Windows 10: Selective Win10 Updates (as in Win7)

Discus and support Selective Win10 Updates (as in Win7) in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi Last time I checked Win10 it was only possible to postpone installing certain Win updates that W10 found, nothing more. Is it EVER going to be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by soewhaty, Feb 1, 2016.

1. soewhaty Win User

Selective Win10 Updates (as in Win7)

Hi

Last time I checked Win10 it was only possible to postpone installing certain Win updates that W10 found, nothing more. Is it EVER going to be possible on W10 to do as in W7 ... namely install only the Win updates that the user wishes to install? If yes - how?

Thank you! : )

:)

soewhaty, Feb 1, 2016
  2. jbb_user Win User

Win7 / Win10 dual boot only boots to Win10

I have a home build machine with a dual partition for booting either Win7 or Win10 selectable.

The order was Win7 followed by Win10 in the menu.

The machine would always display a screen where I could select either Win7 or Win 10. If I didn't select in time the default was the first in the menu which was Win7

Starting this evening the machine no longer displays the selection menu but instead boots immediately and directly to Win10.

What's wrong?

How can I fix this so it works the original way?

jbb_user, Feb 1, 2016
  3. BIOS

Original OS Win7

Updated to OS Win10

Can I update the Win10 BIOS using Win7 update from hp.com?

ClintStringer, Feb 1, 2016
  4. Selective Win10 Updates (as in Win7)

That is a recurring issue already brought forward to MS.

jebuchanan, Feb 1, 2016
  5. soewhaty Win User
    Thank you for the reply. What's the progress on this issue, do u know?

I was hoping to hear from someone from Microsoft telling me whether or not they are EVER going to change this behaviour in Win10 or is it always gonna stay the way it is now.

soewhaty, Feb 1, 2016
  6. They are steadfastly refusing to budge on this.

jebuchanan, Feb 1, 2016
  7. soewhaty Win User
    Hahahahah ... poor MS! Then that means they are steadfastly refusing to have me (and I'm sure millions others) use Win10 at all .... LOL !!!!!!!!!!

PS - can we at least on Win8.1 install only the updates we want or is it the same there as on Win10?

soewhaty, Feb 1, 2016
  8. XweAponX Win User

I posted this on my FB wall, I'll have to repost it here:

Tutorial: How to avoid the dreaded Forced Windows 10 automatic update in Windows 7 (Windows 8 is similar).

1) SHUT OFF Auto Updates, "Never Check for Updates"
    2) "Show All Available Updates"
    3) Go To "Optional" and Right Click on Windows 10 - Choose "Hide" - Note, this has to be done every time. See Figures 3 and 4, after HIDING the Win 10 downdate, press "OK"
    4) Back at the Windows update screen, it no longer is forcing you to obtain Windows 10. Click on either of the blue links that says "2 Optional etc" or "6 Optional etc" to go in and select the updates individually.
    5) Just make sure you don't click on the Windows 10 button again!
    6) Do the same at the Important Updates screen.
    7) Press Ok and it will allow you to install ONLY the updates you chose.

That should be it, you should be good. Also, check your Auto Update setting after installing ALL updates, some updates turn Auto Updates back ON. So always check "Change Settings/CHOOSE how Windows will install Updates"

Oh - I misread the OP. Sorry. To do this, you must have Win 10 Pro. Use GPedit.msc to allow "Notify ONLY" for updates. The, use wushowhide.diagcab (not sure of the name) to selectively choose updates to hide. has saved me a lot of grief!

Selective Win10 Updates (as in Win7) [​IMG]

XweAponX, Feb 1, 2016
  9. soewhaty Win User
    Thank you so much for this suggestion:

Oh - I misread the OP. Sorry. To do this, you must have Win 10 Pro. Use GPedit.msc to allow "Notify ONLY" for updates. The, use wushowhide.diagcab (not sure of the name) to selectively choose updates to hide. has saved me a lot of grief!

1. Does it ONLY work with w10 Pro version? (EDITED)
    2. Where in GPedit.msc do I allow 'Notify ONLY' for updates?
    3. What is wushowhide.diagcab? Is it a component of Windows?

