Windows 10: Selling old build, question on sending it without a drive

Discus and support Selling old build, question on sending it without a drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all, Selling an old build to a friend of mine. I'm keeping my drives, he's getting everything else. Is there anything I need to do outside of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cwburns32, Mar 10, 2017.

1. cwburns32 Win User

Selling old build, question on sending it without a drive

Hello all,

Selling an old build to a friend of mine. I'm keeping my drives, he's getting everything else. Is there anything I need to do outside of unplugging the drives and sending the computer on it's way? I intend to wipe the SSD which has my OS on it currently (starting fresh on a NVMe SSD) and won't have to bother with HDD as their are no paths to it...just data I manually placed on there.

Please let me know if there are proper steps to take here in doing this. Thank you.

:)

cwburns32, Mar 10, 2017

2. Printshop Deluxe 23.1 is not working on Windows 10.

Tried it with my disc without sucess probably past its sell by date as it is now quite old

JacobaHewitt, Mar 10, 2017
  3. firebLT Win User
    win10 for computer builders

Hey ,

I would like to build and sell custom build Pc .

Question about operating system, how to get a license, lets say for 10 to 100 new build machines?

thanks for any adwise or help

firebLT, Mar 10, 2017
  4. RolandJS Win User

Is it an Windows OEM or a Windows Retail that you are "moving" from the old computer onto your new computer?

RolandJS, Mar 10, 2017
  5. cwburns32 Win User
    I have a a Win 10 64-bit System Builder OEM DVD copy. I will be installing this fresh onto my new NVMe SSD on my new build via bootable UEFI USB. My friend has a copy of Window as well and will be installing that onto my old build with one of his drives.

cwburns32, Mar 10, 2017
  6. Plankton Win User
    Nope....there is no problem at all doing what you're asking. The only concern would be the hardware....as long as it's fully functional now, there should be no issues.

All your friend would have to do is buy a HDD and install his copy of windows. I do it all the time with my builds....but I pass my old builds down to my kids.

Plankton, Mar 10, 2017
  7. cwburns32 Win User
    Yeah I know before you weren't able to move System Build/OEM version of Windows...something about it being permanently installed onto MoBo. I know with a more recent Windows 10 update you are now able to link your Windows key to your Microsoft account (which mine is) so once you activate all you have to do is enter your username and password to Microsoft account and you are good to go.

I guess my question, more so now is, how do I properly wipe my 850 Pro? Can I use Samsung Magician to do a secure wipe on it while I am booted into my OS? Is there a better method to use? I know you can use diskpart but am curious what happens when you execute the wipe if you are in OS? Same goes for Magician.

cwburns32, Mar 10, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

All you have to do is delete all the existing partitions on the drive during the Windows 10 install. That will result in one big unallocated space on the drive. Select the unallocated space and click next to let Windows set it up.

NavyLCDR, Mar 10, 2017
  9. cwburns32 Win User
    No, I believe you are misunderstanding me and maybe I'm not explaining correctly.

I have an 850 Pro that my current OS is on, I want to wipe that completely but it will not be plugged in when install Windows 10 because I will be doing that on my new NVMe SSD (best practice not to have any other drives plugged in). My question is how to properly wipe my 850 Pro before I install Win10 on diff drive, in new build. I'm reusing 850 Pro for programs and games in my new build.

cwburns32, Mar 10, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes, I was misunderstanding, but the answer is pretty much the same. The easiest way to do it is from within Windows, and you can do it after you install it as the second drive in the new computer. From a Command Prompt (Admin):

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # <replace # with the drive you want to erase found by list disk
    clean
    exit
    exit

Then create and format whatever partition(s) you want on it. If you want to create the partition in diskpart, before the first exit command run:

create partition primary
    format fs=NTFS quick

Code: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393] (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\WINDOWS\system32>diskpart Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.14393.0 Copyright (C) 1999-2013 Microsoft Corporation. On computer: JOHN-LAPTOP DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 447 GB 9 MB * Disk 1 Online 931 GB 2048 KB * Disk 2 No Media 0 B 0 B Disk 3 Online 7496 MB 7495 MB DISKPART> select disk 3 Disk 3 is now the selected disk. DISKPART> clean DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk. DISKPART> create partition primary DiskPart succeeded in creating the specified partition. DISKPART> format fs=NTFS quick 100 percent completed DiskPart successfully formatted the volume. DISKPART> exit Leaving DiskPart... C:\WINDOWS\system32>exit[/quote]

NavyLCDR, Mar 10, 2017
  11. cwburns32 Win User
    [/quote] Okay, thank you for the thorough response here. Any issues having both SSDs (each with an OS, one new, one old) plugged in upon boot or should I plug in my old SSD after I boot into Windows and then wipe it? Getting ready to rock on this right now!

cwburns32, Mar 10, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    The only issue will be to be sure to pick the correct SSD to boot from in UEFI after you connect the second SSD. When you do the clean command on the second SSD, it will erase the EFI system partition on it so you should not see it as a boot option in UEFI after that.

NavyLCDR, Mar 10, 2017
  13. cwburns32 Win User

Connect post boot not an option then? I do have 1 eSATA port and 1 Power eSATA port on my current MoBo....was thinking I could maybe use one of them if not I of course have the SATA slots in the MoBo. If not I can just be sure to boot from my new SSD with clean install if I need to boot with both of them plugged in.

cwburns32, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Selling old build, question on sending it without a drive - Similar Threads - Selling old build

2. Company selling some of their old laptops

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Company selling some of their old laptops: The company I work at wants to sell some of their old laptops. Is it legal to sell these old laptops with Windows 10 installed on it? Does the license type matter oem, retail, etc.? Does it matter that we have OLP?Of course the laptop will be factory reset prior to sale so it...
  3. Company selling some of their old laptops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Company selling some of their old laptops: The company I work at wants to sell some of their old laptops. Is it legal to sell these old laptops with Windows 10 installed on it? Does the license type matter oem, retail, etc.? Does it matter that we have OLP?Of course the laptop will be factory reset prior to sale so it...
  4. Company selling some of their old laptops

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Question about wiping laptop to sell later

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about wiping laptop to sell later: I'm resetting my wife's old laptop so we can sell it. When the reset is complete, and Windows starts wanting me to add a name, location and all the other personalization stuff, is it possible to simply shut off the laptop at that time without entering any info like that? I...
  6. steps before selling my old laptop

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    steps before selling my old laptop: What steps should I take to delete my Microsoft account from the PC before selling? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/steps-before-selling-my-old-laptop/e47db7ed-9556-4991-994d-59d51c675862
  7. Documents - "Send to" Question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents - "Send to" Question: Documents – “Send to” Question I recently reinstalled Windows 10. I had a backup of my Documents folder on an external drive. In the external drive, I clicked on “Send to” Documents. What occurred was the Documents folder was listed as a separate folder in my Windows 10...
  8. Selling windows without a product key.

Selling windows without a product key.: Is it legal to sell windows 10, or other versions of windows, without a product key? Or is it only legal to get the download from microsoft or a disk from someone with authorization from microsoft to sell windows?...
  9. Using windows recovery and selling PC question

Using windows recovery and selling PC question: Hi, I'm selling my PC and wanted to reinstall windows, I used the windows 10 recovery option to reinstall it. I was hoping that it would reinstall with an unactivated version of windows, but it reinstalled and used my license. Can I just sell the PC as is or is the...
  10. Question on Windows Old using Build 10525

in Windows 10 Support
    Question on Windows Old using Build 10525: I was wondering if it would be OK to remove Windows Old in this build? I can always go back to the RTM with MR. 17547