Windows 10: Seeking Advice on Taking and Deploying Win 10 Image to 2 Devices

Discus and support Seeking Advice on Taking and Deploying Win 10 Image to 2 Devices in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm tasked with configuring three total Windows 10 workstations for work next week. This is a pretty time-sensitive manner, so I'm planning on doing a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by scjohnson1988, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Seeking Advice on Taking and Deploying Win 10 Image to 2 Devices

I'm tasked with configuring three total Windows 10 workstations for work next week. This is a pretty time-sensitive manner, so I'm planning on doing a full configuration, including applications, configuration of applications, and OS configurations on one device that I'd like to deploy onto two other devices. We do not operate in a Windows environment, so I won't have access to any Windows servers/AD, and I'm likely limited to free tools.

To my knowledge, Windows 10 registrations are no longer bound to a CD key, but are instead tied to a hardware unique identifier. What considerations do I need to account for when attempting this process? I have previous experience and success using Macrium Reflect, but I'm unsure if going using an image is going to cause any activation issues. I believe these PCs are being acquired from a Dell vendor, but I'm not sure if the CD keys are OEM or general Windows 10 keys.

:)

scjohnson1988, Oct 17, 2017
  2. Brad7623 Win User

WDS/MDT and Imaging non ethernet devices

Hey All,

I currently use WDS/MDT for deploying images to all of our machines, but with everything going to no ethernet ports how are you all imaging devices?

We are changing tablets to a non ethernet device and I am looking for the best/fastest way to image machines. My original thoughts were to build my image and store the ISO on a bootable flash drive, but not sure on how long that would take to image..

Currently deploying win 7 64 bit enterprise, looking to move to windows 10 in the coming months.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Mods if this is in the wrong section please move it.

Thanks!

Brad7623, Oct 17, 2017
  3. seeking advice

Hi,

This feature is not available as they are not the same device. Every device has its own way of securing things, and setting limitations. For Windows Phone, click
    Get smart about mobile phone safety. For your other devices, please contact their manufacturer.

Regards.

Gerald Mal, Oct 17, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Seeking Advice on Taking and Deploying Win 10 Image to 2 Devices

As long as you have unique product keys to activate the systems with, you shouldn't have any problems getting one system set up, then copying the image to the other systems. You will just have to change the computer names and change the product key to the unique product key on the new computer. Before you make the image to transfer, I would run the command:
    slmgr /upk

in a command prompt (admin) or Powershell (admin). That will remove the product key so it doesn't get transferred with the image. Maybe even change the computer name to a temporary name too before imaging.

So, my suggested steps would be:
    1. Set up first computer with everything.
    2. Change the computer name to something temporary.
    3. Run slmgr /upk
    4. Make the backup image with Macrium Reflect.
    5. Restore the original computer name and product key on the first computer.
    6. Load image to next computer.
    7. On the activation screen, enter the unique product key for that computer
    8. Change the computer name to it's permanent name.

Macrium Reflect does have a function to deploy to new hardware, but I've never used it, and it might be available only in the paid version.

NavyLCDR, Oct 17, 2017
Thema:

Seeking Advice on Taking and Deploying Win 10 Image to 2 Devices

1. Seeking Advice on Taking and Deploying Win 10 Image to 2 Devices - Similar Threads - Seeking Advice Taking

2. Seek advice on Windows 10 offline activation means

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seek advice on Windows 10 offline activation means: Hi there,Could anyone help me with this: how to activate Windows 10 offline or installed on a computer without internet connection?Thanking in advanceBin...
  3. Seek advice on Windows 10 offline activation means

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Seek advice on Windows 10 offline activation means: Hi there,Could anyone help me with this: how to activate Windows 10 offline or installed on a computer without internet connection?Thanking in advanceBin...
  4. Seek advice on Windows 10 offline activation means

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Seeking Advice for Deleting a File that Won't Delete

in Windows 10 Support
    Seeking Advice for Deleting a File that Won't Delete: Windows 10 Pro - Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.928) Howdy Folks, I'm looking for the easiest way to delete a file that won't delete. FWIW: this is an instructional video I downloaded for a new software I purchased: PDFelement Video Extension: .mkv (apparently it only plays...
  6. Seeking Advice for DistributedCOM Error 10016

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Seeking Advice for DistributedCOM Error 10016: Windows 10 Pro - Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.867) FWIW: I've avoided KB5001330 based on all the talk online. Howdy Folks, (Please advise if I am posting in the wrong forum.) My monitor just went blank and a quick check of my desktop indicated it was still running. A simple...
  7. Seeking advice running Malwarebytes with Norton 360

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Seeking advice running Malwarebytes with Norton 360: Windows 10 Pro - 2004, OS Build: 19041.746 Howdy All *Smile A couple days ago I had a 'bad actor' try to access my system. Fortunately Norton 360 (and some of my common sense) saved me from a big headache. Studying the history log I was impressed Norton came out on top...
  8. Seeking Advice Skipping 2004, Jumping to 20H2

Seeking Advice Skipping 2004, Jumping to 20H2: Windows 10 Pro - 1909, OS Build: 18363.1139 Howdy Folks *Smile With all the Cumulative Update and 2004 Feature update issues I've been holding at 1909. I'm on "Pause" now and have my Group Policy Windows Update Setting at #3 - "Download and Notify for Install". Additionally,...
  9. Seeking Advice Using WAU Manager (by carifred.com)

Seeking Advice Using WAU Manager (by carifred.com): Windows 10 Pro - 1909, OS Build: 18363.1139 Re: Seeking Advice Using WAU Manager (by carifred.com) Howdy Folks, *Smile 1. The "Hide Selected button" is *turned off*/*doesn't work* and online help doesn't give me any information. What might I be missing? 2. I unexpectedly...
  10. Seeking advice, bad performance after updating

Seeking advice, bad performance after updating: A couple of days ago my system did an automatic update (which I have hopefully found a work around to prevent). Ever since it rebooted from the update there has been a noticeable drop in performance. When I boot up it takes longer for the login screen to come in, after...