Edit: for whomever is reading this, note that the proposal from XweAponX works both with Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise versions, not ONLY with Pro, jsyk

soewhaty, Feb 2, 2016
  10. XweAponX Win User
    Yes it's only for pro, I'm not exactly sure where it is in the group editor, there is a post about this in this sub for it. Search for "hiding windows updates", I'll be in shortly to look for it, I am on my iPhone right now so I don't know how to search for it.. As for the last file Google it it's a Download you can get from Microsoft, it's a fix-it to all you just run it and it allows you to hide whatever updates are coming in so if you don't want any of them you don't have to have them.

XweAponX, Feb 2, 2016
  11. XweAponX Win User
    OK I found this posted after doing a search, I'm just going to paste it in here just do what it says and you'll be able to prevent any updating whatsoever as long as you want.

XweAponX, Feb 2, 2016
  12. XweAponX Win User
    Just do that and the only time you'll ever get an update is if you hit "check for updates" just keep your hands off of that and don't go into the update settings and you'll never have an update. Unless you want the updates and if you do, then you can use that diagcab to hide whatever updates you don't want.

XweAponX, Feb 2, 2016
  13. soewhaty Win User

I'll try all that and if it works .. what can I say? A huge thank you, man!

@jebuchanan - seems there is hope, after all.

soewhaty, Feb 2, 2016
  14. soewhaty Win User
    Just to add to that long post from @XweAponX ermm .... another thing to do in order to stop the Forced update to Win10 when on Win7/8/8.1 is to delete all entries of 'GWX' in OS partition. Just search for GWX in the partition and delete everything ... that's what I did and the thing went away...

soewhaty, Feb 2, 2016
  15. soewhaty Win User
    soewhaty, Feb 3, 2016
Thema:

1. Selective Win10 Updates (as in Win7) - Similar Threads - Selective Win10 Updates

2. updating win7 home to win10 pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    updating win7 home to win10 pro: Acer Aspire 5560 laptop.On my win10 desktop, I run MediaCreationTool22H2.exe to a clean 64Gb USB Data Key using all defaults and it makes it bootable. On the laptop, I boot with the USB drive inserted but I get a message saying it can't update this way. I must first boot into...
  3. updating win7 home to win10 pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    updating win7 home to win10 pro: Acer Aspire 5560 laptop.On my win10 desktop, I run MediaCreationTool22H2.exe to a clean 64Gb USB Data Key using all defaults and it makes it bootable. On the laptop, I boot with the USB drive inserted but I get a message saying it can't update this way. I must first boot into...
  4. updating win7 home to win10 pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Problem updating from WIN7 to WIN10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem updating from WIN7 to WIN10: I have a Dell computer from 2011. I'm trying to upgrade from WIN7 to WIN10.I got an error message when trying to run the MediaCreationTool21H2.exe. It says to reference the error code 0X80072F8F - 0X20000. Any suggestions would be appreciated....
  6. Problem updating from WIN7 to WIN10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem updating from WIN7 to WIN10: I have a Dell computer from 2011. I'm trying to upgrade from WIN7 to WIN10.I got an error message when trying to run the MediaCreationTool21H2.exe. It says to reference the error code 0X80072F8F - 0X20000. Any suggestions would be appreciated....
  7. Win7 on Win10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win7 on Win10?: Hey, When i boot up my windows 10 machine i get a classic windows 7 start up menu i believe it is when i made a win7 bootable but now i have this permanently. i went so far as to reset my pc nothing works. Please help! Link to video of what happens:...
  8. Win7 ---> Win10 Updates & Privacy

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win7 ---> Win10 Updates & Privacy: I'm reluctantly starting the process of upgrading from Win7 to Win10, and I have a few concerns. How does Windows 10 Home edition currently handle installing updates? What are the recommended tools/techniques for enhancing privacy? Most of the information I've found online...
  9. Direct update from Win7 to Win10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Direct update from Win7 to Win10: I've just done upgrade to Windows10 over internet. It is automatically activated. What I have to do if I want to do a fresh installation of windows10? Which version should I download in using Media Creation tool? which key will work? Here is the screenshot of show key...
  10. update win7 to win10 10074 problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    update win7 to win10 10074 problem: I can install the update it goes through all the motions, reboots, continues, asks for my permission, reboots again and looks as if it is actually installing win 10, then upon hitting 100% it reboots once more and reverts back to my original OS making it completely impossible...