Windows 10: Selective Internet

Discus and support Selective Internet in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 Home on day one, and haven't experienced a single problem. I'd finally decided that, yes, it's good enough... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Trapezium, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Trapezium Win User

Selective Internet

Hi,

I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 Home on day one, and haven't experienced a single problem.

I'd finally decided that, yes, it's good enough to go on the desktop, except it sort of isn't.

It tells me I have internet access. Diagnostics can't find a problem. I've successfully downloaded updates for my GTX 460 through the GeForce Experience software, and also for fully twenty games through Steam.

But if I try to verify my account, it says I'm not connected to the internet. Browsers say the same. The Windows Store. Disabling and re-enabling the adapter lets me browse the internet (Edge, Chrome, Steam) for maybe thirty seconds, then starts throwing not connected and DNS errors at me. But I'm still sending and receiving packets through Steam, so it is connected without a shadow of a doubt.

I'm actually a relatively accomplished techie--I used to solve problems like this twenty times a day--but I'm utterly stumped. All of my usual avenues (resetting the router, resetting the computer, resetting the adapter, updating the drivers, diagnostics, fiddling with the internet options--setting them manually and automatically) are bringing up nothing.

I do not and did not have any VPN clients installed. The only Cisco software that's touched the computer is Packet Tracer, which was uninstalled when I finished university four years ago.

I don't want to go back to Windows 7 without properly giving 10 a go, but if I can't play Elder Scrolls Online--or do anything, really--I'm not going to have much choice; I've been waiting weeks!

EDIT: It's a wireless connection.

:)

Trapezium, Sep 2, 2015

2. Automatic Internet/Network Selection

Hi.. I've got a nokia n97 and i can't access the internet because it keeps popping up Packet data connection not available..every 2 seconds and i mean that literally..! God it's annoyin!!! I hate the phone if i'm honest..nokia really messed up when they
    made this fone. I've taken it back to the shop to be exchanged once..yesterday it decided to send the same txt messages 25x to the same person.And then it wouldn't send or recieve any text messages. I've changed the packet data settings loads and nothing is
    working..can someone please help me or i'll end up smashing the fone up..! What a waste of money.I can't even get a refund as i got it sim free...not impressed at all...Please help :smileysad:

Moderator note: offensive term removed, please do not attempt to circumvent our language filters

Message Edited by michaels on 30-Oct-2009 03:37 PM

ryoko---01, Sep 2, 2015
  3. Automatic Internet/Network Selection

Most of the time for the browser it asks but the widgets freeze and my phone lags when i leave the wireless area.

Its very annoying!

I thought minimum the phone would have an option to search for WLAN and if it isnt available it will connect to 3G on its own!

raha_ang---01, Sep 2, 2015
  4. brummyfan Win User

Selective Internet

Hi Trapezium,
    Welcome to the forums, can you tell us the make and model of your Wi-Fi card, in the mean time try switching the DNS to either Open dns or google dns.

brummyfan, Sep 2, 2015
  5. Trapezium Win User
    I'm sorry, I could've sworn I specified that it was a wired connection.

My initial post has been edited for clarification.

Trapezium, Sep 2, 2015
  6. DustSailor, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Selective Internet

1. Selective Internet - Similar Threads - Selective Internet

2. Select wifi network connects for 2 seconds then says no internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Select wifi network connects for 2 seconds then says no internet: Hey everyone, yesterday I switched on my pc to find that it had connection to my network but it said “no internet, secured” Now after forgetting the network and reconnecting it would connect for about two seconds before disconnecting, the wifi works on my other devices and my...
  3. Select wifi network connects for 2 seconds then says no internet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Select wifi network connects for 2 seconds then says no internet: Hey everyone, yesterday I switched on my pc to find that it had connection to my network but it said “no internet, secured” Now after forgetting the network and reconnecting it would connect for about two seconds before disconnecting, the wifi works on my other devices and my...
  4. When I click print, using any program Office, internet etc. the program I select to print...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I click print, using any program Office, internet etc. the program I select to print...: When I click print, using any program Office, internet etc. the program I select to print in freezes. Printer options does not come up for me to select if I want to use a printer or print to PDF. I have tested my printer using my laptop and phone and it is working fine. Any...
  5. When I click print, using any program Office, internet etc. the program I select to print...

When I click print, using any program Office, internet etc. the program I select to print...: When I click print, using any program Office, internet etc. the program I select to print in freezes. Printer options does not come up for me to select if I want to use a printer or print to PDF. I have tested my printer using my laptop and phone and it is working fine. Any...
  6. When I click print, using any program Office, internet etc. the program I select to print...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Cannot select, Private, in Settings>Network & Internet>Ethernet>Ethernet Connected>Network...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot select, Private, in Settings>Network & Internet>Ethernet>Ethernet Connected>Network...: I cannot select the Private radio button, in Settings>Network & Internet>Ethernet>Ethernet Connected>Network Profile. The Network Profile, Public, radio button is selected when I get there. When I click to select the Private button, the public button is unselected AND the...
  8. Cannot select, Private, in Settings>Network & Internet>Ethernet>Ethernet Connected>Network...

Cannot select, Private, in Settings>Network & Internet>Ethernet>Ethernet Connected>Network...: I cannot select the Private radio button, in Settings>Network & Internet>Ethernet>Ethernet Connected>Network Profile. The Network Profile, Public, radio button is selected when I get there. When I click to select the Private button, the public button is unselected AND the...
  9. Cannot select, Private, in Settings>Network & Internet>Ethernet>Ethernet Connected>Network...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. Change Advanced Sharing Settings Selections Disables Internet Connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Advanced Sharing Settings Selections Disables Internet Connection: This has happened twice on 2 separate computers. Last night it was a windows 10 system connected to ethernet and it took me 4 hours to figure it out. After not finding any way to fix this tried resetting IP and several things I finally restored this to a restore point 2 days...