Windows 10: Selling my motherboard. How do I "unactivate" Windows 10 on it?

Discus and support Selling my motherboard. How do I "unactivate" Windows 10 on it? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So I'm upgrading the processor on my gaming computer. Therefore, I need to sell the motherboard. On this computer, originally it had Windows 7,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by bobjoe, Jul 10, 2016.

1. bobjoe Win User

Selling my motherboard. How do I "unactivate" Windows 10 on it?

So I'm upgrading the processor on my gaming computer. Therefore, I need to sell the motherboard.

On this computer, originally it had Windows 7, later upgraded to Windows 10.

Since W10 uses hardware activation, how do I "un-activate" Windows 10 on this motherboard? I don't want to give the new owner a free W10 license (Sorry, I'm not that nice).

If it matters, I had RETAIL Windows 7 Home Premium before upgrading to W10. This SHOULD allow me to install and activate W7 on my new motherboard with no issues, and then later upgrade to W10, right?

:)

bobjoe, Jul 10, 2016
  2. farby Win User

my phone says " System Error " while i delete d broken images frm my phone memory...

Connect the Phone to PC and thru' Windows Explorer search for this file. If you find it Delete from there .. See if it works .

farby, Jul 10, 2016
  3. my phone says " System Error " while i delete d broken images frm my phone memory...

i hav C6 n it is givin me error when i delete the broken images it displays "systen error" although i dont have any images in my phone memory n m not usin memory card also... plzz help..

omkar_bartakke, Jul 10, 2016
  4. Mc Ruff Win User

You do not need to "unactivate" anything. Just sell the motherboard and install your retail windows 7 on the new system. Just make sure you upgrade it to Windows 10 before the end of the month or you will have to pay for the upgrade.

Your old motherboard will have to have a new operating system installed on it so will have a different key and will not be shown as your activation any longer

Mc Ruff, Jul 10, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    Just make sure to go into your Live account and remove it from there, if you are using a Roaming Profile instead of a Local account.

bro67, Jul 10, 2016
  6. bobjoe Win User
    But if the new owner connects to the internet, won't it automatically activate? I don't understand why you're saying it WON'T activate.

I don't have a Live account so my activation is not linked to an online account.

bobjoe, Jul 11, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    If not linked to a Microsoft Live account, you are fine. If you are just selling the Motherboard, the person buying it if you do not already have someone in mind, could be using it for a Linux Server or NAS. Now if you are selling the whole unit, I would sell it as a No OS installed. You find a lot of them on Newegg under the Refurb section all of the time.

bro67, Jul 11, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

The new owner will be able to install the same version of Windows 10 you had installed on it and it will activate with a digital entitlement. There's nothing you can do about it, that's Microsoft's problem.

Not if the same version of Windows 10 is installed on it. Windows 10 activations coming from upgrades from Windows 7/8/8.1 are based on digital entitlements created and stored on Microsoft activation servers based on the hardware ID of the motherboard. The product key stays the same. All Windows 10 Pro upgrades from Windows 7/8/8.1 get product key VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T, for example.

NavyLCDR, Jul 11, 2016
  9. bobjoe Win User
    Thanks for the clarification.

But on my new motherboard and new CPU, will I be able to activate my W7 retail fine, and then get a digital entitlement for W10 Home as well?

bobjoe, Jul 11, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yep. The only problem you might have is that the Windows 7 product key might be blocked from automatic online activation. All that means is that you will have to call the toll free activation phone number and tell the computer voice that you have that copy of Windows 7 installed on only one computer.

My three license family pack Windows 7 product key is blocked from automatic online activation and that is what I have to do to transfer it legally to a new computer.

NavyLCDR, Jul 11, 2016
  11. bobjoe Win User
    Thanks for your quick response. I guess MS is so desperate to get everyone on W10 that they don't allow you to unregister it from your mobo. Huh!

bobjoe, Jul 11, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    I think it is more a purely financial decision. It would just cost more money to write the code and modify the activation process than it would make for them. How much money is Microsoft going to lose when a person buys a used motherboard or computer on ebay that had a digital entitlement assigned to it from an upgrade of a retail Windows 7/8/8.1 and the new owner, with no previous Windows license, re-installs Windows 10 on it? And in order for Microsoft to recover the cost even if they did make a way for a user to revoke the digital entitlement, the new owner would have to put a newly purchased Windows license on it.

I know if I was in charge of Microsoft, it's something that I wouldn't bother with Selling my motherboard. How do I "unactivate" Windows 10 on it? :).

NavyLCDR, Jul 11, 2016
  13. bro67 Win User

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Selling my motherboard. How do I "unactivate" Windows 10 on it? - Similar Threads - Selling motherboard unactivate

2. Is it legal to a sell a PC with a free version UNactivated, no license of Windows 10 installed?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it legal to a sell a PC with a free version UNactivated, no license of Windows 10 installed?: We are an OEM that mostly sell to business customers. Most of our customers have their own license agreement and would like to use their own version of Windows image. My question is, if we build our machine with an unactrivated windows system, will it violate Windows service...
  3. Is it legal to a sell a PC with a free version UNactivated, no license of Windows 10 installed?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it legal to a sell a PC with a free version UNactivated, no license of Windows 10 installed?: We are an OEM that mostly sell to business customers. Most of our customers have their own license agreement and would like to use their own version of Windows image. My question is, if we build our machine with an unactrivated windows system, will it violate Windows service...
  4. Is it legal to a sell a PC with a free version UNactivated, no license of Windows 10 installed?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. I reset windows 11 to sell my laptop. How do i check it before I sell it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I reset windows 11 to sell my laptop. How do i check it before I sell it?: I completely wiped my pc for sale on ebay but, how do I check to make sure its all set for sale. I need to give my internet access which is ok but then I need to sign in....huh? any work arounds?...
  6. I reset windows 11 to sell my laptop. How do i check it before I sell it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I reset windows 11 to sell my laptop. How do i check it before I sell it?: I completely wiped my pc for sale on ebay but, how do I check to make sure its all set for sale. I need to give my internet access which is ok but then I need to sign in....huh? any work arounds?...
  7. Selling motherboard

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Selling motherboard: Hey everyone! I have a question about windows 10 and motherboard. There is anything to do before i sell my mobo? Slmgr says it's an OEM windows, i do remove the device from account.microsoft.com/devices The new owner don't need to buy a new key? submitted by /u/ben_aloha...
  8. How do I activate windows 10 home on unactivated windows 10 pro?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I activate windows 10 home on unactivated windows 10 pro?: Hi all, I recently built a computer I used a flash drive and selected windows 10 home to install. I did not activate a code at that time, but I want to now. I will be activating windows 10 home. My question is how do I erase every thing on my drive including the unactivated...
  9. Windows 10 Pro Unactivated After Upgrading Motherboard and CPU

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Pro Unactivated After Upgrading Motherboard and CPU: I've tried troubleshooting like the website had told me to and it did not help. I originally had Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and now it says I need to activate windows. I upgraded my motherboard, cpu, and heatsink and I used the computer for a few hours and only now the activate...
  10. Selling laptop, how do I 'reset' Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Selling laptop, how do I 'reset' Windows 10?: I'm selling my laptop. Is there anyway I can reset windows, or somehow remove my personal information? I have already backed up everything I need. Thanks! 114096

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 and selling motherboard