Windows 10: Selective mode doesn't get me beyond that nice photo at startup

Discus and support Selective mode doesn't get me beyond that nice photo at startup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In a last-ditch effort to resolve a problem with un-resizeable windows and undraggable icons, I decided to try selective mode options. So I brazenly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Guswah, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Guswah Win User

Selective mode doesn't get me beyond that nice photo at startup

In a last-ditch effort to resolve a problem with un-resizeable windows and undraggable icons, I decided to try selective mode options. So I brazenly entered selective mode and unchecked the two first boxes. Now I'm really stuck because Windows 10 only takes me to the pretty photo that typically starts the session. I see that the network drivers are disconnected, and no Sign in box to click. I've really left myself with nowhere to go.

Can anyone help me to get out of this mess? I'm grateful!

:)

Guswah, Nov 21, 2016

2. windows 10 shut down problem

I've been trying to fix a sick computer ALL DAY and it seems there is no way to get a Windows 10 computer to open in Safe Mode. At the Command prompts I have entered the command to restart in safe mode, but now CANNOT get the computer to turn off. The
    command SHUTDOWN doesn't work and the computer says "shutdown" is not a recognized command operable program or batch file. If I turn the computer off manually, it forgets that it is to restart in Safe Mode. This is beyond frustrating. What happened to a
    startup Function key to kick it into Safe Mode at startup?????

GWilliams_787, Nov 21, 2016
  3. mp8802 Win User
    Windows Photo Viewer is not displaying images properly after installing Windows 10

Thank you for replying. In Safe Mode with Networking I get a dialog saying Windows Photo Viewer doesn't work in Safe Mode. I performed a
    Clean boot (disabling startup items and non-Microsoft services) and the problem persisted. Acknowledging Windows Photo Viewer has no options menu, could there be any way to download / reinstall Windows Photo Viewer?

mp8802, Nov 21, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

Press the Enter key to be taken to the login screen

spunk, Nov 22, 2016
  5. Guswah Win User
    Ha! I wish it were that simple. Of course I pushed the Enter key, the Ctrl-Alt combinations, the Escape key, et cetera. None of that works.

Guswah, Nov 22, 2016
  6. Guswah,

Presuming you are at either the Sign-in screen where you enter a password...

Do you see a Network icon at the bottom right corner of the screen?
    If so, for a temporary solution, click on the Network icon, and then click on the screen.

Does the password box show up?

cottonball, Nov 22, 2016
  7. Guswah Win User
    When I click on the network icon I only get the blue screen on the right that says "Networks -- no connections are available."

Guswah, Nov 22, 2016
  8. Guswah Win User

Thanks for your efforts, Spunk and Cottonball.  In absence of a remedy to fit my situation I've decided to do a clean install.  It's installing as we speak, and let's consider this solved.

Guswah, Nov 23, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    Upgrading 10 if you did the Anniversary Update, causes the same issues as first installing 10 when it was RTM.

As for the Background at Login, since Lock Screen that was first screen was taken out. Microsoft has made it harder to use tools to change that background, same as Apple.

I am another one that does a personalized Login background. Static is better than Live, because it is not earing CPU cycles.

As for the WiFi not connecting at boot at login. I would change from the Live (email login) account, to a "Local" (Think Windoes 7, Local/Domain username). If you do not subc your Roaming Profile to Microsoft's "Cloud". The Local is a lot easier and Wifi seems to connect faster.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Selective mode doesn't get me beyond that nice photo at startup - Similar Threads - Selective mode doesn't

2. selecting photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    selecting photos: I'm trying to select specific photos to add to a file and it adds 29 others I don't want to add...any way around this? it didn't do this before...thanks! phil https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/selecting-photos/d2baaf42-fa84-4057-b99e-ed6ea928fb59
  3. App with ADMINISTRATOR MODE, selected as open on startup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    App with ADMINISTRATOR MODE, selected as open on startup.: Hi, I would like to ask a question. So I made an app that automatically already has administrator mode, open on startup.. But I don't want the popup that says run or something. Any toughts?Thanks!...
  4. App with ADMINISTRATOR MODE, selected as open on startup.

in Windows 10 Customization
    App with ADMINISTRATOR MODE, selected as open on startup.: Hi, I would like to ask a question. So I made an app that automatically already has administrator mode, open on startup.. But I don't want the popup that says run or something. Any toughts?Thanks!...
  5. App with ADMINISTRATOR MODE, selected as open on startup.

6. Windows10 doesn't update 2020H2 and beyond.

Windows10 doesn't update 2020H2 and beyond.: I use an Acer Nitro 5 purchased in 2018. I am getting this error when I try to update: 0x8007025d. I am not able to update to 2020H2 and beyond. I tried many methods suggested online. Nothing works. Please help....
  7. Startup Selection Reverts from Normal to Selective Startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Startup Selection Reverts from Normal to Selective Startup: When I select "normal startup" in System Config it always reverts back to "selective startup". All the boxes in Advanced T. S.have been cleared. I have read on this forum I'm not alone with this issue and isn't really a problem. My question is if I select the " make all boot...
  8. Windows 10 stuck in Selective Startup mode in MSCONFIG

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 stuck in Selective Startup mode in MSCONFIG: System Configuration Utility, popularly known as MSCONFIG, allows you to configure the startup behavior of Windows. It allows users to troubleshoot the load time, stability, and performance problems. It has been reported that Windows 10 gets stuck in Selective Startup, which...
  9. Windows startup won't go beyond Getting devices ready

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows startup won't go beyond Getting devices ready: How do I proceed beyond the message 'Getting devices ready' on a laptop. This problem started recently when I turned on the Windows 10 Pro laptop. Although I am not too sure, this problem was probably triggered by a corrupted Windows automatic update. Instead of getting the...
  10. Microsoft Photos WIN 10 "photo doesn't fit on the selected paper"

Microsoft Photos WIN 10 "photo doesn't fit on the selected paper": I have Microsoft Photos Windows 10, and I am trying to print a photo I was sent to 4 x 6 inch photo paper on a Canon inkjet photo printer. I don't know the size of the photo (don't know how to figure it out either). When I select paper size = 4" x 6" photo size 4" x 6" and...