Windows 10: Seems Edge and IE have a cookie leakage bug

Discus and support Seems Edge and IE have a cookie leakage bug in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hi all, I just tried this page that tests browsers' cookie management and got a cookie leakage bug report. In other terms, third party cookie... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by NovHak, Jun 26, 2016.

1. NovHak Win User

Seems Edge and IE have a cookie leakage bug

Hi all,

I just tried this page that tests browsers' cookie management and got a cookie leakage bug report. In other terms, third party cookie blocking policies can be circumvented on these browsers.

I was considering trying Edge again but it didn't last long...

For those who don't know, third party cookies are a means of tracking people's browsing habits, such as the sites they visit, things they like, buy, etc.

While there are tools that are supposed to specifically block such cookies, they mostly rely on people maintaining an up-to-date list of such cookies. I prefer the more radical way of simply rejecting all third party cookies. However, some websites react badly to this, in which case either per-site or per-cookie exceptions can be created, or for the purists a new private browser session with all cookies authorised can be set up for this site only. Private here meaning that it doesn't share cookies or temporary files with any other session, and everything related to the session is deleted upon termination.

:)

NovHak, Jun 26, 2016

2. windows edge won't let me log in to my website keep's saying rejected cookies

I am having the same issues. Edge will not log in to any web site that has cookies. I receive a error stating your web browser is being rejected as it is not excepting cookies. Even thou in advanced setting I have it set to to do not block cookies. I am
    able to log in using IE 11 but it is running real slow. Firefox and Crome are working great. So it is a IE and Edge issue. Maybe Microsoft is trying to push us off of IE and edge since there seems to be no support on this issue but many complaints. If Microsoft
    is interested they can email me or even call me if they want to look at my system to help try and fix this problem.

Kelly Sietmann *** Email address is removed for privacy *** 8474017364

Goodgolfer, Jun 26, 2016
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Random cookie loss in IE and Edge

Hi David,

There are various reasons why you encountered this issue. It can be due to configuration settings. We suggest that you post this question in our

TechNet Forums
    , so the other users with the same knowledge on your query can provide feedback and suggestions.

Keep us posted if you need more assistance.

Rose Cal, Jun 26, 2016
  4. Mystere Win User

Did you turn off third party cookies in Internet Options? You don't say what you did...

EDIT:

I just tested this, and found the "leakage" you mention for Icon, object, and embed links. First, I take anything from Steve Gibson with a huge grain of salt. He's often wrong about security issues, and experts routinely debunk his claims (or they used to, he doesn't even show up on real security researchers radar anymore).

Secondly, this is almost certainly a misunderstanding of the compatibility functions of IE and Edge. More than likely, he's "testing" in such a way that he's triggering a compatibility function that wouldn't occur in the "real world". If I recall correctly, IE8, other versions had this same compatibility result.

I think it works like this. If you set a third party cookie within the same browser context, then read It from the same context, it will succeed. This is a rather pointless test, because a real attacker would not be doing a write and a read in the same context as that doesn't achieve what they're looking for. You would need to write the cookie, and read it from a totally different context.

The problem is that the way Gibson's site is designed, you can't test that. Reloading the page in a new context causes the cookies to be reissued, thus once again being in the same context.

I think this is a red herring dressed up as "sky is falling" scenario.

Mystere, Jun 26, 2016
  5. NovHak Win User
    Yes I did turn off third party cookies. I get this :
    Seems Edge and IE have a cookie leakage bug [​IMG]
    and this :
    Seems Edge and IE have a cookie leakage bug [​IMG]

I see what you mean about the same context check, however, assuming it's what happens, strictly speaking it doesn't comply with the "No third party cookies" setting.

NovHak, Jun 26, 2016
  6. Mystere Win User
    I'm sure one of the new extensions will help with this if you're that concerned about it.

Most people generally are not, and would prefer compatibility over constantly maintaining their cookie exceptions

Remember, Microsoft needs to maintain compatibility where other browsers do not. They can rely on users to "fall back" to IE (or Edge) if there is a compatibility issue. So it's only IE/Edge's compatibility that allows other browsers to be so bleeding edge.

Mystere, Jun 26, 2016
  7. NovHak Win User
    It's not really a problem if things are like you said. A third party cookie working only in the same browser context, and likely deleted when the session is closed, that seems just fine since it defeats tracking. However, I can't take your word on this since you're just making assumptions after all.

And you're probably right, most people don't care being tracked as long as they don't see the ads !

NovHak, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Seems Edge and IE have a cookie leakage bug - Similar Threads - Seems Edge cookie

2. MS Edge IE Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS Edge IE Mode: Hi, as the support for IE is due to be finished, this will be removed from our machines but this brings in an issue with loading legacy pages within Edge in IE Modei have removed IE from a machine by turning the feature off since then Edge will not load any legacy sites in IE...
  3. Closing EDGE to clear cookies

in Browsers and Email
    Closing EDGE to clear cookies: I'm running W10 and the latest version of Edge. I have gone into 'choose what to clear' in settings and ticked the box for 'cookies and other site data. I have made an exception of a few sites I use. If I close Edge by selecting settings then take the 'close edge' option at...
  4. Cookie Management in Edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cookie Management in Edge: In IE 11 we had the "cookie management" option. I can't find that in Edge. Accept or allow first, second, and third party cookies, etc. I also liked the option to periodically delete all cookies EXCEPT those from web sites in the Favorites folder. Any chance of finding that...
  5. ram leakage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    ram leakage: the longer my computer runs the more ram it uses why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ram-leakage/e80875cf-d1f4-4e3f-832b-fb8d438bf6b2
  6. The IE Backslash bug, KB4491113

in Browsers and Email
    The IE Backslash bug, KB4491113: I've the same problem with last Windows 10 build when installed the lastet update The KB4491113 is intended for WIndows 7 and 8.1 Microsoft updates Patch Tuesday notes with three known issues - MSPoweruser Any tips to solve? 127885
  7. Edge and IE 11

in Browsers and Email
    Edge and IE 11: When I open Edge, it always goes to the last page I was on. I want to set a Home Page and have it open on the Home Page every time. How do I do that? How do I get the IE icon on the Taskbar? 120659
  8. IE not edge

in Browsers and Email
    IE not edge: how do I get internet explorer so I don't need to use edge. every time I get it it goes disappears I am new to windows10 don 't know where anything is very frustraiting 117429
  9. IE not edge

in Windows 10 Support
    IE not edge: how do I get internet explorer so I don't need to use edge. every time I get it it goes disappears I am new to windows10 don 't know where anything is very frustraiting 117429
  10. IE or Edge

in Browsers and Email
    IE or Edge: which is better to use Edge or IE sorry i'm a bit confused are they the same but different or are they just different why did MS keep both 20303

Users found this page by searching for:

1. edge nameless cookie bug