If I do a shut down, the boot is perfectly fine but programs are slow. And Warcraft is still noticeably slow (shutting down the game takes at least a minute as opposed to it being closed by the time I release alt+f4).

I did the second suggestion as well, the sfc.

"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Is it time to start up the repair-install?

danturismo, Apr 22, 2017
  14. simrick Win User
    Nope, not yet. *Smile
    -Did you remove ASUS AI Suite, or is it not on the system?

-Let's check the drive health first.
    Crystal Disk Info
    Download Center - Crystal Dew World
    Grab the Standard Edition, exe installer.
    Install & run the program, see the status of your drives.

Advise results or post a screenshot of that window using snipping tool.

- Assuming the drive is in good health:
    Right-click the start button and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    In the black box that opens, type the following and press enter:
    Code: sfc /scannow[/quote] When finished, we want the result "no integrity violations found". If it's anything other than that, please let me know. Never mind - you did that! *Wink

- Open File Manager>This PC, right-click on your OS drive and select Properties.
    Select Tools, and under Error Checking, select CHECK. This will run CHKDSK on the drive in read-only mode. If problems are found, Windows will need to run the scan with fixes, which will be done at a reboot.

Seeking advice, bad performance after updating [​IMG]

- Download and install Macrium Reflect Free
    Select HOME USE
    Macrium Reflect Free | Macrium Software

Install the program, run it. Make a bootable rescue media (either flash or CD).
    Create an image of your entire hard drive on to your external drive (make sure there is plenty of room. An image will be about 60-70% of actual used space on the drive you're imaging). Be sure to select "VERIFY" in the options when you run the image. See the tutorial here:

Macrium Reflect Free | Macrium Software

Also, add the Macrium Recovery Environment to your system's boot menu:

You can modify the amount of time the boot menu displays here in System Protection:

Any questions, please ask first. Once this is done, we can perform the in-place repair install which will put you to the Creators Update version. *Smile

simrick, Apr 22, 2017
  15. Since I clean installed Creators Update, it has been taking longer, i.e. over a minute, to start Windows too.

Do you mean metered connections?

Matthew Wai, Apr 22, 2017
Thema:

Seeking advice, bad performance after updating

1. Seeking advice, bad performance after updating - Similar Threads - Seeking advice bad

2. Seeking advice on Updating to 21H1 with KB5004945 on my doorstep.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Seeking advice on Updating to 21H1 with KB5004945 on my doorstep.: Windows 10 Pro - Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.1052) Howdy Folks With talk about 21H2 coming soon (and Win-11), I'm ready to move up to 21H1 (from 20H2), but just received July's KB5004945, 2021-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64. Normally I'd wait on a...
  3. Seeking Advice for Deleting a File that Won't Delete

in Windows 10 Support
    Seeking Advice for Deleting a File that Won't Delete: Windows 10 Pro - Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.928) Howdy Folks, I'm looking for the easiest way to delete a file that won't delete. FWIW: this is an instructional video I downloaded for a new software I purchased: PDFelement Video Extension: .mkv (apparently it only plays...
  4. Seeking Advice for DistributedCOM Error 10016

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Seeking Advice for DistributedCOM Error 10016: Windows 10 Pro - Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.867) FWIW: I've avoided KB5001330 based on all the talk online. Howdy Folks, (Please advise if I am posting in the wrong forum.) My monitor just went blank and a quick check of my desktop indicated it was still running. A simple...
  5. Seeking advice running Malwarebytes with Norton 360

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Seeking advice running Malwarebytes with Norton 360: Windows 10 Pro - 2004, OS Build: 19041.746 Howdy All *Smile A couple days ago I had a 'bad actor' try to access my system. Fortunately Norton 360 (and some of my common sense) saved me from a big headache. Studying the history log I was impressed Norton came out on top...
  6. Seeking Advice Skipping 2004, Jumping to 20H2

Seeking Advice Skipping 2004, Jumping to 20H2: Windows 10 Pro - 1909, OS Build: 18363.1139 Howdy Folks *Smile With all the Cumulative Update and 2004 Feature update issues I've been holding at 1909. I'm on "Pause" now and have my Group Policy Windows Update Setting at #3 - "Download and Notify for Install". Additionally,...
  7. Seeking Advice Using WAU Manager (by carifred.com)

Seeking Advice Using WAU Manager (by carifred.com): Windows 10 Pro - 1909, OS Build: 18363.1139 Re: Seeking Advice Using WAU Manager (by carifred.com) Howdy Folks, *Smile 1. The "Hide Selected button" is *turned off*/*doesn't work* and online help doesn't give me any information. What might I be missing? 2. I unexpectedly...
  8. Seeking advice on how to continually measure the performance of windows 10 computers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Seeking advice on how to continually measure the performance of windows 10 computers: I'd like to measure the performance on a continuous basis of hundreds of business computers to identify which computers users are having a positive user experience and which computers are causing users to be inefficient with a poor user experience. I'd like to get each...
  9. Bad performance

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bad performance: The first I'm sorry for my google translate english I have an i7 7700k, 1060 6 GB, 16 GB RAM and normally I usually have a very fluid computer in the games but with the latest updates of Windows 10 it is fatal, I have all the updated drivers and tried to format the computer...
  10. Few probelms after following bad advice

in Windows 10 Support
    Few probelms after following bad advice: I needed more space in C: and found about 50GB in C:\windows\Users'Win7. My system was upgraded from Win 7 and I wondered if this folder was something ex-Win7 I didn't need anymore. I went onto MS Support chat and they said Yes. But it removed most of the files on my Desktop....