Windows 10: semaphore timeout period has expired

Discus and support semaphore timeout period has expired in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hello again... dang this thing is a pain!! new issue today, trying to save a tiny .rtf file to external USB drive, and get "semaphore timeout... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Fish62858, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Fish62858 Win User

semaphore timeout period has expired

hello again...

dang this thing is a pain!!

new issue today, trying to save a tiny .rtf file to external USB drive, and get "semaphore timeout period has expired" message and have to save to local drive instead. also get the message if i drag and drop into the desired location.

perhaps related to the issue i occasionally have: the machine loses connection to the external drive and either the folder shows empty (it's not!) or doesn't show as even being connected. little blue light on the drive will sometimes go out, sometimes not, but still no access...

EDIT: i have two verbatim USB drive attached... one or the other of them will occasional disappear from This PC and when i look at device manager there is an error on that drive. i disconnect and reconnect and the drives show up and the error in device manger goes away... there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why this happens. when it does and i try to save something to the drive, that's when i get the "semaphore timeout period has expired"

i have tried to update drivers using windows search online and it always says i have the best drivers loaded....

the drives have been checked for errors and windows reports none... there is still quite a bit of available space on them (80+ gigs on each) and when they are connected and live, i can access files with no problem... it just decides to seemingly drop the drive randomly...

thanks for any help...

:)

Fish62858, Feb 3, 2016
  2. RossTJ Win User

The semaphore timeout period has expired

The problem probably started a couple of months ago, and has progressively getting worse, ie happening more often. I've now updated the drivers as you suggested but I'm still having the same issues. It's not even just related to the backup, even just
    trying to open a file comes up with the error. There haven't been any changes to the system apart from Windows updates. No other computers are connected to this NAS. It seems that it can be resolved by restarting the NAS and/or the PC, but it only lasts
    for a little while until the same issue arises.

RossTJ, Feb 3, 2016
  3. Semaphore Timeout Period has Expired

Hello Tom,

I request you to use the hardware troubleshooter to fix the issue

The Hardware Troubleshooter is an automated tool which will check the hardware connected to the computer for any known issues with it and provides the details and on how to fix them. Follow these steps and run the troubleshooter.

Follow these steps:

• Press Windows key to get the Start menu.
    • Type Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner.
    • Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Feb 3, 2016
Thema:

semaphore timeout period has expired

1. semaphore timeout period has expired - Similar Threads - semaphore timeout period

2. This Operation Returned Because Timeout period Expired

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    This Operation Returned Because Timeout period Expired: Hey all, so im having an issue launching Minecraft Dungeons from the microsoft store. It isnt launching and it says this plz help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/this-operation-returned-because-timeout-period/948de1d2-2d49-4026-b9c2-c2bc8f31da43
  3. Error 0x80070079: The semaphore timeout period has expired Windows 10 Teams

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error 0x80070079: The semaphore timeout period has expired Windows 10 Teams: Hello, I am copying some files from Onedrive already sync to my computer and copying them from my file explorer to my corporate Team on Microsoft Teams app, but for a variety of files excel, power point, mails from outlook it is shown this error message. Must of the files...
  4. This Operation Returned Because Timeout period Expired

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    This Operation Returned Because Timeout period Expired: All UWP games now return the above error a while after attempting to start. All were working fine a couple of days ago https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/this-operation-returned-because-timeout-period/052408ea-6886-4427-92f4-e47cd61b667b
  5. Macrium Reflect Clone - The semaphore timeout period has expired

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect Clone - The semaphore timeout period has expired: Hi there, I was using Macrium Reflect to clone my boot disk to a USB attached SSD. The SSD was originally formatted as a Windows 7 boot disk out of my laptop. When I setup the clone, I had Macrium delete the three partitions on the SSD. About 10 minutes into the operation,...
  6. Error Code 0x80070079 The semaphore timeout period has expired.

Error Code 0x80070079 The semaphore timeout period has expired.: I have saved my design files to an 4tb with no problem until today. Error code 0x80070079. The semaphore timeout period has expired. HELP...
  7. Backup Error 0x81000039 semaphore timeout period has expired

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup Error 0x81000039 semaphore timeout period has expired: Hi i was backing up my desktop 1 TB Internal to a Portable External 2TB HDD and i got this error ~ Windows encountered an error when accessing the remote shared folder The Semaphore timeout period has expired error code 0x81000039 Can anyone assist please simple step...
  8. The semaphore timeout period has expired when I try to access my Seagate expansion usb hard...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The semaphore timeout period has expired when I try to access my Seagate expansion usb hard...: ok the drive is ok and I can still view and copy or paste files and folder using my old computer. I got a new computer now and windows throws up this error when I try to view whats on the drive. I have run sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image. I have tried...
  9. This Operation Returned Because Timeout period Expired

This Operation Returned Because Timeout period Expired: Hello all. I have a problem when opening an application that I installed from Microsoft Store and also when opening the Task Manager and Windows Start. when opening the application there was the words "This Operation Returned Because Timeout period Expired" when I open the...
  10. semaphore timeout period has expired

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    semaphore timeout period has expired: So I had an issue with this external HDD a few days ago. It simply was not showing up and I still have no idea how it fixed. That thread is here: External HDD not Initializing, Not in , Need Recovery! - Solved - Windows 10 Forums Now the same drive is doing something a...